Home > General > I KNEW IT - PULLED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF FITTING A PRIVATE PLATE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
No, the police.

In your experience, do you think the police will devote much time to this?

Because I see loads of these fudged plates every day and hardly ever see a police car...
Like black classic style plates on black cars because they look "cool". Rolling Eyes

Best one of the weekend was on a black Disco. JE51 CAX rearranged on the back for JE51CA (looked like Jesica) with the X on a seperate line all on it's own. Rolling Eyes

Post #19221 1st Jun 2010 4:42pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

what really galls me is the Police are expected to enforce number plates being mis-spaced, yet DVLA are selling plates that would be almost worthless unless you mis-spaced the lettering - and actively encouraging you to buy them - how bloody crazy is that.

Post #19223 1st Jun 2010 4:59pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Fox wrote:
Quote:
No, the police.

In your experience, do you think the police will devote much time to this?

Because I see loads of these fudged plates every day and hardly ever see a police car...
Like black classic style plates on black cars because they look "cool". Rolling Eyes

Best one of the weekend was on a black Disco. JE51 CAX rearranged on the back for JE51CA (looked like Jesica) with the X on a seperate line all on it's own. Rolling Eyes

Depends where you live. Up here in Birmingham, it won't get enforced as everyone is too busy attending street robberies, disorders, domestics and the like! I personally dont get any downtime to go looking for offences like this, which in fairness are minor in the grand scheme of things. Only traffic seem to have any "spare" time on their hands and they are always busy with something else, like pre-planned operations etc.

Vogue wrote:
what really galls me is the Police are expected to enforce number plates being mis-spaced, yet DVLA are selling plates that would be almost worthless unless you mis-spaced the lettering - and actively encouraging you to buy them - how bloody crazy is that.

We aren't expected to 'enforce' it per se - DVLA just request that if anyone is stopped with an offending plate, they'd like to know about it. But you're quite correct - they shouldn't be selling them. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #19226 1st Jun 2010 5:33pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Question for the original poster - did you get these plates made up at a registered seller?
If so, I am stunned they made them with the wrong spacing. If you didn't, then sorry you've broken a traffic rule/reg by also displaying non confirming plates Wink

Go with something legal and all is fine Smile Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #19229 1st Jun 2010 5:48pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Vogue wrote:
how bloody crazy is that.

Depends on which sit of the fence you are on....... It is an excellent system if you are in government.

Sell the plates for a premium
Fine for illegal (mis)representation
Reclaim the plate for being misused
Sell it again.

Rolling Eyes The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #19232 1st Jun 2010 6:02pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

[quote="noddy"]Only traffic seem to have any "spare" time on their hands and they are always busy with something else, like pre-planned operations etc.[quote]

This is where your most likely to get caught. Traffic set up these operations for various reason such as diesel dipping or insurance checks. Once pulled though they will go over your car carefully and prosecute any other offences.

Like noddy says, your chances of bring pulled increase greatly in areas where the cops have f Censored K all to do, such as wales Very Happy You probably wouldn't get done for your dodgy plate in Birmingham because you'd be far too busy getting raped Shocked

Post #19234 1st Jun 2010 6:07pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I agree with Thrashers observations, its more difficult to get a number plate than a passport by legit means these days. That isn't an accident.. I recently bought plates at Driffieild with something other than a vehicle vrm on... (different hobby / anorak) but they don't have a post code on of the seller/maker or BS marker on them so they would never be deemed legal even if the spacing were correct.

And, to be fair to the DVLA, the rules about mis-spacing are clearly written up as part of the terms and conditions when you buy on line. Though as this were a present / gift you would be unaware of this.

I've had private plates for 27 years, Though I've been pulled once, fortunately I was fully legal and on my way at silly o'clock in the morning after leaving my lover for the week to head to the regional police training centre in an Astra GTE.... and I'd have pulled me over to given the time and amount of stolen GTE's at the time / period.... so yes I'm biased. Wink

Post #19241 1st Jun 2010 7:06pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I can never understand why reg plates aren't more tightly controlled i.e. DVLA should have their own regional units (as they do for car tax replacements etc) that actually make them to a standard in the first place. The only people who need plates in a rush are ones who've been in a minor accident or bought a trailer/caravan etc so this could be something you would request at a regional office who would then have them made as a priority and sent out to you. They could make loads of money on the postage alone!! I agree about the DVLA private plates scenario though, they jumped on the private plate bandwagon and then are surpirsed when people start to tailor them to their own needs. They would have been better just sticking to the standard system where a car had to have the reg associated with its year of registration.My rant is over!!! Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #19242 1st Jun 2010 7:13pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I think you should leave plates alone or get nicked. If you allow your change then every tom, jock, pat, darvid, dick & shiraz can and should get away with any font size & spacing they choose IMHO. Rolling Eyes

Post #19245 1st Jun 2010 8:11pm
Shaun the Sheep

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Re: I KNEW IT - PULLED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF FITTING A PRIVATE P

[quote="noddy"][quote="doublejay"]Censored Censored Censored

Just remember- if you're sat in the back of one of our cars, its not because the officer wants to tell you how good your driving is! Thumbs Up

I have even had a note from my local PC to tell me good my driving is, it said "Parking Fine" Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #19347 3rd Jun 2010 2:17am
doublejay

Well, I'm pleased to hears Noddy's comments.

I know that there are no "degrees of wrongness" (any lawyers want to remind me of the correct term???) with this law and either you are compliant, or you a not compliant......but considering some of the garbage that seems to be quite common in number plates, I'm a bit miffed that I got pulled.

TO be clear, only typeface is allowed. No styling, italics etc. 3D dropshadow is a permitted alternative but this again is pre-designed for you.

When I think of all the black or yellow screws placed to make I.I into U or a P into an F or whatever....when I think of the italics, chrome, playboy bunnies that I regard as "not uncommon" in daily life, I feel bit unlucky that plod chose me.

And what of the bikers ?? The ones that cut down the size of their plates to the size of a fag packet ?

Truth is, my plate is still very easy to read, when some are not and attempt to deliberately mislead or change letters...

but I get the ticket cos I'm the Range Rover driving in Lllllandidliocwnbryaniogigogogogoorian.

Any offence to the welsh is intentional.

moan over.

Post #19360 3rd Jun 2010 10:19am
paultuk

United Kingdom 

I get tempted sometimes to mess with my spacing!!!!!

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/download/file.php?id=2672

Post #19437 4th Jun 2010 11:36pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

paultuk wrote:
I get tempted sometimes to mess with my spacing!!!!!

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/download/file.php?id=2672

I don't think you need to... I read what you're saying dude Smile

Does the back say Full?

Post #19439 5th Jun 2010 2:29am
Turbo Tony

United Kingdom 

[quote="hoppy_70"]

noddy wrote:
You probably wouldn't get done for your dodgy plate in Birmingham because you'd be far too busy getting raped Shocked

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Researching my first Range Rover purchase

Post #19443 5th Jun 2010 9:47am
Pauld

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I have been stopped a couple of time about my plate. It is 3 letters and a number, and on the plate there are no gaps between the letters and the number.

On both occasions I have been told that there should be a space.

My reply has been that the DVLA disagree, on both the log book and the certificate to make plates there is no gap (and when I had some made the supplier was adamant that there should not be a gap).

I keep the documents with me to prove the point, and on both occasions the police office has scratched his head and sent me on my way.

It is annoying as there is no benefit of not having a gap. The letters and numbers are random. It does occur to me that I have been stopped because the police have nothing better to do, or are looking for a reason so do a stop.

Post #19448 5th Jun 2010 2:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>