Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > I KNEW IT - PULLED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF FITTING A PRIVATE PLATE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
doublejay

I KNEW IT - PULLED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF FITTING A PRIVATE PLATE

Censored Censored Censored

I'm fuming. I've been driving for 20 years and never bother with a private plate. My wife bought one for to go with the Range. It's been fitted 2 week and I get stopped by the Censored Censored police in Wales.

Let say my plate is "J61 JNV". I have change the space, to read "J61J NV". ie moved the spaced. Now of course, to the letter of the law, you're not spposed to change it in any way. I have no fancy font, no black screw caps to change letters, nothing. All standard apart from the space.

The Censored Censored sat me in his car, did the usual "I could write you up for £1000 with the DVLA" lalalalal garbage and issued a ticket for me to get it changed and stamped by a MOT garage as legal.

He said it was recorded on a camera positioned back up the road who would have sent details to the DVLA. He also said if it's not recorded as 'fixed' within 14 days, my car is marked and any look up with reveal "EVIDENCE to prosecute".

So, before go on a ballistic style rant, I know that at least one reader on this forum is a member of her majesty's finest.....and I wondered if they had any advice for me ?

Neutral

Post #19087 29th May 2010 7:12pm
simonmanx

Isle Of Man 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

I get pulled everytime im in the uk when I pass one of those camears as my reg is not on the uk database Big Cry It does Censored you off when they can see the isle of man flag on the plate too very clearly

Post #19088 29th May 2010 7:17pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Seems harsh to me..... The spacing of the numbers isn't crucial to anything. ANPR can still read it and the speed cameras still work.

You would probably get away with it 9 times out of ten, except in Wales!

Also, the sad reality is that it also counts as a warning. If you get done again then they can return the plate to the DVLA with NO compensation to you (a rip off!)

If you want my advice, and you want to keep the plate, i'd change it to standard and leave it that way. Censored innit Twisted Evil

Post #19097 29th May 2010 7:54pm
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Buy a decent plate that doesn't need mucking about with. You won't have issues with the BiB and it will look much better on the car, too. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #19108 30th May 2010 5:17am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Problem with this kind of thing is what is OK and what isn't.
Any change from legal isn't allowed, otherwise where do the police draw the line on an altered plate that's still legible?

I think it's also why non-age related or better private plates are so expensive, and sometimes ones that need to be "fiddled with" are cheaper.

When I bought TOP 90 for my defender 90 it cost me 3k, but at least it was 100% legal. A policeman once even asked once when I was parked if it was really the reg number as I had it on the cage over the windscreen on a small plate (regs said then only 10mm of white round the digits)... quick DVLA check and he was happy. Smile

Post #19112 30th May 2010 10:33am
v8 andy

England 

GKP wrote:
Buy a decent plate that doesn't need mucking about with. You won't have issues with the BiB and it will look much better on the car, too.

i agree buy a proper pp instead of those £245 snatch plates off dvla.

andy. always here to entertain,,,,lol.

Post #19113 30th May 2010 10:38am
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Perhaps Noddy could confirm to me if altering can still be picked up by ANPR?

I had that reason given to me before - not for a Black screw but because my car had standard yellow ones on with one over a number which he said stopped the ANPR from working Rolling Eyes

I thought the PC was using it as a bit of an excuse at the time

Post #19176 1st Jun 2010 12:41am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

They use loads of excusses.

My Mrs was waiting for the eldest, parked on double yellows (Blue Badge), they flashed her to move on, she showed the badge, they then said no insurance showing, to save face, but let her on her way, when the eldest arrived.

Post #19179 1st Jun 2010 8:10am
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

ANPR wouldn't care if your plate was on upside down. It's a clever bit of kit. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #19184 1st Jun 2010 9:49am
hoppy_70

Anpr won't misread letters that are mis-spaced unless they were so close together that they were touching or a screw cap interfered with the shape of the letter. Anpr provides the 'ring of steel' around London and other major towns that protect againt terrorism (amongst other things), which is the reason for the rules on plates being tightened in the first place.

So more often than not there's a good reason for getting a ticket even if it can be a bitter pill to swallow.....

Post #19196 1st Jun 2010 11:49am
hoppy_70

Anpr won't misread letters that are mis-spaced unless they were so close together that they were touching or a screw cap interfered with the shape of the letter. Anpr provides the 'ring of steel' around London and other major towns that protect againt terrorism (amongst other things), which is the reason for the rules on plates being tightened in the first place.

So more often than not there's a good reason for getting a ticket even if it can be a bitter pill to swallow.....

Post #19197 1st Jun 2010 11:50am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I can see the attraction with certain plates, and the temptation to mis-space them, but it's not worth it.Not only is it illegal, but DVLA are now requesting details of offending vehicles and have the power to recall them.

You don't own the plate, even though you've "paid" for it. DVLA are issuing Q plates to habitual offenders and you don't want one of those!

ANPR does struggle sometimes with mis-spaced plates. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #19201 1st Jun 2010 1:50pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
but DVLA are now requesting details of offending vehicles and have the power to recall them.

Requesting from whom Noddy, the public?

Post #19218 1st Jun 2010 4:05pm
Andy

No, the police. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #19219 1st Jun 2010 4:28pm
Andy

Re: I KNEW IT - PULLED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF FITTING A PRIVATE P

doublejay wrote:
Censored Censored Censored

I'm fuming. I've been driving for 20 years and never bother with a private plate. My wife bought one for to go with the Range. It's been fitted 2 week and I get stopped by the Censored Censored police in Wales.

Let say my plate is "J61 JNV". I have change the space, to read "J61J NV". ie moved the spaced. Now of course, to the letter of the law, you're not spposed to change it in any way. I have no fancy font, no black screw caps to change letters, nothing. All standard apart from the space.

The Censored Censored sat me in his car, did the usual "I could write you up for £1000 with the DVLA" lalalalal garbage and issued a ticket for me to get it changed and stamped by a MOT garage as legal.

He said it was recorded on a camera positioned back up the road who would have sent details to the DVLA. He also said if it's not recorded as 'fixed' within 14 days, my car is marked and any look up with reveal "EVIDENCE to prosecute".

So, before go on a ballistic style rant, I know that at least one reader on this forum is a member of her majesty's finest.....and I wondered if they had any advice for me ?

Neutral

Assuming that's your plate, what does J61J NV supposed to display?

So you've been issued with a VDRS form. That's not bad. You could have had £30 ticket for failing to display a registration mark, so you've done well.

I like how you slag off the officer as 'censored', but he/she could have been a lot harder on you.

Just remember- if you're sat in the back of one of our cars, its not because the officer wants to tell you how good your driving is! Thumbs Up

As for advice - I'd put it back to standard or as had been said, buy a plate you don't have to mess with! If you leave it and you're pulled again - well lets just say I hope you didn't pay too much for that plate as you will lose it! 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #19220 1st Jun 2010 4:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>