Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > They do work - LED rear Tail/Fog light bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
They do work - LED rear Tail/Fog light bulbs

Here is the end result of this thread. A still image of the Supercharged rear tail/ fog aftermarket LED bulbs in situ and close up in the dark:

***************************This is how the thread started*************************************:

Has anyone changed their OE incandescent rear light unit bulbs to LED bulbs (specifically the tail & rear fog lamp bulbs)?

The factory brake lights on the 4.2SC are LED anyway and I’ve already fitted good LED indicator bulbs all round.

I’m hearing stories of potential problems occurring if swapping the tail and rear fog lamp bulbs from OE to LED such as lights not working due to issues relevant to the twin filament and/ or redundant parts of the bulb. In order to change, 2 bulbs are required for each side of the car. I’ve found LED bulbs (link at the foot of this post) that the seller says are suitable canbus, error free, straight swap, plug and play. However, before buying them I just wondered if any members please had experience of changing these bulbs to LED?

Here is the layout of the rear light unit (tail lamp assembly) followed by some brief technical info as I understand it/ as summarised from the manual:
Click image to enlarge

Diagram Item 8 – Upper Lamp Aperture – This bulb is solely for a red tail light but the 21W part of the bulb is redundant. It uses a P21W/5W bulb on 4.4L V8 models and a PR21/5W bulb on 4.2L V8 supercharged models. Only the 5W filament is used for the tail lamp, with the 21W filament not used by any function.

Diagram Item 9 – Lower Lamp Aperture – This bulb is for a red tail/ fog light. The rear fog lamp uses different bulbs depending on model. On 4.4L V8 models the rear fog lamp uses a P21W bayonet fitting bulb. On 4.2L V8 supercharged models the rear fog lamp uses a PR21W. This is also used for the tail lamp, operated by a PWM output from the LCM to produce a lower wattage output than the fog lamp.

The bulbs need to be bayonet fitment and these are the type I am considering, subject to replies to this post:
1157 BAY15d P21/5W CANBUS SMD LED Stop/Tail bulbs RED

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1157-BAY15d-P21-...4572573901

Thanks

Last edited by pld118 on 28th Jan 2014 1:01pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #231678 28th Dec 2013 7:50am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

As they state CANBUS error free - you can send them back if they don't work.

Most LED's don't have sufficient load/resistance, so the electronics on the car think the bulb is blown and keeps telling you to check them.

Some bulbs have built in ballast to stop that happening.

Post #231691 28th Dec 2013 9:48am
pld118

Thanks Alistair, anecdotally, I'd heard mention that in some cases, inserting LED bulbs in these 2 particular bulb housings could cause all of the lights not to work and was just wondering if they might cause damage to the car.

Post #231692 28th Dec 2013 9:53am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Not heard that one - better wait for some proper experts before ordering any Laughing

I never put LED's in the rear, I did have them in the front of my old car, but got errors and needed to solder in some ballast resistors. A mate then bought some CANBUS units and they were fine.

I only did it to get them to colour match the headlights. Why bother on the rear ?

Post #231696 28th Dec 2013 10:20am
pld118

Reason for doing the rear is that the rear of the car currently has LED brake lights and indicators and I want a crisp uniform look as opposed to a mixture of halogen and LED.

None of the LED bulbs I've bought to date have given any problems, they've all been plug and play, straight swap, canbus and error free. Thumbs Up

Post #231740 28th Dec 2013 3:11pm
pld118

LED Tail & Fogs work but...

I fitted some today. LED tail & fog light bulbs will work and perform/ look so much better than the OE incandescent bulbs. Error free. However, I experienced problems actually fitting and removing the below LED rear tail/ fog bulbs because:

The supplied LED bulb bayonet pins are set at the quarter to 3 clock face position and the OE incandescent bulbs are set at 10 to 3 (the bulbs side by side as pictured below demonstrate this). After difficulty fitting them, I found that 2 of the bulbs had been supplied faulty. After ages spent trying to carefully remove them it was obvious that they would not come out without the application of some force. The result was that the 4 LED bulbs were all damaged when removing them and 2 effectively disintegrated.

4 x 1157 BAY15d P21/5W CANBUS SMD LED Stop/Tail bulbs RED

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1157-BAY15d-P21-...01[/quote]

Last edited by pld118 on 14th Jan 2014 1:10pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #233516 8th Jan 2014 1:47am
pld118

Single & Dual contact & compare bulb pin positions

The OE incandescent bulbs are single contact on the lower of these 2 bulbs (tail) & double contact on the upper of these 2 bulbs (tail/fog). The LED bulbs I was sent are all dual contact and the bayonet pins are set differently compared to the OE bulb pins.

The side by side pictures I took of the LED & OE bulbs actually show that the supplied LED bulbs are dual contact and that 2 of the 4 required OE bulbs are single contact. All of these particular LED dual contact bulbs have bayonet pins positioned at the quarter to 3 clock face position which is differet to the OE pin position of the L322 tail/ fog bulbs.

Last edited by pld118 on 14th Jan 2014 12:54pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #233518 8th Jan 2014 2:46am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The pins are really easy to grind/sand sown slightly... Therefore the bulb wont get stuck when you fit it Thumbs Up

I don't overly see the point in changing the lower bulbs to LED as they are behind the red covers and surely won't look any different, don't want to be any brighter and don't flash (so again no benefit there) Why waist your time? & money? I have never had cause to change one of these bulbs before! So prove they are reliable... Neutral

Post #233524 8th Jan 2014 9:06am
pld118

You have a PM Craig re video clip/ would be interested to know what you think of the direct comparison between incandescent OE and the aftermarket LED bulbs I refer to.

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #233526 8th Jan 2014 9:36am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

@Craig, both Ryan and myself have the supercharged rear lights so they are clear lenses.... Thumbs Up

Post #233531 8th Jan 2014 10:18am
E4 GUY

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

At £16 they look a bargain! IIRC the red oem ones were almost £30 when I replaced last year Alcohol and eBay is never a good mix

2006 4.2 Supercharged, Java Black

Post #233566 8th Jan 2014 2:13pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

So......you need to get 4 bulbs in total then ? for the 8 and 9 positions on the diagram, for each side.

Or have I missunderstood it ?

Ie it has 4 lamps lit for tail lights and the 2 at the 9 position go to 21w for the fogs........ 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #233619 8th Jan 2014 7:39pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Would these be the correct ones then - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-18LED-1156-58...483d03bb15 Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #233620 8th Jan 2014 7:48pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

to clarify,
the s/c rear lights have 2 bulbs for the tail/fog and because the light units are clear the bulbs must be clear but with a red output ...i suspect the normal 2006-2009 light units with the red lens have clear bulbs and with the same configuration as below,
the upper bulb has twin filaments ,one for fog and the other for tail...type BAW15d
the lower bulb is a single filament for the tail light...type BAW15s

i have looked and can only find led bulbs from one supplier in Italy for the BAW15d and none for the single filament BAW15s..these are clear with red output bulbs...

whether for the clear or red lense you need one BAW15d and one BAW15s for each side..

to help visualise what the bulb pins look like ,here is a pic,

it has been suggested that BAY15d/s bulbs could be used and one pin filed down to make it fit the holder..

Post #233627 8th Jan 2014 8:19pm
pld118

@ mjdronfield - Certainly 4 x bulbs required for the tail/ rear fogs on the SC (2 each side of the car). The ones I bought were twin/dual filament 21/5W x 4 and all worked perfectly in each holder both tail and fog, apart from the need to amend the bayonet pin settings.

There appear to be more white LED bulbs readily available for sale on the internet than the red ones.

@Stan - As discussed, it can get confusing with these rear tail and fog 21/5W bulbs:

There are white ones, red ones, single filament and twin/dual filament bulbs.

Then there are:
BAW15d... d for double contact bayonet pin? What does the W stand for?
BAW15s... s for single contact?
BAU15s... s for single contact? What does the U stand for?
BAY15d.. d for double contact? What does the Y stand for?

Thumbs Up

Post #233725 9th Jan 2014 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>