Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Been offered a holiday home at a great price
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Been offered a holiday home at a great price

On the site where we store the caravan, there are quite a few statics as I call them, although owners prefer " holiday homes".

Now and again, the odd one comes up for sale. We were down there at the weekend and we're offered an immaculate 2011 model. It's one owner, used around 10 times at most, all the accessories are still in sealed bags, and the microwave, oven etc never used. It's already sited in a great spot on the park overlooking a small lake.

My dilemma is whether to keep the tourer or sell to part fund the holiday home. We can afford to run both, and I think I'd miss going away in the tin tent. However, reading various forums, it appears you fall into either one camp or the other. I haven't come across anyone that has both. A mate at the site has both and he seems happy enough.

We visited a dealer yesterday to look at other statics and the sales chap said he couldn't see the point of owning both, but I disagreed.

My thoughts are to buy the static, keep the tourer for 12 months and see how much we'd use it. We can always sell later if it's not used.

Thoughts anyone?

Post #238373 31st Jan 2014 12:07am
MPK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Don't let others define or shape your life.

You can afford to do both which brings flexibility and choice. It would be rude not to.

On the other hand you may feel ostentatious keeping both but you could take the view your making up your mind……

A great dilemma to have. Wink

Post #238382 31st Jan 2014 12:31am
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

We have both...we use tin tent all the time and have "holiday home" though its made of bricks and it gets rented out....it can become another income Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #238385 31st Jan 2014 12:35am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

we have a tourer, -parked at home. I see statics for sale (especially older ones real cheap) and see the rent for a year and sort of sober up a little. I think the fuel costs of towing a tourer, sort of outweigh the lights- -off -doors -locked dead money rent on a static, as an advantage. the sites charge a massive rent to MAKE you let it out, and then take the percentage of the profits, as the bar/club has many more paying guests through rented out statics etc. (hope you get my drift) -and a sellers fee to sell it on....so aren't you paying out double, just for the joy of whizzing down to the static, for a little less fuel, but bigger legroom, and then the other touring costs/depreciation and all and sundry.....?

Post #238393 31st Jan 2014 1:52am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It's a private park, so we wouldn't be able to rent it out.

What's attracting me is the price. It's a steal for what it is, where it is and what it cost new. The fact that it was bought on a whim and therefore had very little (if any) use means it's as new inside and out.
I already know the park as we use the tourer on there on a seasonal pitch. The ground rent for the static isn't that much more, plus we get 11 months use compared to 8 months in the tourer, so in real terms it's the same price if we were to work it out on a monthly basis. The only cost is electricity which is included in the price on the tourer pitch. I'm told by others on the park that this isn't a lot though. Next door paid £40 for the whole year.

I like the idea of being down there, then hooking up the tourer and going further afield for a few days. We haven't really scratched the surface when it comes to touring.

Post #238404 31st Jan 2014 6:40am
Andy3681

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

Buy a house in France it's cheaper!!
weather better, should appreciate in value, and local tax and insurance less than a touring caravan.
If you wanted to keep the tourer buy something that needs a bit of work and pitch up in the garden as you work on it.
looked at a holiday home, when moving on from a tourer, thought rents expensive and every so many years if you dont re-new or upgrade they can move your pitch also you cant use it 12 months of the year. Mine was a blue one! Smile

Last edited by Andy3681 on 31st Jan 2014 10:30am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #238416 31st Jan 2014 8:58am
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

And no blocking roads towing mobile sheds, top gear gott the right idea burn em! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #238423 31st Jan 2014 9:13am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Just bear in mind they can take ages to resell. An asset is only an asset if you can realise it.

Post #238427 31st Jan 2014 9:18am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

go for it mate, you only live once.. Thumbs Up

Post #238439 31st Jan 2014 9:58am
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Just do what you like, it's your life.
A house in France was mentioned...don't forget that upon arrival you're tired, want to relax and you'll find the grass needs a machete, the house is moisty, the gipsies have emptied your shed with garden furniture, there has lived a whole family of animals that stink, under your roof over the winter and nobody speaks your language. So you need a gardner, a cleaning lady or someone that watches your house. These guardians will probably be Britts that failed to make a living in their homeland and now seeking victims like you down here in France. I've been living here now for ages and have so many britts seen coming and going, loose their money, and spirit, that I really do not think it is a good idea to buy something here in France if you are not able to speak the language, or can't pay for decent personnel. Buying a second home here means also that you got to keep it for at least 20 years or pay the value tax if you ever sell and make a profit on it.

Go with the flow, buy that house on wheels and keep the other one to tour around. Or even better buy a real house on the right spot with a pool, a view and a forrest, so you can stay home and enjoy your life.
I'm a top gear fan also and I hate campings and campingcars Laughing

Post #238443 31st Jan 2014 10:45am
Andy3681

^^^ lol Robert
Yes I agree to a point. you do have to want the lifestyle and you forgot the flies!
looked at a few of broken dreams when looking for mine and some brits are getting a bad rep for ripping off newbys but if it gives me the option of knocking work on the head early and being able to sit in the sun then it's all good. Thumbs Up

Sorry OP for changing the subject if the static is for you then go for it but I think you will find the tourer redundant if you want to make the most of the static, Also if you want a change or see somewhere new there is always a hotel or B&B Mine was a blue one! Smile

Post #238453 31st Jan 2014 11:11am
n1cktdv8

If your cash flow supports it then its a good option. The tourer will never make money, but most people dont expect to make money on a commodity purchase? The static 'may' increase but it's unlikely. An overseas investment is just that, I have a number of houses in france and tbh I speak very little french and can confirm that its true...good people and maintenance are key in that region.

In terms of the caravan, I'd miss not travelling to different parts, under our own steam.....

@scottyav...never had a Jewish racing beige coloured car pass me...with or without the caravan on the back Rolling with laughter Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #238456 31st Jan 2014 11:27am
RRTIM

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Causeway Grey

n1cktdv8 wrote:
We have both...we use tin tent all the time and have "holiday home" though its made of bricks and it gets rented out....it can become another income

same as us!

we have a holidayn house in Saundersfoot and we take the caravan to Spain every summer!

We use the holiday home for half terms etc, but in the summer we can get £800 a week for it, so I try to convince myself that we are making money by going to Spain!!

The way I look at it, the house is there when we do fancy a weekend down there, and it's an appreciating asset which is better than money in the bank currently. 2017 Range Rover SDV8 Vogue SE
2018 Audi RS6
2018 VW Amarok V6 255

Post #238480 31st Jan 2014 2:24pm
n1cktdv8

Agree with you Tim.....we have a small number of properties in France, one is local to Limoges Airport and so it's roughly 2 hours door to door and we like it for a short hop, but also enjoy the friends and life with the tintent so we'd choose that over a fixed holiday pad anyday ! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #238484 31st Jan 2014 2:35pm
Andy3681

Not far from me then! Mine was a blue one! Smile

Post #238487 31st Jan 2014 2:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>