Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > The new steed...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
kungfupanda

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Mariana Black
The new steed...

Well after approximately 8 months of FFRR ownership, I've decided to move on...

After coming from an Audi S6 with a 5.2 V10 engine, I missed the speed and occasion. I fancied trying out a 4x4 perhaps for the wrong reasons. I liked the look of the Range and expected a harsh winter to try out it's ability to deal with all climates but alas it wasn't to be. I live and work in Manchester City Centre and keep the car in various multi storeys when I'm in the city and the car was simply too big to maneouvre easily around. It's a shame really because someone is going to pick up a well sorted FFRR with new battery, alternator, bushes and a fresh MOT as well as the mods I did with the deployable sidesteps and illuminating sill covers.

Anyway, enough chat and onto some pictures taken by a good friend of mine yesterday when I picked the new car up. We had a nice day. I had a final run out in the Range to Manchester Airport to drop my mum off and the garage was based in deepest Cheshire so a nice pub lunch was had prior to collecting the new car...

As most of you can guess it's a 911. 996 C4S. Four wheels drive with the factory turbo body. Basalt black with black leather interior. 6 speed manual. The drive back was amazing. Great gearbox and it feels so flat and neutral in the corners. Need to get it fully machine polished and detailed but other than that, it doesn't really need anything more doing to it except be driven! The best news is the Porsche is cheaper to insure. I've got a £200 rebate from my current insurers and tax is only £280 for a year.

On a final note, I'd like to thank everyone on here for all the tips and advice throughout my FFRR ownership and also Stan for running such a great and friendly forum. I've tried to look after some of the members who have helped me directly by offering them some bits and pieces from my garage that are of no use to me, King Pleb being the biggest benefactor!

Post #245454 28th Feb 2014 1:18pm
DCGLOVE

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Ahh the cycle of life
You're moving out of RR and I'm just moving into one today. New car looks amazing and I hope you enjoy it, really do like 911s they really are sports cars you can use everyday, pretty envious of the lunch, must be getting time to refuel too.

All the best
Darren 2010 Ipanema Sand/ivory

Post #245457 28th Feb 2014 1:28pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

so Andy if the girlfriend asks , how much did you pay for this one.. Laughing ..............[i dont really want to know btw Wink ]

thanks for the compliment and enjoy the new one. Thumbs Up

Post #245458 28th Feb 2014 1:33pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

You will be back..... (sooner than you think Whistle )

Post #245459 28th Feb 2014 1:36pm
Chauch

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Great cars, I had a 996 Cab a fair few years back, although sadly the kids started to outgrow the back seats, so it sat there in the garage longing to be enjoyed... 4.2 Supercharged Vogue SE

Post #245461 28th Feb 2014 1:47pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

someone will indeed pick up a great ffrr in your old motor, enjoy the 911 You can paypal direct using - www.paypal.me/duckworthparts
Please supply your full name address when sending a paypal payment.
https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts
www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: robin.hall@duckworth.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Post #245462 28th Feb 2014 1:48pm
kungfupanda

The cost to change was less than a designer handbag...

General maintenance on this looks like it's going to be pretty reasonable. Major service at Porsche is £420. Premium rear 265/35/18" tyres can be had for £140 delivered although the garage stuck on a new set of N rated Bridgestones all round prior to collection.

Post #245463 28th Feb 2014 1:52pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Re: The new steed...

kungfupanda wrote:

The cost to change was less than a designer handbag...

Nice handbag. Laughing

kungfupanda wrote:

Nice car - is this the later 3.6 996?

Post #245475 28th Feb 2014 3:00pm
kungfupanda

Just a quick update on the Porker. Still loving it although I'm even more precious of it than I was of the FFRR!!

When I picked it up, it had a fresh service and MOT by the supplying dealer. Even so, I still went ahead and fitted new pads and discs all round. The cost of the Pagid parts stood me at a very reasonable £390 from ECP which isn't too bad given that they are the same 330mm discs as the Turbo. Fitting was easy as they are a fixed four pot caliper with no slider bolts. The hardest part was knocking out the pad retaining bolts from each caliper.

I also managed to source a second hand Dansk exhaust from a fellow Pistonheader. Got this fitted at a mate's local garage. It took three of us the best part of four hours due to seized bolts. A lot of swearing and an acetylene blowtorch followed...

Those that know me know that I also like to keep the exterior in tiptop condition and I called on the services of Vince at Pallas Auto Refinishing in Chadderton/Hyde. I know he's worked on some fellow forumers FFRRs here and I got the recommendation from King Pleb. Really happy with the results and the blog post can be seen here:

http://pallasautorefinishing.wordpress.com...arrera-4s/

Very pleased with his work and the prices are really reasonable.

Going forwards, I'm planning to fit new water and aircon rads as well as a replacement clutch and renew some of the suspension parts as well. The car isn't in bad shape and the work doesn't really need doing but ultimately it's over 10 year olds and I like to run my cars in tiptop conditon.

One observation I've made is that the guys on the Porsche forums are not as friendly or laid back as here on the FFRR forum. It maybe age, it maybe demographic but there is a lot of bitchiness on there and elitism especially between the turbo owners and also there is always the age old argument between air cooled and water cooled too. I'll still pop in here once in a while and you never know, I may even upgrade my lowly Mondeo daily driver to a cheap L322 and get back into FFRR ownership...

Post #255975 24th Apr 2014 9:57pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

996 C4S, beautiful car!

One day I'll have a 993 C4S Thumbs Up

Just hanker for something air cooled! Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #255985 24th Apr 2014 10:38pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

My "Air Cooled" 911 Targa from 1986.

I too may get another one day...

Post #256015 25th Apr 2014 7:38am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

alanm_3 wrote:
996 C4S, beautiful car!

One day I'll have a 993 C4S Thumbs Up

Just hanker for something air cooled!

I have a customer who is just about to put his very loved one up for sale... I was amazed how much they are worth now Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #256022 25th Apr 2014 8:57am
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I'm always really surprised with some folks leave a whopping great hunk of iron for a nimble sporty number. Is it because the RR appeals to ppl who don't need a towcar, offroader, big lump....

If I changed to Porsche like that I'd need to have something 'normal' for shopping and doing all the things the RR does as the norm..

Nice bus a 911 though... Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #256251 25th Apr 2014 10:56pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 
Re: The new steed...

kungfupanda wrote:
Well after approximately 8 months of ..................................

Well I never, the Bull's Head in Mobberley. Run by the same guys that run my favourite local the Cholmondeley Arms. I see you went for the delish scotch eggs; excellent choice! Nice Porker too.

Post #256255 26th Apr 2014 12:46am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Always happy to help other owners Andy and glad your loving the porka Smile and thanks for the parts again Smile I still haven't finished the beers!! lol

Told you Vince was worth a shout, his work always speaks for itself Very Happy and he knows where to get the best parts at the best prices Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #256291 26th Apr 2014 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>