Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 gone crazy!? ...water ingress playing havoc!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Boat.Buoy

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green
L322 gone crazy!? ...water ingress playing havoc!

So over the weekend I've had all manner of strange faults occur, with no rhyme or reason behind any of it!?
I've had random issues with the air suspension system, the ignition and memory functions, the alarm and central locking, onboard computer, all sorts!

After spending quite some time working out what could've possibly gone so terribly wrong, and all at once! I deduced that something (most probably water after all this rain) was playing tricks with my electrical system...so last night I left a dehumidifier in the boot...this morning almost everything worked perfectly!!!

Sooo...I know the common leak around the rear quarter causes water to get into the electronics compartment, but where does this water actually get in? I'd like to avert the cause rather than divert the ingress away with a water shedder.

Also, I noticed some water in the passenger footwell, is this a common place for water to collect? Any ideas where it may be coming from?

Matt

Post #243127 17th Feb 2014 1:00pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Water ingress in front footwell could be either windscreen seal or sunroof blocked drainage tubes.The rear near side compartment with the sat nav, amp etc getting wet that could be a rear real not fitting nicely? to a rusty seam in the bottom of the floor in that area.

Theres quit a bit on here about the rear leak.

I had something simular on my D1, it turned out not to be the drain tubes or sunroof seal but how the sunroof is bolted to the roof.....the seal between the tray and roof had perished. Shocked If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #243131 17th Feb 2014 1:34pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

I had similar issues with mine last year - sorted by a new windscreen.
The windscreen chaps said the previous (replacement) screen had been very poorly fitted.
I had water coming in on the driver side.
New screen = sorted . . .

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #243155 17th Feb 2014 2:45pm
Boat.Buoy

Thanks for the input Welsh Dragon, I guess I can blow the drains out with an airline?

I'll search the rear leak and see what comes up. The seals seem to look ok but I'll need to have a closer look later.

Matt

Post #243168 17th Feb 2014 3:15pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Rear leak will almost certainly be the boot seal... Top left hand corner will have the metal inner clamps expanded (run your hand around the top corner and it will have expanded) therefore no longer sealing to the lip... Approx £80-£90 from Dan or suchlike Thumbs Up

Post #243172 17th Feb 2014 3:21pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The front leak, wait for a dry day Laughing one day!!! Pour a small amount of water in around your sunroof then see if it runs out of the drains at the bottom of the A & B pillars Thumbs Up

Post #243175 17th Feb 2014 3:23pm
Boat.Buoy

Thanks for all the useful info chaps! I've had the dehumidifier running again today and it does seem better.

I'll have a look at the boot seal, thanks Craig....and yes, should a dry day appear I'll be able to check out the sunroof too!

Oh the list just keeps on getting longer Smile

Thanks again.
Matt

Post #243218 17th Feb 2014 6:22pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Keep us posted what you find. Very Happy If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #243226 17th Feb 2014 7:03pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Don't use an airline on the sunroof drains, it'll probably blow the pipe off the connector and then you'll really have an issue.

Take some nylon line from a grass strimmer and feed that down. It's supple enough to go round the corners but hard enough to force any blockage out.

Also check where the bolts for the rear bumper attach to the car - at the back, it's not unheard of for water to come in there also.

Get yourself a water shedder from land rover. About £7 if I remember right, and goes behind the nav and amps etc on the left hand side of the boot. Keeps them dry if water does come in. A good old land rover fix !

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #243228 17th Feb 2014 7:05pm
Weejock

Leak in passenger foot well and the location of Body Control Unit will explain most of your problems:

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/l322..._location/

Post #243263 18th Feb 2014 12:23am
Boat.Buoy

Thanks for all the suggestions, yes Weejock that would definitely explain a lot.

I've had a dehumidifier running in the boot all night again, it must've taken out 300ml of water or more. Still have some interesting irregularities; remote locking and memory functions rarely work, onboard computer is not operational (just shows as black text rather than white), I get intermittent EAS faults whilst driving which brings on the EAS inhibit light (if you open the drivers door it goes out!), I'm sure there is more!

I'll change the boot seal and investigate the other potential leak areas, and I may try sticking the dehumidifier in the front near the BCU tonight!

Matt

Post #243291 18th Feb 2014 9:30am
steptoe

England 
Re: L322 gone crazy!? ...water ingress playing havoc!

Boat.Buoy wrote:

I've had random issues with the air suspension system, the ignition and memory functions, the alarm and central locking, onboard computer, all sorts!

Those problems point to the BCU, as suggetsed by Weejock.

Remove the BCU and leave it in the airing cupboard overnight.

Post #243314 18th Feb 2014 11:24am
yodaboy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

I had a very similar problem with my L322 after having the windscreen replaced - water leaked in through a faulty seal & dripped on the steering wheel cowl & front of the dashboard. Loads of alarms - suspension, cruise not working, reversing lights, indicators not working. Dealer wanted to strip the dash out - ££££. I said I would give it a few days. Anyway, I pulled fuses out one at a time to see if I could clear the fault. When I got to the steering wheel heater fuse (fuse 9 on my car) - everything else worked again. I took the cowl off the steering wheel and a trace of water has got into the tiny connector at the very bottom of the block behind the steering wheel - a two pin plug that powers the steering wheel heater LED. With that pulled out & the fuse back everything worked (except the LED)! Dried with some canned air, plugged it back in and problem fixed! It was a tiny amount of water that had got in but must have pulled the volts down or shorted the input - that's computers for you! Thumbs Up

Faults:
Alarm: Suspension Inactive - when switch off the ignition.
Also related faults occurred at the same time:
· Turn indicators work but no flasher on instrument panel or sounder (unless the indicator is operated before the ignition switch is turned on)
· Controls on steering wheel for audio & cruise do not function
· Cannot engage off-road modes - nothing indicated on instrument panel
· Setting the time on the touch screen does not change the analogue clock
· TV not inhibited when driving
· Reversing lights not working

Post #243837 20th Feb 2014 3:50pm
Boat.Buoy

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, it gave me some great places to start.

I checked the sunroof drains, the front ones anyway. They certainly were blocked. I've managed to clear them out now and I get a good solid drip for both sides, in the same location. How much water flow should I expect to see here? I've only seen water appear underneath behind the A piller, Craig mentions it coming out the A&B pillers, should I be seeing two drips of water per side?

I've removed the cover for the BCU and all carpet and surrounding area are bone dry. I've also checked the carpet and sound deadening in the rear left quarter, and again all bone dry.

There was a small amount of water in the spare wheel well, I cannot yet see find where that is coming from. Following information in previous posts I'm going to replace the boot seal anyway - it looks ok but there are some areas where the metal grip is lifting.

Given the symptoms are so random with my vehicle and after reading Yodaboy's post and others, I put a clamp-on ammeter around the battery cables and started pulling fuses. The only item I could find consuming power (other than the fuse 27/glove box circuit/interior fan common drain) was the onboard computer, which has been working on and off since this recent issue started. With the fuse pulled the issues still remain. I tried disconnecting the satnav unit in the back but that didn't seem to make any difference either.

Whilst looking at this issue I've also been fitting a flat battery protection system today, which has meant disconnecting and reconnecting the battery a few times. Each time I reconnect the battery my remote central locking works again, until I turn the ignition full on or start the vehicle. If I reconnect the battery I can lock/unlock by remote, if I jump in and turn the ignition to the first position the screen comes on and I can use the radio/onboard computer etc, the ignition off and remote central locking still works. If I repeat the above but turn the ignition to the second position, or start the vehicle, when I remove the key from the ignition the central locking fails to operate. I get the feeling something that is ignition (position two) activated has a short circuit which is crashing the network.

I have other strange symptoms which are very similar to other members, instrument cluster not displaying lights to show fog lights/main beam etc are on, EAS inactive, memory functions inactive, onboard computer and radio intermitten.

Any ideas chaps? I've got most of the dash apart at the moment so checking things behind would be easier than normal.

I'm going to finish my flat battery protection install tomorrow so I'll take some pics and do a write up encase anyone else is interested.

Matt

Post #244313 22nd Feb 2014 9:17pm
Boat.Buoy

Oh and to top it off...the drivers door handle to mechanism cable snapped today!?

Post #244322 22nd Feb 2014 9:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>