Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 10 month old battery failure or something else?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
10 month old battery failure or something else?

Has anyone please got any ideas before the car re-visits the main dealer for an overnight stay to try and source what might be going on here?

When the car has been parked for a few hours or overnight – not every time but more frequently now – it can sound a little anaemic on start up. The symptoms are these:One turn of the ignition key and it can sound near flat, slow to fire with sometimes a cough/ wheeze/pause, maybe even hesitant and then it catches and fires up, ticking over normally. The LR main dealer supplied the battery less than 12 months ago and the other week said there was some battery drain, they’d placed it on trickle charge overnight and thought the issue had resolved.

I’m thinking battery, alternator, starter motor or fuel supply but the last 3 are just guesswork.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Post #249803 22nd Mar 2014 1:37pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Instruct them to change the battery under warranty and then see how it behaves over the proceeding week Thumbs Up Even if it does not resolve the issue, a new battery has to be better than an 11month old one Whistle

Post #249806 22nd Mar 2014 1:41pm
pld118

Laughing I'm sure they will love that request. To be fair it's the logical next step and I'm sure they can claim it back as the unit is still warrantied anyway.

Thanks.

Post #249807 22nd Mar 2014 1:44pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Exactly... Thumbs Up

Post #249809 22nd Mar 2014 1:46pm
pld118

What's going on!

Shocked

Car been sitting in garage since y'day morning. Brought it out tonight to clean it. Started it (fired up nice and crisp/ no issues), reversed it back onto driveway, parked it, switched *everything* off, got out and shut the doors but didn't lock it with remote fob. No power obviously being used on anything. Spent 90 minutes cleaning the wheels (filthy) then jumped in the car to reverse it back a little and when I turned the ignition key it sounded awful.

To start with, on turning the ignition key, it sounded totally flat/ drained to the point it wouldn't fire but then after what seemed like a second or so, it coughed/ spewed to a start, then idled rough and these 3 warning messages flashed:

*Park Brake Fault (this warning was actually on when I collected the car from the MD the other week after they'd stripped and cleaned the EPB to make it pass the MOT although even then that fault cleared when I switched off and re-started)

*Park Brake Auto Release Unavailable

*Engine System Fault

So when this happened tonight, I switched the engine off, turned the ignition key again and it fired up fine before all of the above faults cleared!

2 questions please:

1. Does this all seem consistent with a goosed battery?

2. Although I'd shut the driver's door and switched everything off after bringing the car out of the garage prior to this occurrence, I didn't press the fob and actually lock the car for the 90 minutes I was cleaning it. Could these issues/ the "battery drain" be more likely to happen if you don't 'lock the car down'?

Thanks.

Post #250129 23rd Mar 2014 9:36pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Thumbs Up Battery 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #250133 23rd Mar 2014 9:50pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

If it's not locked it wi wait even longer before going to sleep.

I'd never move again a few metres and just park it up without giving it 5mins to get some charge back in the battery.

The only car I ever don't do that too is my old xantia and that's only cos the battery is over specced so can take a lot of abuse easily and being a basic car it doesn't have any fancy ecu's to drain it and it charges it up pretty quick anyway Smile

When I do the ff I get all my cleaning clobber ready and then start her up and move into position and set at access hieght. Put the radio on and then wash the roof and everything else to window seal level. Then open the door and set her to max and get out and get on with the rest of it with the engine running. Makes cleaning the arches and underside easy peasy.

Then when all rinsed off a quick spin up the road and back and top up the washer fluid and engine off and done for the day. Gets the engine thoroughly warmed thru as I take a while to wash a car Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #250150 23rd Mar 2014 11:46pm
pld118

I think I get your point KP but this is a repeat issue with the car even when it has been on a good run, then gets parked in the garage, locked up and left overnight. The issue being the drained sounding anaemic start up. I'll take the advice of CTC and suggest that another new battery seems reasonable Thumbs Up

Post #250155 23rd Mar 2014 11:52pm
kingpleb

Agreed I'd still take Craig's action but they still need to get to the bottom of the drain Smile

Is your diagnostic socket cover on right as that's something a dealer could forget to put back? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #250159 24th Mar 2014 12:33am
pld118

Have I worked out the cause?

Following on from my post when I queried whether or not, despite no systems being switched on (e.g even auto light switch set to the off position, no radio on etc) could simply not locking the car lead to a battery drain from systems taking longer to shut down and going to sleep:

In a traffic jam on the motorway yesterday, my mobile phone battery went flat. So, I lifted the central/armrest area cubby hole lid and connected my phone to the Blackberry style adaptor that I've had permanently plugged into the Aux socket in that cubby hole. Then it dawned on me. Could the fact I've left that phone adaptor plugged into that Aux socket - even without a phone connected to the adaptor - be causing battery drain?

Post #250639 26th Mar 2014 6:14am
kingpleb

If it's permanently live then it's possible but it would have to be a really poor one to drain that much power.

Does it have a bright light on it showing that it has power to it? If not then the amount of current draw would be very very low and a lot less than the alarm system. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #250640 26th Mar 2014 6:35am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the only live socket on yours Ryan is the rear one in the load area...did you check the obd port to see if its closed properly? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #250667 26th Mar 2014 8:59am
pld118

@KP - Phone adaptor light only comes on intermittently when engine running. Point to note though, it's a rubbish universal adaptor that I bought in Tesco and it doesn't work properly to charge the phone, coming on and off when it takes the notion (you've often got to hold on to the phone and the connector to keep them mated so as to get any charge!). So maybe there' an answer to the problem in this reply?

@Stan - Is the OBC port you all refer to, situated on the underside of the dash above the accel' pedal (if so, I've just checked it and it's firmly secure)?

Back to the phone adaptor that has been plugged in for weeks (forgotten about in the cubby hole)... having unplugged it yesterday and then having done some decent motorway runs during the day, I purposely left the car out on the driveway in the cold overnight and it's just fired up crisp and clean, first time...

Thanks

Post #250684 26th Mar 2014 9:22am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thats the one Ryan. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #250688 26th Mar 2014 9:25am
kingpleb

To be honest I avoid the cheap chargers as they are lethal in the long run. Get a proper USB cable for your phone and a belkin USB car charger and jobs a good en Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #250700 26th Mar 2014 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>