Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Smell of fumes from 4.4 SDV8 when driving slowly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

thanks for the comments and solidarity. I have today been told by my dealer that there is a new (2/12/14) memo or whatever LR call them on the problem, and the dealer knows very little about it other than it requires the use of a special lead to plug into some electronic control box. Apparently there are very few of these special leads and they are making their way around the UK so that dealers can address the problem. Whilst the dealer will not tell me that this is a major problem for them, I read in between the lines, that it is . Will report back when my car has been done, meanwhile I am still enjoying a sore throat from driving my beautiful L405 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

1972 Suffix A fully restored 2 door

1970, chassis number 26 the first of the press launch cars, Masai Red

2013 4.4SDV8 Autobiograpahy

Post #296835 3rd Dec 2014 7:26pm
CharlesA22

Scotland 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Baltic Blue
FBH fumes update

Sorry to report that the problem with my car has not been resolved by what JLR are now calling Service Action Q423. The actions required were carried out on my car between 03/02/2015 and 05/05/2015 when the vehicle was at the dealers for Warrranty Visit No. 13. The full details of the action were not provided to me in a definitive report and so I only have the verbal explanation that some software modifications were involved along with the replacement of some bulkhead seals and some improved securing of the FBH exhaust branch. On 17/03/2015 I reported to the dealer that the modifications had failed to correct the problem and that I had continued to experience a number of "fume" incidents involving contamination of the passenger cabin air. I analysed the incidence statistics for the dealer thus:- "Statistically this (outcome) is an incidence rate of 4.14% of journeys compared to an incidence rate prior to Warranty visit No 13, in the period Oct 2014 –Jan 2015, of 6.08% (22 incidents in 362 journeys). So, being as positive as one can, there has been a slight improvement.
However, the statistics demonstrate that the original defect of design / manufacturing persists."
Subsequently, through this group I received the news of the new SA Q423. I approached the dealer hopefully, but he has today confirmed that this was, in fact, the process that they had "trialled" on my car in February. UNSUCCESSFULLY!! FFRR user since 1974. RR No. 10 (2021MY P525 delivered Nov 2020)

Post #327304 12th May 2015 2:02am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Nice. You got to be the guinea pig and they didn't even tell you. Shocked

Post #327306 12th May 2015 2:10am
Shakman

United Kingdom 

Cant access this ... for the 4.4SDV8 ...

LTB00556v5 - Petrol Odour From The Fuel Fired Booster Heater (FFBH)

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/c...?id=609156

Post #367550 17th Jan 2016 1:20pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Post #367617 17th Jan 2016 7:15pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

I have exactly the same problem and after 8 visits to the dealership have given up trying to get a resolution. Its the FBH and only happened when the temperature outside is below 13 degrees. Also I get a vibration from the FBH resonating right through the front of the car. Not good enough and certainly not for a £100,000 car. What were the test drivers thinking of? I mean you would have to have a clothes peg on your nose not to notice this problem I am just hoping that when I buy my next car they will have resolved it. I imagine that it does not occur on a petrol car as much as they run warmer and don't require the FBH to reduce emissions. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #367794 18th Jan 2016 4:37pm
Paul J.

England 

Just think of it as smelling like an oil-burning AGA range. Can't get classier than that. Wink Whistle Laughing

Post #367836 18th Jan 2016 7:56pm
AbzRR

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Aruba
Fumes make brand new SDV8 undriveable

Took delivery on 14th Jan 2016.

Fume problem in cabin immediate and car went the day after.

Have note meteorite a complete report but this problem is so bad that at any time we stop at lights or in the drive we are almost overcome from the 'emissions'; whatever they are.

If it is the auxiliary heater and the exhaust is coming into the cabin this is a design fault and a health & safety issue.

We cannot drive this car without feeling terrible and it's going back on Monday and they can keep it until it's fixed. May be a long wait.

Has anyone considered rejecting their vehicle?

It will be three weeks this Wednesday that it was delivered. It has been with the dealer for all but 4 days of that and they have not heard of the problem before!! They replaced the complete car exhaust, did a software upgrade for some reason and various other things. Made no difference in fact it's worse since the exhaust replacement.

I have another RR, a 2009 Vogue TDV8 Westminster with 60k miles. A really great machine which has been largely faultless.

If anyone wants to send private messages / advice I'd be grateful although having only joined ten minutes ago I don't know how to do this.

Post #369598 30th Jan 2016 7:56pm
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

yes they have heard of the problem before. Its a major headache for Land Rover and it is challenging the minds of the senior directors. Its a big problem. I have a sore throat everytime I drive my car any distance in cold weather (below 13c) . I love the car but this is a break for me. I have yet again escalated this to the dealer and am awaiting the latest response. I think its time for an outside body to become involved as it really is dangerous to have fumes emitting into the car. If you disconnect the FBH then the car fails to warm up and will not meet its emissions requirements. I also note the FBH causes a humming and very noticeable vibration through he controls when its operating which in this weather is most of the time. I have thought of knocking the car back but as yet I have not pushed that button. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #369602 30th Jan 2016 8:07pm
AbzRR

Thanks for the reply and I'd be very keen to remain in contact with you and others in the same boat.

Although this information may be in the threads could I ask how old your car is and have you mentioned anything about giving it back to them as yet. I think I'll get legal advice on Monday.

I have a couple of lawyers but maybe citizens advice may be a good starting point.

Post #369633 31st Jan 2016 12:23am
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

my car is 2014 car and no I have not mentioned giving it back to them as yet. They were saved by the spring temperatures last year and probably will be again! 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #369661 31st Jan 2016 8:57am
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The problem was resolved for all vehicles up until 16MY. The latest vehicles apparently have a modified design and software differences which cause the issues!

Post #369669 31st Jan 2016 9:57am
vanquishspirit

United Kingdom 

the software reboot was simply an instruction to arrange to the recirculation air vents to close when then FBH was on. In addition to that they made sure the the vents were actually adjusted to close fully. Then they checked that the exhaust from the FBH was actually sealed and that any holes in the body shell were closed off. All of this has been done on my car, but does not stop obnoxious fumes entering the cabin. They may have solved it on new cars, although it does not sound like it, but they have not solved it on my car and its been in at least 8 times. 2006 S/C owned from new. Black, sand with black inserts. Shes a thirsty girl. ( now gone)

Post #369674 31st Jan 2016 10:23am
AbzRR

Thanks to both of you.

Autobiography: Do you mean that the MY16 cars have been modified again, over and above the mods done up to MY16, and this causes the issues I am seeing on a brand new MY16 SDV8?

If so do we know what the MY16 modified design and software differences are?

Hope you don't mind me coming back on this so much but we can't use the car and I'm taking it back tomorrow and dealer doesn't fully get this situation.

Post #369679 31st Jan 2016 10:40am
AbzRR

CharlesA22.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Please see my posts from the last couple of days.

Post #369683 31st Jan 2016 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>