Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > cheap stainless sidesteps off ebay, my review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hammiegt

United Kingdom 
cheap stainless sidesteps off ebay, my review

Hi all, last mod for the rr, I got a set of stainless tube type sidesteps off ebay £159, when I got the car it came with the standard factory black ones, which I wasn't keen on, so I removed and sold them a few months back, for £120,i was managing fine without, but after our recent hols, a few complaints had been made re getting in and out of the vehicle, even at access height, so I got a set of these cheapies off ebay, had read his feedback which was pretty good prior to purchase.
fitted yesterday, only 12 bolts, you have to prise off the rubber jacking blocks, and insert a metal plate with a captive nut into the hole, its a bit fiddley, as as you try and thread the bolt which hold the bracket on, it will either knock it out of true or tip over as you try and thread it, you cant see what you are doing as the bracket obstructs you view, 3 went ok, had trouble with the 4th, thought I had crossed threaded the bolt, firstly I couldn't do it, so I just tried to thread the bolt without the bracket so I could see what I was doing, it got so far and it all started spinning around, had to jam a bar up into the hole to stop the bar spinning, and managed to undo bolt, removed it and found that the captive nut had not been welded on straight, had a tap and die kit so managed to tap the bar which was obstructing the bolt and re tapped the thread on the bolt which had got flattened. worse case I could have phoned for a replacement, once the brackets are in place, 4 bolts to hold the bars on , adjust as needed and tighten everything up, other problem is they foul slightly if you have front flaps fitted, so you have to force it against them a bit, would be ok if you didn't have them.
They do the job, fit my theme with a few shiny bits, I painted the bolts black once fitted as they stood out in silver against the black brackets, they are easily removed if I sell, they are light, so I don't think the thickness of the tube is great, and may dent, mine had a few little scratches in them, but not really noticeable, and the caps on the end of the tubes are chrome plastic, overall in real money terms they have cost me 30 quid, they work, don't flex or move, but as with everything, you get what you pay for, a bit fiddley to fit, and acceptable but not outstanding quality

[img]

2003 ffrr v8 vogue

Post #255793 23rd Apr 2014 9:04pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I have the regular genuine black rubber topped ones. I regularly stand on all parts of them to wash the roof etc. and I'm 17-18st. I see these steel ones, and they would be slippery for me, and grit would no doubt mark them, so they would to me, be not 'useful'

Post #255829 24th Apr 2014 12:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1