Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Battery issue - MY11 - dealer can't figure out what it is
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shalz

Kenya 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Battery issue - MY11 - dealer can't figure out what it is

Hi all,

Need some expert advice from the collective. In short my problem is as follows - I returned after a 2 week trip to find my car completely dead - couldn't unlock and no response when using key fob. opened it up using key blade and passenger door and on opening door, alarm did not come on so truly dead battery.

Called LRA, AA came first and battery apparently had a deep discharge and despite charging it for 45 minutes, but car still did not start. Whilst being charged and plugged to the AA van, the electronics inside worked and on attempting to start the car all you heard was a "click". Once the AA unplugged his van, all electronics died again and had to manually lock the car using key blade. LRA technician came the next day and charged battery. Tried to start a few times but just got clicks. After about another 45 mins and clicking, engine finally turned over. LRA technician diagnosed as something discharging the battery and separately starter jammed. Also noted that battery may have leaked a little

Left the car at LR dealer and got a call today saying they cannot find anything draining the battery or figure out what caused it to die in the first place. They've charged it and everything is working - no issues with starter, battery or alternator.

I've searched the forum and seen the various issues with alternator and battery discharging but none of them seem to apply to my case which is strange. Before I pick up my car again on Friday, is there anything else I can ask the dealer to check?

Thanks all for any advice.
Shalz MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #259391 14th May 2014 4:32pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Has the car got Tracker fitted? ... I had very similar issues to yours and they tried the route of disconnecting the Tracker on one visit to the dealership as they said these can be a hidden battery drain source... In my case it didn't do the trick but a consideration if you have Tracker.

However, if it was me, I'd be telling them they've had enough time & opp to source the drain problem and the battery should be replaced as an obvious starting point and without further messing around.

Our battery was 10 months old and after 3 visits and a lot of expense/ inconvenience they finally agreed to replace the battery under warranty which they say has cured the problem... I wouldn't know as it's still with them and into the 7th week since dropping it off with them for "battery drain" due to an indirect issue that arose.

Thumbs Up

Post #259403 14th May 2014 6:51pm
Joe90

England 

Is there a battery software update for your car? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #259419 14th May 2014 8:51pm
shalz

Thanks both. No tracker, and because its the first time this has happened doubt they will replace the battery under warranty. In any case battery itself is not covered by LR extended warranty.

I'll call them tomorrow to check about updates to the software.

Any other suggestions or useful advice also still welcome. MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #259449 14th May 2014 10:53pm
mmiata

Hungary 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Hi, I had the very same problem with my 12 tdv8. After a few months of use I left the vehicle in a marina for 7 days and when returning, same complete drain was observed what you described. Jump started and took to LR dealer. They identified a completely drained and short circuited battery. After a short argument they agreed the replace the battery with original LR AGM battery made by Exige. Since then - for the last 11 months - issue has not repeated. Have left the vehicle for a week since and started without hesitation. Although I got a good charger and recharge, condition the battery regularly.
As per policy LR provides 12mths warranty for batteries. Try to ask dealer for a complimentary battery change, as it might resolve your issue. 4.4 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue MY12
from Hungary

Post #259468 15th May 2014 4:09am
shalz

quick update as I got the car back today...

dealer couldn't find any faults and after a full recharge of the battery, everything seems to be working fine so they are saying it just seemed a one-off and nothing is draining the battery. will have to wait and see - was not able to get them to replace the battery under warranty / goodwill

at the same time, found that two of the rubber sponge like blocks at either end of the bonnet where it meets the A pillars had perished and come off from the (what can only be) blu-tac sticking them down - £20 for fancy cut sponge!!! MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #259656 16th May 2014 9:42am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Also had the adhesive fail on that foam piece that closes off the underwing/door jamb hole. Twice. Seems to be absorbent so was soaking wet.

Post #259658 16th May 2014 9:52am
shalz

^ totally agree - I could have washed the car with that much water... can't say I should be surprised though... MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #259661 16th May 2014 9:54am
jez000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

Shaltz do you have the AGM battery fitted to you vehicle ? early 2011's including mine were recalled for a battery swap and a software update. 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB
Gone 2011 Bournville TDV8 VSE
Gone 2008 Black Canadian HSE LUX

Post #259664 16th May 2014 10:09am
shalz

The dealer said it does and I have an invoice from March 2011 saying the battery was replaced with AGM (car was with previous owner at the time)..

I asked about all replacement actions and updates and dealer said all done.. MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #259665 16th May 2014 10:10am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Was it left at an airport??

Quite a few modern cars suffer from all the electrical hokey pokey that floats around at airports (that's as technical as I get) apparently it keeps waking the car up, similar to getting close to it with the keys, this flattens the battery after only a few days, I know jaguar had problems with it some time ago..... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #259688 16th May 2014 12:31pm
shalz

interesting - I never knew that about airports...

unfortunately no, car was parked at home far from the nearest airport...

think i'll put this down to just a random occurrence (fingers crossed) and hope it doesn't happen again... MY11 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - "African Queen"

Post #259720 16th May 2014 2:37pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Know you're out of warranty on the battery Shalz but thought I'd add this:

At the dealership yesterday to collect the RR after it had a lengthy stay there due to something going awry whilst it was in for a third visit to diagnose battery drain. I politely asked why they hadn't simply replaced the warrantied battery in the first place and as I had requested, because in our case having done so would have avoided a costly mistake.

The reply was that generally, the battery can only be replaced under warranty if the diagnostic plug in, shows a fault. That's what the man said to me anyway!

Thumbs Up

Post #259857 17th May 2014 6:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1