Home > Technical (L322) > Chipped Windscreen - fix or replace
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Alex 111s

Scotland 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver
Chipped Windscreen - fix or replace

Hi Guys,

I've got a small chip on my windscreen. Normally, I wouldn't think twice and just get it repaired but as FFRR's have heated front screens, is there any issues with getting a resin injected repair done??

Thanks

Alex

Post #22728 19th Jul 2010 2:11pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Unless it's a big crack in the screen or an MOT failure I always get them repaired, a new screen never fits the car as well as the original one from build so if you can keep it, do so IMHO. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #22729 19th Jul 2010 2:13pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

No issue I'm aware of. I've had several fleet vehicle done and it's never caused a problem. No melted resin or anything funky.
Even if a wire got broken by the damage (unlikely) then only that wire would stop working and heat bleed from other others would still clear the screen.

Post #22730 19th Jul 2010 2:20pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Get the screen replaced, you can see the resin, my previous screen had been repaired 3 times and you could see the resin in the screen, it was really bad under certain light. Also those area's never defrosted throughly.

If they have not bonded the screen propperly you will getwind noise, so just ring them up and get them back to do a propper job. Some ins co's you can insist that the dealer does it. 

Post #22750 19th Jul 2010 3:51pm
DeltaC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Alex,
I've got miserable first hand experience of two of main windscreen replacement places in Aberdeen and although (like Dan), I'd say replace it, I'd also say - Stay with the car and watch them do it. (Couple of hours though).

Reason being that the screen is bonded on but the surrounding trim is meant to clip on - I suppose this is to allow for thermal movement etc. However, the clips can be a bit fidgity and the fitters can have a tendency to just use the bonding agent they've just stuck the screen on with. Mad

I'd also make sure that the auto wipers / dimming rear mirror etc work before you drive out.

Post #22752 19th Jul 2010 4:12pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

I had a screen replaced in my old Disco2. They came back five times due to wind noise. By the time they had finished I'd wished I'd never asked them. Thick layer of gunge poking out from behind the trim panels trying to chase that elusive pin hole that was litting the air whistle in.

Now I repair first. If you get a good job done the repair is about as noticable as the wires in the screen. In other words you can see it if you look very closely, but as a screen is for looking through your point of focus means you can't see it.

Post #22757 19th Jul 2010 5:46pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I had a screen replaced and they cut through every wire behind the rear view mirror! Disaster that took ages to fix correctly.

Repair first every time!

Post #22759 19th Jul 2010 5:51pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

One point worth noting though. You can insist on a genuine screen if it has to be replaced. Just tell them when you book it. That's what I did on my D3 and I got a screen with all the LR logos etc.. I also gave the bloke an extra 20 quid to take his time and make a really nice job of it. Oh and a coffee with biscuits. Bribery and corruption? yes. Worth it? Definitely.

Post #22769 19th Jul 2010 10:36pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It always pays to grease the wheels.... Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #22795 20th Jul 2010 11:45am
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I had my screen repaired by Autoglass with their resin system and it worked fine. It was quite a noticeable chip but when they finished, all I could see was a small pencil tip looking mark on the windscreen. I currently have another chip on the upper part of the windscreen that is not visible from inside and they reckon that isn't repairable . They said they can use either LR screens or ones from Pilkingtons. I'm tempted by the Pilkingtons one myself as the windscreen is the only thing about the car I am disappointed with as it seems to scratch easily and when we had all the snow at the start of the year, the grit that hit the windscreen put mild scratches where the wiper blades hit it. Never had this issue on any other car I have owned and could only assume the glass was weaker as it had the heater element in it , but I don't know why it would be. I decided that the Pilkingtons version couldn't be any worse.
When I used LR insurance, they told me that some of the larger Main Dealers were starting to do the windscreens themselves (I think they actually meant that the glass fitters are sent to the LR dealer and do the screen there so that the LR mechanics could refit the trim / mirror etc and so be sure of a good job) but when I mentioned it to my dealer at the time (Stratstones) , they weren't aware of this new procedure so maybe it was still in the pipeline. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #23424 28th Jul 2010 12:15am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
Rainex Windscreen Repair Kit

Resurrecting an old thread.

Just used the Rainex Windscreen Repair Kit to fix a chip on a windscreen (not the Range Rover). The screen definitely did not merit replacement, but a decent sized chip that ideally needed sealing to reduce the chance of future cracking. Results are excellent/ pleasing and the kit was very easy to use.

It was £10 excess to have the windscreen repaired on the insurance or £10 to buy the kit from Halfords so thought I’d have a go myself. The finish is maybe even better than had one of the glass companies been used because I’d time to take my time to get the best finish.

The full kit can be used again if needed in the future. Good product and VFM. Recommended 👍🏻

Click image to enlarge

Post #553329 10th May 2020 2:20pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Hi Ryan, hope you are well.

Can you still see the repair once done? Pic? There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #553330 10th May 2020 2:57pm
MR GLOVER

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

i have used this kit on mine does a good job only prob is the screen has about half elements working

Post #553355 10th May 2020 5:43pm
Garnerj

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I'd be really interested to see the results of the DIY repair?

Post #553363 10th May 2020 6:29pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Not too bad here Mark, hopefully you also 👍🏻

Didn’t take a specific before picture of the chip. Below is an after picture.

The chip didn’t necessitate a new windscreen. Repair was for peace of mind that it won’t get bigger/ cause cracks. Chip was instantly noticeable, a bit like a very small bullseye. You could feel it on the screen too.

It just looks like a little blemish now.

Would normally have got a windscreen company but had time to have a go and wanted to see if the product works. It’s not in line of driver’s sight and isn’t now noticeable, unless looking for it. You can run your finger over the repair and can’t feel where the chip was because it’s smooth now.

Would use the kit again and would use it on the RR if needed.

Tip - if going to use it, watch one of the YouTube videos before. And unless you have a UV light, choose a day that has a couple hours sunlight left after you’ve applied the resin. Instructions say leave in sunlight for less than 10 minutes. My preference was to let it cure in natural sunlight for a couple of hours and it seemed to work well.

After repair (blemish is about 3” to left of windscreen stamp on bottom image):

Post #553582 12th May 2020 3:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>