Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > New cost effective 20" tyre
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I've no issue with part worn tyres - just crap ones and mixing them - personal experience - but hey, some people can't be convinced - nothing bad will ever happen......

Post #264522 10th Jun 2014 8:44pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Soft tyre walls are ok if you really want comfort and don't mind risking having to turn sharply in an emergency Very Happy

Don't forget even the lowest powered ff has 170ish bhp but weighs at least 2.6tonne and the front end alone is more than half of that... 1.7 tonnes I reckon up front, so 800kg on each wheel and then cornering loads and braking loads.... Nah soft walls not for me I'm afraid lol FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #264528 10th Jun 2014 9:22pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Prop wrote:
I wouldn't have an issue buying used tyres, in some ways there safer than buying a car with used tyres as you can more easily see if they have had previous repairs/punctures by looking at the inside of the tyre which can be harder to see on tyres fitted to wheels.

On the otherhand I have personally ditched part worn tyres with 6mm tread because they were starting to show signs of age, or had been run flat - none of which were obvious. These ended up on the s/h market - they were ditched for a reason, no way would I entertain s/h tyres unless they were on a slow moving tractor...

By the time you factor in fitting and balancing and the part worn status of the tyre there is very little cost saving between that and new. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Vogue on 10th Jun 2014 9:27pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #264530 10th Jun 2014 9:24pm
Perce

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

[b]Tyres will always be a subjective thing, but IMHO why have a very expensive (both to buy and run) high performance vehicle, and then want to skimp
and save on the few square inches of rubber in contact with the road which are quite literally your lifeline? Question[/quote]

Couldn't agree more [/u] :thumb sup

Post #264531 10th Jun 2014 9:26pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

kingpleb wrote:
Soft tyre walls are ok if you really want comfort and don't mind risking having to turn sharply in an emergency Very Happy

Will, why are you giving tyre safety advice when you're running winters on the front and summers on the back?

It's like Kerry Katona giving financial advice.

Post #264585 11th Jun 2014 6:33am
kingpleb

Cos the tyre combo I have would only be unsafe on snow, not on normal road conditions Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #264591 11th Jun 2014 7:08am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

kingpleb wrote:
Yip,

Winter up front normals at the back as they are going to get replaced more than likely before the summer is out due to age more than anything so will be replaced with winters anyway.

So Winters on the front and summers on the back is OK in the fast lane of a motorway in the summer when there is a sudden downpour and emergency braking on a slippery surface required? (Just checking Wink )

Post #264592 11th Jun 2014 7:31am
kingpleb

So far yes Smile only brake tested from 70 once or twice as that's not my normal cruising speed. But she pulls up nice and evenly, not surprising when the front does the most braking. In a corner it just under steers when braking in high aquaplaning circumstances but on an ff the traction control would sort this out for people anyway.

My citroen has a higher than average rear brake balance anyway which I quite like and feel very stable with. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #264594 11th Jun 2014 7:56am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Using part worn tyres is as bad as using part worn brake pads. They have been removed for a reason and there's never any evidence to prove they didn't come from a crash damaged car. Whereas continuing to use a set of part worns on a S/H car is less of a risk although I tend to fit new ones as soon as I can.

I recall ditching 4 tyres off the caravan, all with 6mm of tread as they were all 8 years old with signs of cracking sidewalls but that wouldn't have stopped them ending up on the S/h market if I hadn't put a 10mm drill through the sidewalls before I took the wheels to have new tyres fitted.

Buying a set of delivery mileage wheels & tyres from the likes of Dan / Overfinch etc is one thing but buying unknown stuff off auctions sites is quite another There's always someone who thinks it's OK to sell potentially dangerous tyres, and there's equally always someone willing to use them if it saves a few bob. The thing is that you have no way of knowing a used tyre's history. That car of mine carries an extremely precious cargo - MY FAMILY. Am I going to save a few quid on S/H tyres? Maybe when Hell freezes over!

Genuinely I'm flabbergasted that people on this forum would contemplate such actions, truly I'm shocked. I might have expected it in a BarryBoys type of forum, but I thought common sense prevailed round here. Rolling Eyes

Post #264595 11th Jun 2014 8:02am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

This tyre argument feels like the sort of snobbery we all hate - or do we?

Premium fuels, premium tyres, facelifts, - because we're worth it Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Don't get me wrong - I'm guilty as charged Very Happy Geoff

Post #264596 11th Jun 2014 8:05am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

No Geoff, I've said I don't like Nexens which hare a mid-range tyre. But I would take a new set of Nexens over a set of part worn Pirellis any day. Safety, not snobbery. I can drive to accommodate a lesser handling tyre but there's no compensating for the unknown or unpredictable.

And yes, I do like premium tyres too, but I don't think I'm a snob. I'm definitely not a main dealer B*tch that's for sure. Aftermarket parts are just fine as long as they're made well, and I'd take a new set of Pagid brakes over a S/H set of Brembos any day. It's the whole secondhand thing I have issues with when it comes to safety related parts.

Besides, would you wear my secondhand underpants? Only worn once !! Rolling with laughter

Post #264597 11th Jun 2014 8:15am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

The only thing I've bought secondhand is a grill and bumper for a front end conversion and am currently regretting it, but if and when it gets done its for me not the neighbours as I like the look - just in case others pipe up.

BTW:
Comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular just an observation, I to have never, and would not, buy secondhand tyres as I always think they come from crashed vehicles and therefore have been stressed, they nearly all have puncture repairs - I'm probably being paranoid.

PS:
I wouldn't wear your used underwear for the opposite reason --- I DO KNOW WHERE THEY'VE BEEN Very Happy Geoff

Last edited by supershuttle on 11th Jun 2014 8:43am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #264601 11th Jun 2014 8:36am
kingpleb

I see your reasoning. BUT new tyres can be just as much of a risk. IIRC there are members who have experienced issues with premium brand new tyres... Tyre treads coming away from canvas's or leaving in chunks if i recall.

Ive been running used tyres for many years, generally i found it cheaper to buy another set of wheels with tyres from a breaker vehicle and sell on the set i take off but its horses for courses really.

Used brake pads argument isn't along the same lines IMO as you can have a set of pads youve used before or just to bed in some discs before moving over to better pads. Pads also either work or dont work and are easy enough to test, though i've never come across used pads being sold before, even breakers yards just chuck them in the metal container. Well the ones worth anything do anyway. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #264604 11th Jun 2014 8:39am
kingpleb

My final point.....

Click image to enlarge
 FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #264605 11th Jun 2014 8:41am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It's a good point, and very well made.

What were we talking about again? Shocked Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #264608 11th Jun 2014 9:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>