Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Brake Squeal & Removal of pads without removing calipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Right that's me a qualified mechanic now. Master Tech within the month Laughing

Have now completed the removal, cleaning, copper greasing and refitting of the recently fitted front Brembo pads.

mpirie and others were right, provided you've got the correct tools and listen to what you're being told, this is a truly straightforward (but surprisingly satisfying) job to do and as has been said, you know exactly what's been done... I won't say 'that it's been done right' just yet, ahem Wink

No brake fluid overflow, the front passenger side brake sensor wire simply clipped out and in via plier pressure on the plastic plug, nothing seized/ wouldn't come out, no danger presented from the caliper springs, just an A,B,C process.

Don't know what others do but to try and eradicate squeal and avoid re-work on this, I truly caked (painted) copper grease thickly on every bit of the Brembo pad, including all edges and the only part I left free of grease was the pad face that comes into contact with the discs under braking. I also got inside the caliper (which I didn't remove from the vehicle and cleaned that recess out with a stiff brush and brake cleaner and I actually greased the 2 piston faces inside each caliper too before re-fitting the newly greased brake pads.

No squeals, the brakes feel a little less metal on metal when applied and the calipers don't actually feel as hot as they did after a drive, although that might be in my head.

Time will tell but so far so good, touch wood Thumbs Up

Post #268547 2nd Jul 2014 11:26am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless Iโ€™m not at home, in which case Iโ€™m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I've got the front discs and pads to replace ok mine, so now you're fully time served, could you do mine?

Very Happy Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #268551 2nd Jul 2014 11:52am
pld118

A brave man! Laughing

Thumbs Up

Post #268586 2nd Jul 2014 1:52pm
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

alanm_3 wrote:
I've got the front discs and pads to replace ok mine, so now you're fully time served, could you do mine?

Very Happy

Front discs aren't that difficult to do either.....just a step on from doing the pads.

You will need to remove the caliper from the carrier.....a 7mm allen key, then remove the carrier, 17mm socket or ring spanner.

Once the carrier is off, you will be able to remove the hub locking screw, allen key again (i think) then the disc will fall off.

When reassembling, make sure to clean everything and then clean it again. you need to make sure the new disc sits cleanly on the hub so the disc rotates properly......and did i mention cleaning? Make sure to clean the protective coating from the disc too before replacing the carrier, caliper etc.

Oh, and don't let the caliper hang on the hose.......it'll stress the hose unnecessarily.

Post #268656 2nd Jul 2014 5:23pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless Iโ€™m not at home, in which case Iโ€™m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You clearly missed the entire meaning of my post! Whistle Rolling with laughter Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #268663 2nd Jul 2014 6:28pm
pld118

Embarassed

Rolling with laughter

Post #268665 2nd Jul 2014 6:33pm
pld118

The squeal is back!

Just a little for now but creeping back nevertheless.

It only seems to come on after 3 or 4 minutes normal driving.

The first indication of it's return was a couple of days ago after having stopped at traffic lights in warm weather (over 20 degrees C outside) then when setting off and driving up a hill and turning the steering wheel slightly to the left, the squeak/ squeal came from the front passenger wheel area although not under braking.

It hasn't made that left steering turn squeal since but both front wheels are very lightly, intermittently squealing/squeaking under braking when the car is at operating temperature and has been driven for several minutes.

Also noticed last week a few days after greasing the pads that when reversing slowing and applying the foot brake there is an intermittent squeak/ squeal, apparently from the rear wheel (I've not re-greased the rear pads yet).

Don't get me wrong, the noises are nowhere near as frequent or loud as they were before. In fact it's negligible but just a wee bit frustrating. In saying that, we have a neighbour with a new - prancing horses badged - car and the constant brake squeal from that is excruciatingly loud and painful to listen to.

The RR failed it's MOT on the EPB sticking a few months ago and the remedy was to 'strip back and clean' the brake shoes at one hours labour. Whenever I drive the car, I always apply neutral and the EPB when stationary. I'm wondering if this squeal could be EPB related?

It could be the brake pad composition (Brembo pads all round). As an experiment, at the point of cleaning and re-greasing the front brakes/ pads, I completely cleaned the inner areas of the alloy wheels before replacing them and I haven't cleaned them for 2 weeks. They are now caked in brake dust.

I'd be interested to know how many members have used Brembo pads on the RR and whether they've noticed any brake squeal?

This is not the end of the world, I'm just curious.

Brake pad type and theories aside, I'm also trying to make sure I'm not missing anything else obvious. Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

Post #270232 11th Jul 2014 6:20am
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

alanm_3 wrote:
You clearly missed the entire meaning of my post! Whistle Rolling with laughter

I'd like to think I didn't, but as you can see from the rest of this post, all it needs is a minimum of tools and a level of confidence to do a lot of DIY mechanics and i'd encourage anyone to have a go.

But if I did miss it.... Bow down Wink

Post #270268 11th Jul 2014 10:22am
pld118

Squeal is intermittently back! Banging Head

Not coming on when brakes applied, so far, braking actually stops the squeal.

Seems to come on front wheels at about 30mph, usually after having set off from stop or slow speed. First noticed it this time when setting off and steering slightly left.

Strangely car wheels not been cleaned for a few weeks and I always wonder if a build up of dust from dirtier wheels brings it on!

Post #274567 5th Aug 2014 10:27pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Check its not the rears binding...... Can sound like the fronts depending on which way the wind is blowing Whistle

Mine are droning at slow speed at the moment, cant really be bothered to do them at the moment as they will need changing soon in any case. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #274572 5th Aug 2014 10:37pm
pld118

All new calipers discs and pads on the rear too though... Will check Thumbs Up

Post #274576 5th Aug 2014 10:44pm
pld118

Was informed by a listener that the squeal (worsening IMO & at times embarrassingly loud) has definitely maybe been coming from the front driver's side wheel.

So I've this week inspected the suspension arms, joints/ bushings on both front axles and they didn't look expired. Lubricated them all anyway to determine, shorter term at least,if they might be the cause of the wheelbarrow noise type squeak/ squeal... and it made no difference at all!

So, off with the wheels again and for the 2nd time in 2 months, out with the Brembo pads for a thorough stiff brush/ clean of the inside of the calipers and pads (surprising amount of accumulated dust I have to say), before filing down/ rounding off the squared/ sharper looking pad edges, finally, yet again thoroughly copper greasing the caliper piston faces and pads (not the braking surfaces!)...

Now also exploring caliper refurb, just in case.

And we wait... Shhhhhhh... Whistle

Post #277016 22nd Aug 2014 4:44am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

squeak,squeak,squeak......................

Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ฦŽ๊“•โˆ€๊“•O๊“ค PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #277046 22nd Aug 2014 10:08am
pld118

Well... Been raining and damp but after a wee bit driving today including on warmed up dry roads, nothing from the driver's side yet and it all does appear more velvet like down there again , ahem.

But... the front passenger side is still intermittently giving off cheeky wee squeaks!

So, front pass wheel will be off and will get same treatment as the the driver's side... Laughing

Can't wait til it's banished as the weather is closing in and it's getting cold driving around with the windows down all the time! Rolling with laughter

As an aside, assuming this is caliper/ pad related, is there a view as to how often brake calipers and pads should be cleaned and greased because although it can be done in less time than it takes to clean the car, once every 2 months seems ridiculous to me, although I've just read from some performance techie mechanic that it's an often overlooked safety shortcoming and should very much be done regularly?

Thumbs Up

Post #277092 22nd Aug 2014 1:16pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

here's a thought ryan, how about directing a pressure washer at the calliper/brakes to get rid of any brake dust or crud.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ฦŽ๊“•โˆ€๊“•O๊“ค PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #277120 22nd Aug 2014 3:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>