Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Removal of face level vents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green
Removal of face level vents

I have a need to remove both face vents, at each end of the dash.
The video below shows how it's done.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work quite so easily for me. I can pull back each of the spring clips holding the vent in position but when I release each one to go to the next one for release, the spring clip reverts back to it's "hold" position.
This is unlike in the video when it appears all you have to do is release each clip in turn and then pull out the vent.
As far as I can see I would have to hold all 4 clips in the release position simultaneously to release the vent.
Has anyone done this recently using the method shown in the video and if so can you help by explaining what I am obviously doing wrong. Big Cry

Post #269640 8th Jul 2014 11:30am
marshy

Australia 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Mate I had to use 2 screwdrivers and do one side at a time. Once u get those springs on one side in pull it a little and then do the otherside thats how I had to mine I even had to get the other half to have a go as I ran out of patients a few times

Post #269645 8th Jul 2014 11:48am
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Just bend the tabs back, carfull not to go too far over as they'll snap but need to bend them far enough not for them to spring back home.

Thats what I did when taking the dash to bits to repair the pixels. If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #269649 8th Jul 2014 12:05pm
nicedayforit

Thanks for the replies, both suggestions seem to be feasible, I'm just a bit wary of bending things that shouldn't need to be bent.
It does seem the video is a bit lacking in this matter which is surprising as I have seen the seem method shown in a Powerful uk video. Artistic license I presume.

Post #269670 8th Jul 2014 2:03pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

The Powerful FF does appear to come apart rather easily.

I suspect it's a well-rehearsed routine for them on parts that haven't been removed for the first time. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #269681 8th Jul 2014 3:17pm
nicedayforit

Sussed it Thumbs Up

The easy way to get the face vents out with out bending anything and which can be repeated again without damage is as follows.

Obtain an old credit card and cut from it 4 length ways strips each 7mm wide and with square ends.
Prise one of the 4 spring clips back with a bradawl or similar until the edge is evident and slide one of the strips behind it thus preventing it from retracting. Leave the strip in place. Repeat for the other 3 spring clips.
Then simply get hold of the vent and it will slide out easily.
To re-insert the vent, remove the strips of credit card and push the vent back into place, the springs will lock as you push the vent in.
Be aware, the spring clips are plastic, formed as part of the plastic vent shell.

Simples and not a video camera in sight. Very Happy

Post #269689 8th Jul 2014 3:50pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Nice Job , good tip!! Thumbs Up Bow down 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #269690 8th Jul 2014 3:51pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Another easy way is to use a radio removal tool, if you have one, the standard size "U" shape tool that fits Fords and lots of others are the exact size to release top and bottom tags on each side, simply push them in and pull out the vent, works on the center vent as well... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #269705 8th Jul 2014 5:25pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Nice tip there, well done Thumbs Up . Now what you up to too take them out? If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #269769 8th Jul 2014 9:55pm
nicedayforit

^ I need to get at a connector on the instrument panel to check continuity on a cable from there to the diagnostic socket.
A lot of work to check something but needs must. Rolling Eyes

Post #269771 8th Jul 2014 10:05pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

nicedayforit wrote:
Thanks for the replies, both suggestions seem to be feasible, I'm just a bit wary of bending things that shouldn't need to be bent.
It does seem the video is a bit lacking in this matter which is surprising as I have seen the seem method shown in a Powerful uk video. Artistic license I presume.

To be fair, PowerfulUK don't gain anything from doing these video's... Only helping their customers & those of you DIYers who view them for free on youtube... Bit unfair IMO to criticise the guys there for providing a free service to all! Just my 2p's worth... Whistle

Post #269792 8th Jul 2014 11:18pm
nicedayforit

Wasn't really intended as a criticism it just seems daft to indicate a method of doing something on a "How to" video which patently doesn't work. Might as well show a method that does work. Powerful uk's vidoes are generally very good, a lot of them are however related to products they sell as "enhancements" and as such are commercially related to sales.

Post #269842 9th Jul 2014 8:31am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Actually I've seen that vid and noticed this immediately too. I think Powerful UK does just bend the tabs back until the plastic creases and folds. Might even work a couple of times before they break off completely, but it is not the way it was intended. The spring action is there so that the vent is clicked back into the very tightes position automatically - and nothing rattles. The fold over methods are the kinds of things you see every now and again (done mainly by the likes of audio installers) and where the entire interior rattles at every bump.

I don't think that pointing this out is unfair - I'd consider it constructive criticism. The Powerful UK vids are great - and the owner (Simon?) is a really nice guy. But not everything they do is perfect. Especially that gas cap cover. Shocked
Laughing 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #269935 9th Jul 2014 3:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1