Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2002-2006 Replacement head unit running Android
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 36 <123 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

RR2008HSE wrote:
Very interesting. It's nice to know there's an alternative. Is there one for the 2007+ cars with Terrain Response, etc.?

You could always fit one of these and put your original in the glovebox..... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #276245 17th Aug 2014 11:00pm
Haylands

Did a quick video of it starting up, not as quick as a normal unit but by the time you've got going it's up to speed...

http://vid252.photobucket.com/albums/hh32/...054af7.mp4 Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #276760 20th Aug 2014 8:57pm
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

seems a tad slow to my windows 6-0 ce model installed in mine, i just swap cards for sat nav i use primo8 beonroad and polnav, _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #276960 21st Aug 2014 8:08pm
hex

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Baltic Blue

Scottyav what's the CE device you have installed

Post #276968 21st Aug 2014 9:04pm
Haylands

Scottyav wrote:
seems a tad slow to my windows 6-0 ce model installed in mine, i just swap cards for sat nav i use primo8 beonroad and polnav,

Must be down to the unit I recon I've got another one running Win6CE and it's quicker than that.... Apart from that I think it's an all round improvement...

Why are you using two sat navs?? I thought Polnav was just Taiwan maps!!!! Pete

Post #276971 21st Aug 2014 9:19pm
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Another top job Buddy Thumbs Up

I would buy one tomorrow if I thought I could fit the thing. Sadly i don't have a feckin clue, dvb, canbus and all the other tech terms go way above my head, LOL.

Post #276990 21st Aug 2014 10:22pm
Haylands

Buy one, drive here, I'll fit it and show you how, then you buy the beers.... Pete

Post #276992 21st Aug 2014 10:57pm
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Thumbs Up As a Hull born lad and with a brother still living there, I might just take you up on that in the near future buddy.

Regards.

Post #276993 21st Aug 2014 11:05pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

when I was younger I knew all about car radios, and all the cut wires colours on the back, from being stolen etc. nowadays, I have to bow to the geeks who know best. I have the 2002 (bmw) vogue v8. I would like to rip out the old and get this setup. I don't know much about android having only ipad type tablet experience. so, I have a few numbie questions.
do you get new apps wirelessly? or do you get a long usb cord from your home pc/laptop?
when android gets old and new version comes out is it upgradable like the ipad, until its too old? like the ipad 1 (falls off at ios5)
does the satnav work as good as the dvd based nav in the later models, 25 seconds is ok, is the destination input straightforward? (offroad excluded) and are there any annoying Chinese oddities like translation ie 'turn left into certain paradise' or is it all proper English? can you change the voices?
I don't mind losing a couple of old features like dash mpg and clock, but what else might I have missed.
lastly I also don't mind changing out the speakers for some tasty component type ie bass mid and trebles. and replace the sub with a small aftermarket one -that will sound nice. is there much sound adjustment ie graphic equaliser with more than the silly fixed choice 'hall/stadium/blah-blah' etc settings, or is there a sort of 10 band frequency sliders, like the old vogue type? this will bring me into 21st century, especially the iphone 'toothing over. I have long thought that one day we will have a small hard drive in a car, with all our home cd's to hand in data mp3's, its sort of here with a usb input now, and an iphone with podcasts and favourites makes me want to buy one right now! before I become too old and glue the dial to radio 4 or even 'magic fm!'
looking forward to any tips/user experience. cheers, great thread!

Post #276994 21st Aug 2014 11:09pm
Haylands

johnboyairey wrote:
when I was younger I knew all about car radios, and all the cut wires colours on the back, from being stolen etc. nowadays, I have to bow to the geeks who know best. I have the 2002 (bmw) vogue v8. I would like to rip out the old and get this setup. I don't know much about android having only ipad type tablet experience. so, I have a few numbie questions.
do you get new apps wirelessly? or do you get a long usb cord from your home pc/laptop?

It will sink to your phones personal hotspot or you can plug in a data dongle. Android is just like an Iphone set up so if you know that you'll be fine

when android gets old and new version comes out is it upgradable like the ipad, until its too old? like the ipad 1 (falls off at ios5)

Yes it is up datable

does the satnav work as good as the dvd based nav in the later models, 25 seconds is ok, is the destination input straightforward? (offroad excluded) and are there any annoying Chinese oddities like translation ie 'turn left into certain paradise' or is it all proper English? can you change the voices?

Sat nav is Igo Primo, beautiful system, very adaptable, easy interface, see the link on last page... lots of voices, is a stand alone system and doesn't need internet access, full Europe maps

I don't mind losing a couple of old features like dash mpg and clock, but what else might I have missed.

Thats about it

lastly I also don't mind changing out the speakers for some tasty component type ie bass mid and trebles. and replace the sub with a small aftermarket one -that will sound nice. is there much sound adjustment ie graphic equaliser with more than the silly fixed choice 'hall/stadium/blah-blah' etc settings, or is there a sort of 10 band frequency sliders, like the old vogue type? this will bring me into 21st century, especially the iphone 'toothing over. I have long thought that one day we will have a small hard drive in a car, with all our home cd's to hand in data mp3's, its sort of here with a usb input now, and an iphone with podcasts and favourites makes me want to buy one right now! before I become too old and glue the dial to radio 4 or even 'magic fm!'
looking forward to any tips/user experience. cheers, great thread!

It will take a 32GB sd card in the front with music on so plenty for most.... haven't really looked at the amp settings, I think it just has three sliders, sounds fine on Radio 4 to me, I've deleted the amp but if you run it through that it should be real good......

Pete

Post #277011 22nd Aug 2014 1:16am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

mmmmmm, very interested..
and it was a typical 'near side seats out, and carpets up' to run the cable(s) and did you encounter any BECM nasties, when hacking into 12v supply? and no starting up 'bongs'? I ask as I want it on both the usual 12v permanent, and ign acc 12v live.
and I could always go back, if left in, -even refitting original speakers.
very tempted. I think I see a curved effect on the front panel. but I can always tidy that by filling and painting the nav trim surrounds to match the curves at a later date. as I wanted to gloss black them anyway. I could actually do them in stippled matt to match..
hey its really growing on me. £350 ish on yr doorstep, and maybe a couple hundred more on some tasty component speakers/crossovers.

BANGING!

I saw some previous posts re vogue stereo rip-outs, and it put me off, with stuff disabled, but I can live without some lesser things, for a top modern setup. - that in 5 years might be pants though! as we will probably be wearing some 'I-spectacles' with the nav in the lenses!

Post #277091 22nd Aug 2014 1:08pm
Haylands

John,

It wires/plugs in to the original wiring. I had more work to do as I removed the amp, the 12v acc and 12v batt are in the plug already, it then has an earth and a 12v out for the aerial amplifier, they had the panel lights wired to the can bus box but this didn't work on mine so I wired them into the rear near side, side light as it's next to the rest of the wiring in the boot, the side lights aren't on can bus so no faults or problems with that.... then the speakers. Have no errors at all and everything works fine. You do need a long aerial lead to get from the head unit to the boot....

I cut and soldered the wires but it is totally reversable to return to stock.

Just sold my old head unit and GPS DVD (both were working perfectly) for £305 on eBay so it's cost me £25 so far !!! Very Happy Very Happy Pete

Post #277303 24th Aug 2014 5:17pm
alahmed

Saudi Arabia 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Bournville

this a real perfect job Haylands Thumbs Up

Post #277629 27th Aug 2014 1:36am
alahmed

Saudi Arabia 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Bournville

Haylands

what are these in below pictures?

the other thing , you have replaced the analogue clock with a digital voltmeter and really that was a very brilliant idea , so what do you about the next product to be installed in the same place.

eBay Item No. 171332566054

Post #277859 28th Aug 2014 12:32pm
Haylands

Here's a clearer picture, the left socket is for a CB radio, we use them to chat whilst in convoy during off road expeditions but I didn't want it on display so I took it apart and hard wired in an extension to the microphone plug, a right pain in the butt as the wires are the thickness of a hair and I haven't got HD eyes any more Laughing It's fitted in the glove box

The switch next to it is the power switch for the CB, this is a permanent supply so as not to lose the radio when you stop and switch off, the LED next to it is to remind you to turn it off at the end of the day and not flatten the battery...

The new switch on the right is to turn off the electric fans when you go wading, last thing you want is them to kick in and fan water all over the engine, they can also snap the blades if they hit water whilst running, this is fitted with a 75db piezo buzzer to remind you you have turned them off and to turn them back on when wading has finished so you don't cook the engine...

The last square one is the LPG switch which has a built in gauge, well, four LED's to give you an idea of how much LPG is in the tank...

And before you ask the brushed alloy rings around the cigarette lighter and ignition were some I bought for an old Volvo, saw them on eBay one night and thought they'd look good on mine so I bought them, only to find the next morning that mine already had them...... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I did look at all sorts of gauges to replace the clock, including one like that, but decided I'd just do volts... easy and cheap....

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

Post #277906 28th Aug 2014 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 36 <123 ... 343536>