Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Everything Errors, AGAIN
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Everything Errors, AGAIN

Hi All,

I posted a little over a month ago that I was sometimes getting a huge number of errors right after starting the car (2008 AJV8): transmission fault, HDC fault, suspension fault and many others. Turning the car off and restarting would cure it and the car drives fine.

I had it in to the indie mechanic who diagnosed a shot alternator and a battery just barely within spec. I had him change out the battery and the alternator was professionally rebuilt.

Also, given the recommendations I received the first time around here, I make sure to allow everything to "boot up" before attempting to drive off. (I wait for the airbag warning light, the slowest of all the lights that come on when starting, to extinguish before driving.)

The last two days, I've had the "everything errors" coming back. (To say I'm not happy would be rather an understatement.)

I've notice two things: first this has only happened when the car has been switched off for very short periods of time (park, run into shop, run out) in the 2-3-4 minute range. I remember there's a busy time after shutdown when you can't disconnect the battery. Could this be having an effect?

I put the IID on the car. On plugging it in, I noticed the voltage reading (engine off) was 11.8 to 11.9V. I remember getting about 12.2V under similar conditions before the work. Is this a problem? Bad battery still? Bad alternator still? Is there anything that could stop the battery and alternator doing their jobs?

Any advice (other than buy a Toyota) much appreciated. And yes, I do have a call in the mechanic for a callback on Monday.

Post #284528 5th Oct 2014 8:39pm
Joe90

England 

Are you doing a lot of short trips (+ in the dark ) ?

Battery voltage doesn't look right.

How is it across the battery terminals when you have the engine running. If not up in the 13v+ area then alternator a problem?

This all sounds like low voltage problems..... .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #284530 5th Oct 2014 8:43pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

No. Both were trips of reasonable length. Yes, Saturday's was after dark, but the car had just had 20+ minutes on the motorway with only the headlights, radio and a bit of cabin fan going. It should have had the battery at full charge.

Post #284548 5th Oct 2014 10:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1