Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > INACCURATE FUEL GUAGE READING - LR SENDER WIRING MOD?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jz

United Kingdom 
INACCURATE FUEL GUAGE READING - LR SENDER WIRING MOD?

inaccurate fuel guage reading - lr sender wiring mod?

hi...

2011 5l sc currently in with dealer having the wiring modification done to fix inaccurate reading, so a question please to those who own the same.

when filled to the brim, what does the trip computer tell you the mileage range is - mine before going in for work to be done showed ~338miles is that in-line with others?

many thanks!
(though best to start new post..)

Post #463987 10th Jan 2018 12:57pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the trip computer also takes into account of the previous average mpg, ie, if you have only been doing town driving with low mpg it will take that into its calculations...if all at 50mph with better mpg ,it then takes that into account.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #463997 10th Jan 2018 1:56pm
jz

United Kingdom 

Thanks and yes understand it's dynamic. Why I'm asking, with now mod allegedly now done the car now shows ~305 full range mileage reading when full to the brim prior to the work being done it was ~338, so to get worse makes no sense to me.

This mod is meant to correct corrosion to the connector block that affects resistance and thus could send an incorrect reading. I told them to swap out the sender as all under warranty but wanted to know what fellows owners could share regarding fuel tank ranges when full on their 5L SC cars? Doing quick math, ~23 gallon tank, assume say 15mpg = 345miles so perplexing at best to listen to dealer logic.

A few searches on generic sites... Any others have a view pls?

Land Rover Range Rover III 5.0 V8 Supercharged Fuel Consumption (Economy), Emissions and RangeLand Rover Range Rover III 5.0 V8 Supercharged Fuel Consumption (Economy), Emissions and Range

Fuel Consumption - Economy - Combined: 14.9 L/100km
19 mpg UK / 16 mpg US

Fuel Consumption - Economy - Extra Urban: n/d L/100km

Fuel Consumption - Economy - City: n/d L/100km

Fuel Tank Capacity : 105 L
23.1 UK gallons
27.7 US gallons

Range : 704 Km or 438 miles

Post #464000 10th Jan 2018 2:19pm
jz

United Kingdom 

bump

Hi - can anyone share what fuel range (not mpg) they get 5L SC full to brim? Thx

Post #464148 11th Jan 2018 12:25pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Can't scroll through the trip computer display options and get the present MPG? that way you could work out what it should be on a full tank ie. MPG x 23 = range!! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #464319 12th Jan 2018 8:22pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I think tank range on the dash is just a guess. You're better to test its accuracy for 3 tanks. Just reset your trip each time you fill. Try to fill to brim and fill up as empty as you dare. I just filled my 4,4 diesel with estimated 12 miles to empty and it took 90 litres. And what is empty anyway? 10litres remaining? 5? 0?

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #464335 12th Jan 2018 9:54pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle they will always err on the side of caution... you'd be a bit miffed with your shiny new Range Rover if it said it's going to run out of fuel, cough and die instantly Shocked They tend to build in a safety factor... it's up to you how far you push the envelope Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #464349 12th Jan 2018 11:11pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

JZ probably the best explanation it that the reading before the fix was inaccurate therefore giving you optimistic range estimates.

As I mentioned above ^^ do three full to empty tests resetting your trip each time and then you'll know what your actual range is.

Make a note each time of the distance to empty reading too.

Post up the results too.

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #464369 13th Jan 2018 8:09am
miggit

United Kingdom 

jz wrote:
Thanks and yes understand it's dynamic. Why I'm asking, with now mod allegedly now done the car now shows ~305 full range mileage reading when full to the brim prior to the work being done it was ~338, so to get worse makes no sense to me.

Whistle Has it occured to you that some lead footed mechanic might have taken your ffrr for a spin? It would only take a few traffic light races and your average consumption will have gone down... this will effect the "Fuel Range" as it looks at how the car has been driven, as well as what it's doing at the present. I would strongly urge you to do a full reset on the trip computer and see what happens.

There is another thing to bare in mind... the garage might have done a reset... and you haven't driven it over 30 (being optimistic as you say you live in London, some parts you're luck to get over 3 mph!!), if you have never reset the the computer then it will be taking all the historic readings as well, and it might have spent years cruising on motorways.. which would give it a high reading on the average MPG and directly effect the fuel range. Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #464381 13th Jan 2018 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1