Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Battery Disconnect Unit 1 Fault code (& SRS airbag warni
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jcsh

France 
Battery Disconnect Unit 1 Fault code (& SRS airbag warni

I was wondering whether I had the wiring for the Phone mic installed in my 2004. So I had a look and a bit of a light rummage around in the RVM enclosure and in the centre console below the cup holder. Nothing there, But then I noticed the SRS light was ON. Gaaah!
Cycling the ignition/ stating the engine causes it to go out them immediately back on as it (presumably) confirms a fault...
Popped down to my local friendly garage and they tried to clear the fault.
Tester device repeatedly said fault cleared but then it returned immediately.
Then I noticed that 1 of the wires to the battery mounted disconnect device was broken so thought 'AHA!' (but a bit of a coincidence) and soldered it back together - but it hasn't made any difference - is there any way to loop out the disconnect device to fool the system that its working and thus remove it from investigations..?

Has anyone else had this issue?

cheers
James

Post #320734 1st Apr 2015 6:47am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Rather than just clear the fault code would it not be an idea to get it read so that you then have an indication where the fault lies?
Then take it from there.

Post #320747 1st Apr 2015 8:51am
Jcsh

France 

The fault code was "battery disconnect Unit 1"
Wink

Post #320763 1st Apr 2015 10:51am
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Bit of googling for you came up with this :

"Well good news, I disconnected the 'battery disconnect unit' at the yellow multiplug by the battery, turned the ignition off, turned on ignition and the light was on, turned off ignition and reconnected it, ignition back on and light still on when I started.
I connected up the all comms and under the SRS section I did the usual open, read faults, then clear faults and left it with the rx and tx lights flashing and after about 20 seconds the red srs light started to flash slowly.
I left it for a bit, closed the connection and the light went out and is still out"

From here : http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f10/srs-air-bag-light-237933-4.html Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #320766 1st Apr 2015 10:56am
Jcsh

France 

Hey, yes thanks for that. I googled that too and tried it. It just keeps getting reset and nought else. Sad

Post #320773 1st Apr 2015 11:29am
nicedayforit

Could be a new battery disconnect unit needed Wink Thumbs Up
They can't be that expensive.

Post #320813 1st Apr 2015 3:20pm
Jcsh

France 

Or it might be something the other end. I'd like to loop out the battery disconnect unit, so does anyone know how? Does the BDU present a resistance to its Ecu or is it just closed/open circuit? Last night I tried a link providing a short circuit to the Ecu by disconnecting the yellow plug and shorting the wires. Which did not change anything in terms of the light cycling from off to on as soon as the startup diagnostics are performed.

Post #320871 1st Apr 2015 7:49pm
nicedayforit

This is from the vehicle wiring diagram, seems to be a resistor involved for monitoring.

Post #320876 1st Apr 2015 8:13pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

my car......... 2002 v8 vogue.

please observe correct shutdown procedure for battery/nav/SRS etc before working on airbags etc.

if its any help I had this fault when I got my rangie, and that year, the new MOT law said that SRS light cannot remain on. so after resetting with an 'allcomms', I still was getting the same as you mentioned above, ie batt dis, unit etc. I bought a battery disconnect NEW unit, and still same! about £80 GB I think. (ign on, then SRS on, off, stay on etc) after asking around, and googling, I was decided on changing the SRS ECU. as sometimes they 'latch' a fault etc. I got one (guaranteed no faults) secondhand from a dismantler here in UK for about £20 it was an hour to remove some of the centre console parts, and lift it up rear enough to get to the plug and gently plug new one in before trying to remove it.(to prove) this then reset ok, and I went back to the old disconnect unit. I still have the new one here in UK.

I don't know enough about why it was maybe 'latched' no damage to car etc. all working ok now. but I asked the indy that used to look after the car for old owner, and they could not reset it either.
someone else said they latch, so that naughty people cant 'clean' a (seemingly) 'wronged' car etc. only land rover. and if its land rover, then you might as well fix it yourself with another one!
pretty sure is was this company, but this is the part... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-L322...3cf1e68850

Post #320879 1st Apr 2015 8:24pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

oh, and I just searched as I thought I had typed this before, and yes, this SRS ECU fixed another members car too. here: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic17641-30.html

Post #320881 1st Apr 2015 8:35pm
Jcsh

France 

Thanks for your help guys, I'm pretty sure that I must have disturbed the ECU connector in the centre console when I was searching for the telephone cabling. I wonder if the SRS 'fault' I now have has turned off the airbags or whether the build can just be disabled safely... I wonder how easy it is to disable the bulb!

Post #321501 6th Apr 2015 9:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1