Home > General > Sold my Range Rover for a Disco3 - Very disappointed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
CMJ

2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black
Sold my Range Rover for a Disco3 - Very disappointed

Hi all

First post although have followed this forum for many years. My first was a P38 I then bought a 2003 L322 Vogue. From 25,000 to 80,000 and 3 years of ownership I loved it. However, disappointed with some of the repair bills and some of the plastic interior trim I started to think about a Disco. (Sorry - I now realise this was my first mistake). Also the 7 seats had an appeal for those 1/100 journeys when you use them. Long and short I put the RR up for sale and in 2 days sold it for £1000 more than I thought it was worth. I wnet out and bought a 2.7 HSE Disco 3 and to be honest hate it. It creaks, it drives like a tractor and I am totally disappointed. So here is my dilema. Do I trade up to a Diso 4 or TDv8 06/07 RR ? I am still being pulled to the Disco for the addtional seats and dare I say it the farmer rather than 'tosser' image but I love my RR's. Has anyone one trader from a RR to disco 4 and come back etc. All opinions greatly received. BTW apologies for the farmer vs tosser comment but as a past owner I hope you all take this in the spirit it is meant. This is definately a no Chrome zone !!

Post #31322 10th Oct 2010 2:49pm
JOKER

Scotland 

If the seven seats are the issue then i would say go for the D4 , what with it now having a 3.0 engine and a more refined and updated interior ......

Some might say upgrade a FFRR to a seven seater but i think too much hassle and expense in the process of doing that ..

Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #31323 10th Oct 2010 3:04pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Well I came from a D3 to a FFRR and I have to say:
1. I miss the 7 seats
2. I miss the huge boot.
3. I don't miss all the creaking
4. No I WOULD NOT GO BACK Thumbs Up

And yes, I have tried the D4. Vastly better than the D3 and still nowhere near as good as the FFRR TDV8 I have now.

Post #31340 10th Oct 2010 7:09pm
Lookers Park Royal

D3 V TD6 RR = RR
D4 V TD6 RR = D4
D4 V TDV8 RR = RR

Only my opinion! Whistle

James Thumbs Up

Post #31341 10th Oct 2010 7:23pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

No experience of D3 ownership except I owned a 2.7TDv6 RRS followed by a TDv8 RRS, both came after a TD6 FFRR SE...................................... the RRS's where great cars, I loved them and they did evrything I wanted of a car BUT neither had the fit and finish of even the TD6 SE. Up until August 6th I would have said that the TDv8 RRS was the best car I have ever owned, superb engine and a good spec (I had no optionals extras on mine), on Aug 6th I collected a 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Vogue from lookers Park Royal - this is by a long way the best car I have ever owned , happy YES and today it even got a lot of mud in the wheel-arches and I now know that the Rock Crawl and Mud and Ruts settings on the TR work beautifully in conjunction with the TDv8 even if I did manage to get the day's average fuel consumption down to 7.8mpg while offroad Big Cry

Go for the 06-07 TDv8, it still walks all over the D4 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 10th Oct 2010 10:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #31345 10th Oct 2010 7:55pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

I looked at a D4 and quickly changed my mind for two main reasons. (went for TDV8 FFRR)

1. There is no sense of space in the front like a RR, everything seems closer to you like in a smaller car.
2. I got out and tried to get in the back. My knees were wedged in the back of the drivers seat. Again, like in a smaller car.

I'm guessing partly these are because you are squeezing three rows of seat in.

My wife's Skoda has the same feeling of space inside as a Disco. That may be a slight over-exageration, but it's not far off. Just inches.

As I am going to spend the most time in any car I buy, I want space for me, not for persons 6 and 7 that I may want to take once in a blue moon.

Post #31358 10th Oct 2010 9:47pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I'm in the same boat as mzplcg. I loved my D3 for three years but it was re-mapped from new with 240bhp. There is no way I'd have loved a standard D3 in the same way. However, against a TDV8 FFRR there is no comparison, although there are a couple of (minor) points where even the D3 scores even against the RR.

The D4 is apparently better than the D3 but I doubt if you'd notice too much of a difference if the D3 was re-mapped. By contrast, the TDV8 doesn't need a re-map to keep you smiling.

I couldn't go back to a Disco, simply because the FFRR is so much more commanding and comfortable on the road. If the seven seats are a 'must-have' then you don't have much choice. If you can live without them, then it's TDV8 all the way.

1. I don't miss the seven seats.
2. I don't miss the boot capacity
3. My D3 didn't creak but did have a few warranty issues
4. I wouldn't choose to go back either. The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #31384 11th Oct 2010 1:36pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I moved from New TDV6 RRS to New D3 TDV6 Metropolis then Used FFRR V8 LPG, Then FFRR V8, Then FFRR TDV8......

The FFRR TDV8 made me smile ten times more than the rest and the extra feeling of space is a major issue.......

If I need 7-Seats it would be D4 TDV8 Whistle

Post #31386 11th Oct 2010 4:22pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

7 seats or a TDV8 - can u attach the kids/ pets to a rrofrack or get a trailer for them or have a couple of them adopted - the TDV8 should compensate you Laughing

Post #31488 12th Oct 2010 9:55am
scene247

United Kingdom 

My wife liked the Q7 as it had 7 seats, then I told her LR do 7 seater in the Disco. She liked that too as said it would be useful so when she sees her family can take them and our little ones around too.

My response was to get FFRR (not arrived yet, still waiting for it)... Told her that they owned cars of their own and why the hell should I become a minibus service picking up all the travel costs everytime you go and see your family - they can just get in their car and meet you wherever!

We didn't talk for a day, what can I say. Bliss.

Then took the FFRR for test drive and she loved it and hasn't mentioned 7 seats again. Only concern now for her is getting baby seat and 2 child seats in the back at the same time.

Post #31498 12th Oct 2010 11:38am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

If they are old enough just remove the back part of the child seats and just use the booster part. Thumbs Up

Post #31499 12th Oct 2010 11:49am
scene247

United Kingdom 

Gazellio, thanks might work. Have 3yr old and 1.5yr old so far, third is not yet on the way but being talked about so would say in the next year or so (assuming all is still working!)

Anyway, hopefully eldest might just be getting big enough. And if not I've told the good lady wife that she'll just have to sit in the back and baby in front! Very Happy

After test drive when we went back to place order had said we need to try out and see if all the seats fit. Totally forgot to do that, oh well.

Post #31521 12th Oct 2010 1:43pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

scene247 wrote:
Gazellio, thanks might work. Have 3yr old and 1.5yr old so far, third is not yet on the way but being talked about so would say in the next year or so (assuming all is still working!)

Anyway, hopefully eldest might just be getting big enough. And if not I've told the good lady wife that she'll just have to sit in the back and baby in front! Very Happy

After test drive when we went back to place order had said we need to try out and see if all the seats fit. Totally forgot to do that, oh well.

Its big in the back there so I am sure they will all fit Thumbs Up

Post #31538 12th Oct 2010 4:47pm
3R10

France 

Is the Disco3 this bad? I was thinking of buying one myself just for fun! Offroading and holidays, as now prices seem to have dropped! Has anyone tried the 4.4 V8 jag engine? Is it any good? Or everyone has just used the 2.7 diesel... 2000 BMW M5, Avus Blue/LeMans Leather Interior
2006 Range Rover Westminster Java Black

Post #31546 12th Oct 2010 5:50pm
dantheman

United Kingdom 

I have the Jag 4.4 V8 Petrol lump in my motor - lovely!

Post #31564 12th Oct 2010 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>