Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter vs Summer Tyres - Conti 22's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Winter vs Summer Tyres - Conti 22's

I know it gets discussed every year, but I changed mine today, so thought I'd post some pics Thumbs Up

I have the 'standard' Conti 275 40 22's (left) on my L405 and fitted the Winter Conti (right) in the same size - here's what the 2 treads look like (wheels are back to back)

The overall tread pattern is very similar - hence the M+S logo on both - they are both very capable of self clearing & in slushy conditions or fresh snow would perform well and not get clogged up.

However, there are 2 key differences - the first is that the winter tyre is made with a higher silica content, so it remains much more flexible in colder conditions. The other is all the little cuts (sipes) in the tread blocks - then help to generate heat in the tyres and also create lots of little grippy edges - that's why winter tyres are so much more effective on ice - and in the cold generally on both wet & dry roads.

TBH the Summer Conti's have more of an all-season look to the tread than any tyre I've had before & Winters felt like a bit of an extravagant purchase this year, but now I've got them on I'm happy that I've got the best grip that I can get through the winter months Thumbs Up

Summer -

Winter-

Post #357949 21st Nov 2015 3:29pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

good info that Alistair...i wonder if you would notice a difference in normal day to day driving.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #357951 21st Nov 2015 3:40pm
Alistair

I've not actually driven on these yet - but from prior years I doubt I'll notice any difference at all - but there is usually at least 1 time over the winter when I'll be very glad that I've got them.

Somewhat similar to 4x4 or ABS - 99% of the time it doesn't matter, but when you need it you are very glad you have it.

Of course it's usually hard to know whether you would have stopped / made it up the icy hill etc with the summer tyres.

Post #357952 21st Nov 2015 3:51pm
Alistair

Having said that - I should clarify that that is on the FFRR

We also have a Cooper S - and on that there is noticeably less understeer - that's my station car & I usually get a 6am train and have a couple of big wide roundabouts on the route to the station Whistle

Post #357961 21st Nov 2015 4:35pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

It's the under steer that I noticed a difference in when going from summer to winter. Could corner much harder before the fronts started slipping. Surprising how close the two tread block designs are. V8 or else ...

Post #357968 21st Nov 2015 5:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1