Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Access height for a wheelchair user ** please help**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Covbandit

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue
Access height for a wheelchair user ** please help**

Hi, new to ffrr and have looked through forums, posts and contacted Land Rover and keep getting the same answer. My P38 in access height goes right down to the bump stops almost enabling me to grab the handle (extra one fitted) with my right arm and winch myself up one handed. The vogue is on 20's I know but is just way higher to the point I cannot get in. I bought the car boxing day and as it was raining I thought I was just being a bit pathetic but I have since tried and only managed to get in once un-aideded. I really dont want to sell it just because I cant get in, but everyone is saying the access height cannot be altered on its own. I have been thinking of some air solenoids on the airbags so I can press a switch and empty them. But is it like my P38 and will it re-set its height every few hours? Or has somebody managed to get the access height amended. The other option would be to maybe just have it on the front o/s and lower this one only similar to a Bus Kneeling.
Any thoughts, suggestions or remedies to this would be very helpful
thanks

Last edited by Covbandit on 11th Jan 2016 8:40am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #366450 11th Jan 2016 12:56am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

All FF's before the facelift in 2006 are able to have the access height programmed separately, I've got mine on the bump stops and normal on the other heights....

You just need an IID tool or similar to do it... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #366451 11th Jan 2016 1:04am
Haylands

Oh and it's usually a waste of time asking the dealer about our old cars... my mate took his in not long ago and they said they couldn't do anything because it was so old and they don't have the hardware anymore to plug it in.....

Find a good independent and they should be able to do it... it's a two minute job with the correct plug in tool Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #366452 11th Jan 2016 1:08am
Covbandit

Thanks Pete, I have just bought an iCarsoft i930 to clear the air sus inactive due to compressor ring failure. That does not allow me to do any programming though, I will have to have a look for an iid or a decent independant then, but that is fantastic news. I have been so deflated since LR told me "NO". I cannot believe the differance in height between the two. Plus once in I will need to strip my chair, lift over my lap and strap it to the pass seat, so the lower the better.
thanks again
John

Post #366453 11th Jan 2016 1:23am
Haylands

John, it's definitely doable with the earlier cars, never had a P38 but it does go a fare bit lower than it is at the moment, you do have to be careful, if you drive off forgetting to raise it and turn the wheels you will remodel your front wings... For this reason you might run into a problem getting an independent to do it due to liability etc...

The 20" wheels won't make any difference, the wheel and tyres are all the same overall height, you just have more wheel and less tyre than an 18 or 19...

The other thing to do is programme one of the seat memory buttons to a very low and rearward position to help you getting in, then another for your driving position, but you have probably thought of that already...

Good luck, hope it works.... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #366455 11th Jan 2016 2:36am
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

So it's not just me who finds the L322 at access height is a lot higher than my P38A was. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #366463 11th Jan 2016 6:32am
Covbandit

Just been looking at some independents in the area and there are quite a few, gonna have a ring round see if anyone can come out as l cant drive it until the hand controls have been fitted! And l dont want to waste 800 quid if once fitted l cant get in so stuck in a muddy dilema. Not only does the access height seem a lot higher, the whole car seems bigger. Higher roof, more leg room, bigger boot and a higher seating position, but the dimensions dont seem that different.

Post #366466 11th Jan 2016 8:32am
Covbandit

Hi Pete, yeah my p38 has two memory presets, so l use one for in and one for out when my wife is with me to get my chair out of the boot. The vogue looks like it has more so can utilise this for in and out on my own/out with chair in boot.
Pete what you say about catching the wings is a bit worrying, the p38 even on its bump stops wont hit the wing, scrubs on the mudflaps but thats it, as l have as you mentioned forgot to manually raise and drove off Embarassed
Might have to check on this and if that is the case set the height for slightly higher than wing masher to allow for sinkage. The 20's are standard width 255's and l guessed the rolling radius/overall wheel diameter would be similar otherwise there would be speedo issues. They were on it when l bought it so didnt have a choice. But will defo check and it may ne worth mentioning a liability waiver when asking. So if it does go pear shaped they wont be held accountable. Thanks again
John

Post #366467 11th Jan 2016 8:52am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I wouldn't raise the question of a liability waver when asking about getting it done, John. Wait to see what the response is first. Otherwise you may well be raising an issue in their mind which didn't exist until then.

Best wishes on resolving your dilemma. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #366468 11th Jan 2016 9:03am
Covbandit

Thats a good point, well got plenty of little jobs to do in the meantime so keeping my fingers crossed

Post #366469 11th Jan 2016 9:09am
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

Hi Covbandit
Cant offer any help I'm afraid but am following your question now, I have elderly parents who struggle getting in and out even when in access mode, and until now I was worried about lowering the access height would also change the overall ride height, which I do not want.

I'm in the South East but will also ring around now to see if an Indy will adjust just my access height.

Good luck with your search

Post #367240 15th Jan 2016 7:45pm
Covbandit

Thanks, as of yet l have had no joy, but l am busy trying to rectify the bodged up facelift conversion at the moment. There is a place in ashby de la zuch that have said they can do it but l am waiting for him to get back. If you have any luck before me would you drop me a note, thanks.

Post #367244 15th Jan 2016 8:02pm
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

Will do Covbandit, if I find anyone I will let you know, hope you get sorted soon my friend

Post #367712 18th Jan 2016 9:47am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

This should be easily achievable... What needs rectifying with the facelift sir? Maybe i can be of assistance?

Post #367721 18th Jan 2016 10:16am
Covbandit

Hi, whoever carried out the conversion did a nice job however ther are no wires to the main beam solenoid connected so, no main beam, also the headlamp washers do not work, but this appears to be a mix of broken jets and a knackerwd pump. The whole bumper appears loose so needs taking off and re aligning/fixing and it appears to have an aftermarket gearbok cooler which is basically hanging behind the bumper/ grill with no mounts. The oul filter bracket has also been snapped and is now held in with a rivet!!! The conversion looks a good job but the loom supplied did not have all the wires needed in the plug so a simple fix and l think the previous owner has had it all apart and just bodged it back together, for eg the n/ foglight cover was held in with blu tac! So l need to check what else he has broke. So l really appreciate the offer and may give you a call if l need some bits
Thanks
John

Post #367749 18th Jan 2016 1:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>