Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 Oil Leak Fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 29 of 36 <123 ... 282930 ... 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

https://bearmach.com/oil-cooler-and-filter...-lr022895a 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #576960 22nd Dec 2020 1:02pm
Dave.N21

Australia 2016 Range Rover HSE SDV8 Indus Silver

mattjtaylor2809 wrote:
Hello all, 1st time poster here.

I have a RRS MY14 4.4 TDV8 HSE Dynamic, bought 2nd hand & has run well for close to 1.5 years but....over the last 3 months it's started to smell like burning tyres but it's leaking oil.

I've read all 26 pages of this thread plus similar threads on the Aussie LR/RR forums but the local dealer in SA, Solitaire refuse to listen to any of this & want to replace all parts for about $2,900 (including labour). I asked them what's failed in order for them to replace everything & they've said we need to replace everything as it "may have cracked"!!

The local Indi is also nervous to just change o rings & gaskets but what he was saying is that my car's engine is quite different to the V8's on this thread & access is very difficult, so if he's doing this, he would replace the cooler, just to be safe.

Can anyone confirm that my engine variant is the same/similar that the V8's engines of this thread or is my diesel V8 of different design?

Cheers
Matt

Hey Matt,

How'd you go with sorting your issue out?

Did you find out how to access the cooler or did you get workshop to do it?

I was thinking of doing it myself until I read your post. I thought it was the same engine in all the range rovers? (v8 4.4)

Still haven't found out any steps to do this for the L494 chassis. Always optimistic, unless Censored really hits the fan

Post #577790 30th Dec 2020 4:54pm
Dave.N21

GraemeS wrote:
Your engine bay is different in that the L322 has a cabin air intake above the back of the engine which once removed gives very good access to the back of the engine, unlike your vehicle where access is not so easy. Whether the oil cooler is replaced or split into its 2 parts and a new gasket is fitted is not affected by the above differences but when paying someone else to do the work you might be better off to have the cooler replaced purely based on the extra labour cost of cleaning the old cooler and with the guarantee that the cooler isn't split, although this appears to be a very rare event.

Do you happen to have any diagrams or parts blow out to see what ill need to remove to access and remove oil cooler for the L494 2015? Always optimistic, unless Censored really hits the fan

Post #577791 30th Dec 2020 4:57pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Sorry I don't have diagrams etc from a workshop manual that show what has to be removed. With the engine cover removed and a torch in hand you should be able to get an idea of what it will take to get to the oil cooler, although the turbo oil feed line into the back of the oil cooler wont be visible. When the L322's cabin air intake is removed, access to the back of the top of the engine is greatly improved which makes removing the engine air intake, cooling system hoses and the oil cooler and the turbo feed oil line into the back of the oil cooler a relatively easy task.

The complete oil cooler for the 4.4 in the MY13 L405 had the same part number LR022895 as the MY12 L322 which doesn't appear to have been superseded and which also appears from internet searches to be applicable to all 4.4 engines in all L405 and L494.

Due to the reduced access over the top of the engine, the higher risk of getting debris into the oil cooler outlet port in the EGR cooler below which could destroy the engine, paying a workshop that has insurance to cover the cost of sourcing and fitting a new engine could be a much cheaper option. If paying a workshop to do the job then its probably more cost effective to fit a new cooler / filter housing due to the time it takes to disassemble the unit and clean off the old gaskets without even considering the cost of re-doing the work if either housing has cracked.

If getting a workshop to do the work then I'd urge you to insist that they fit Viton o-rings to the oil feed pipe. They probably would fit new o-rings anyway rather than replace the turbo oil feed pipe which doesn't appear to have changed part numbers since the original one fitted to my MY12 on which the o-rings hardened and leaked whereas Viton versions are likely to survive much better.

Post #577824 30th Dec 2020 9:24pm
Dave.N21

Im going to have a look and see how far i can go before ill call it quits. A quick glance and looks like ill need to remove the trimming below the wipers and might be able to see a bit more.

If I remove the gas struts for the hood will that allow me have it in service mode?

I've put some BS611 on order, but they are coming from UK to Australia and will take awhile. I couldn't find anything locally and otherwise it would of been cheaper also.

I've got quotes from my Land Rover parts and the gaskets for the oiler were quoted roughly $16 AUD each.

The cooler assembly itself and mounting block was $1200 AUD. Always optimistic, unless Censored really hits the fan

Post #578062 2nd Jan 2021 9:15am
Dave.N21

So I have done it! Changed the O rings on the L494 4.4 SDV8

I got the Viton O rings and changed them on the turbo oil feed pipe. Pictures show the original vs victon.

I took another photo and when I looked at i had seen that there was oil all around the actual cooler it self, am I wrong to think that the leak is now from the oil cooler instead of the feed pipe??

I still went ahead to change it because it took me a while to get access to it.

I will upload a hyperlapse of me pulling the trims off etc.

This was done last month and now I still get the oil drip on driveway so I have got the cooler gaskets as I have confirmed that the L494 SDV8 have the same cooler and have the same part numbers for it all.

OIL COOLER GASKETS
LR077242
LR022903

After re reading page 6 to 9. I will attempt to do the gaskets my self, all I need to do differently from this is to remove the intake chamber and I should get access to the cooler.

The bolts holding the oil cooler are M6 x 50mm hex (HB1)

Part number for bolts is 4537592

Can you tell me which is the coolant pipe? So I can catch any spills before it happens. Just use your old picture and circle it for me.

Also does anyone know the rubber diameters for the intake pipe to chamber? Considering replacing them with silicone type.

I will update one how I go. Always optimistic, unless Censored really hits the fan

Post #586034 3rd Mar 2021 1:26pm
Jayk69

Yup your oil cooler looks like it is leaking.
i just did mine took me about 4 hrs to complete though i just swapped the whole thing out with a new one.
Water pipe is clear when you get to it but i am afraid you will be doing well to catch any of it!! just because of its location. you will loose a drop of oil too.
i have a really good clean up and sucked all remaining coolant and oil up. then cleaned as much as i could with degreaser. i did an oil change too as you will get a small amount of contamination. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #586039 3rd Mar 2021 2:20pm
mattgage

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Also watch out for perished O rings on the coolant pipe connectors. I did my oil cooler (it's doable with time and patience by an amateur) and reassembled in triumph, only to then see coolant dripping out. It was the pipe that connects near the right side of the oil cooler (as you face it from the bonnet) and the O ring had perished. After a change it was fine. I also changed the whole oil cooler unit - and spent a few hours cleaning out the manifold etc of oil crud.

Post #586062 3rd Mar 2021 5:14pm
Dave.N21

There are O rings on the coolant pipe??

I thought it was a barbed and clamp connection?

What did you replace it with? Part number and diameter or the O rings so I can have it ready.

With cleaning it, can I just spray degreaser straight onto the engine block after I take off the oil cooler and gasket?

Like above.

Shouldn't that bad if I get some spray inside the inlet and outlet

Just confirm about the oil cooler, so coolant goes in the oil cooler and cools the oil as well as it being air cooled. The oil from engine is pumped up to the cooler via the inlet and then back out. The turbo is cooled also via oil going through the cooler. Where is the outlet for the coolant then if it is not the pipe at the right side? Always optimistic, unless Censored really hits the fan

Post #586113 3rd Mar 2021 9:40pm
Jayk69

that is only half stripped!!
the complete unit including the oil filter housing is required to come off as both gaskets normally fail.
the coolant hose is still connected The pipe with the push in clip 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #586125 3rd Mar 2021 10:24pm
mattgage

I recall the perished O ring being inside one of the coolant pipes on the right hand side. It's probably the black one that you have disconnected which is visible on the right of your picture. You could just see the coolant dripping from it once reconnected and running. I think I bought a new coolant pipe, pulled out the O ring and put it into the old existing one so I didn't have to disconnect it all. If I find out further details on what I purchased I'll post them up. Good luck.

Post #586126 3rd Mar 2021 10:24pm
Jayk69

try this thread for the complete procedure with pics

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48745-15.html 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #586127 3rd Mar 2021 10:25pm
mattgage

After some ferreting about I found some further info. (I did the oil cooler more than a year ago). I think the leaky O ring was inside the pipe that also cools the EGR. Part number LR022718. I just bought the part then took its O ring out so I didn't have to disconnect the existing one. This is the offending pipe, and the O ring inside was completely perished, so disconnecting it to do the oil cooler must have finally screwed it. I tried to find the O ring size and type but wasn't sure what it was made of and its exact size. £25 for the whole pipe assembly.

Click image to enlarge

Post #586130 3rd Mar 2021 10:39pm
mattgage

The old O ring.

PS I also replaced the whole oil cooler unit. Don't get any dirt in the cooler channels.

Post #586131 3rd Mar 2021 10:41pm
Dave.N21

mattgage wrote:
After some ferreting about I found some further info. (I did the oil cooler more than a year ago). I think the leaky O ring was inside the pipe that also cools the EGR. Part number LR022718. I just bought the part then took its O ring out so I didn't have to disconnect the existing one. This is the offending pipe, and the O ring inside was completely perished, so disconnecting it to do the oil cooler must have finally screwed it. I tried to find the O ring size and type but wasn't sure what it was made of and its exact size. £25 for the whole pipe assembly.

Click image to enlarge

Hey, did you consider removing the plastic connector and replacing it with an alternative? Barberd to hose and clamps so you won't need o rings?

I have just went and done this on the L494 SDV8.

What a process it was, I did take off the whole oil cooler assembly as one piece and did manage to spill oil and coolant everywhere, possibly some coolant in the engine oil. My gasket to the engine block was flattened and you could tell the score marks where oil has leaked from over time. Have replaced both gaskets and only time will tell if its leaking as there's possibly some oil still sitting in the V section.

Always optimistic, unless Censored really hits the fan

Post #588858 25th Mar 2021 1:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 29 of 36 <123 ... 282930 ... 343536>