Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 Oil Leak Fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 34 of 36 <123 ... 33 343536>
Print this entire topic · 
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

If it's from the front of the engine then check the oil pump seals. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #664708 22nd May 2023 5:21pm
Smoggie35

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I’ll check again but the very front of the engine seems completely dry. No evidence of any leaks.
That’s what’s so frustrating. I’ve cleaned the drips away from the skid pan fixings bolts ( centre rear two) again today and they will have a small drip again tomorrow.

Post #664714 22nd May 2023 6:29pm
Pdevlin

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I think I have this common leak from the oil seals at the top rear of the engine. I am getting the burning oil smell particularly after couple of miles up a steepish climb and can see drops of oil on the exhaust.

I have tried to inspect down the back of the engine this morning with my borescope, but not completely sure what I am looking at in the attached images.

Can someone confirm from the (not great sorry) images that oil is in the area of the leaking oil seals.

Thanks

Paul.

Post #672140 28th Aug 2023 11:15am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

It looks to me that oil is coming from more than just the o-rings on that pipe fitting and therefore the oil cooler gaskets are leaking. However I found it easy enough to change just the o-rings initially anyway.

Post #672144 28th Aug 2023 11:29am
Smoggie35

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Agree with GreameS on this Paul. Clean up as best as possible around the pipe bolting area and bellow then replace the two seals(with viton!!). Run the car for a few days then re-inspect. You will still get the oil burning smell for a while. Don’t know where the hell the oil hides but it’s good and takes some burning off.
If you’re lucky, job done. If not then get the gaskets for the cooler and swap out those. This is what I had to do in the end. Not a hard job for someone good with their hands if you’re comfortable about it.

Mike

Post #672188 28th Aug 2023 6:10pm
Pdevlin

GraemeS Smoggie35, thanks for your replies I will order some o rings and start with that

Thanks
Paul.

Post #672189 28th Aug 2023 6:28pm
GraemeS

I've just had to change mine's o-rings again after 5 years due to oil leaking down both sides of the back of the engine. The old o-rings had flattened somewhat but I was concerned as to how easily the fitting was refitted, albeit with a film of grease. I'm thinking that the harder Duro 90 might be a better choice of compound to keep its shape better and therefore keep sealing for longer. BS611 in Viton 90 is generally available.
I couldn't see any oil in the bottom of the V around the oil cooler so hopefully only the o-rings this time.

Post #672659 4th Sep 2023 6:19am
Pdevlin

I changed mine with BS611 in Viton 90 last week. They needed a firm push even with a film of oil. Fingers crossed that was the source of the leak.
As others have posted there was noticeable difference in the old and new o rings.

Click image to enlarge

Post #672666 4th Sep 2023 8:48am
GraemeS

Excellent!

Post #672675 4th Sep 2023 10:37am
Garymcduff1

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Hi all, came across this forum whilst trying to research/locate an oil leak on my 2013 4.4 sdv8.i had the oil cooler gasket replaced back in December 2021 and all was well until about 6 months when an oil leak was noticed on a service. I got what seams to be an intermittent oil leak towards the front of the engine somewhere between the throttle body and drivers side valve cover, it can go days with no leak, then a slight leak and then lots dripping from everywhere under the drivers side of the engine, when it leaks it's also spray oil up onto the engine cover (lots of oil it's soaked) and the bonnet when cover removed. I've check all inlet pipes, egr, valve cover and anything else that can be tightened and tried looking for it whilst putting the car through different rev ranges but can't locate it. Not sure if it's related but when driving if I drive hard enough for the secondary turbo to kick in it blows a puff of blue smoke, but once the smoke has cleared i can continue to drive hard and no smoke. I don't think the oil leak is a turbo seal as the amount it's losing I'm sure the tailpipes would be constantly pumping out blue smoke so wondering if anyone has experienced this and have any ideas what's going on as I'm completely stumped now.

Post #672759 5th Sep 2023 7:56pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

The blue smoke from the secondary turbo is normal on this engine and unrelated.

Looking at the photos, the oil could be EGR related? Maybe the EGR gasket? 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672769 5th Sep 2023 10:25pm
Garymcduff1

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply garyrr, I have recently replaced the secondary turbo thinking turbo seals were cause of the smoke and now researching the secondary turbo oil drain modification to see if that helps. The turbo oil feeds are fed from the back of the oil cooler and around the back of the heads to the turbos so don't think that's the cause as the leak seams to in the V of the engine,is there a pcv valve on these engines that could be in need of replacement? I can find replacement for the petrol engines but not diesel.

Post #672770 5th Sep 2023 10:37pm
Garymcduff1

United Kingdom 

Sorry garyrr just seen you comment regarding the egr, I have resealed either end of the metal egr pipe thinking that could be the cause but still the same. Looks like I'll need to strip it down, clean and rebuild with all new gaskets and seals.

Post #672771 5th Sep 2023 10:42pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Here's the same section of my engine bay, in case it helps pinpoint something which may be amiss on yours. It's dusty, but then it has done 155,000 miles.

2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #672772 5th Sep 2023 10:46pm
Garymcduff1

United Kingdom 

Thanks garyrr, I'll get into mine on the weekend strip it down and hopefully find the problem, has anyone carried out the turbo oil drain modification?

Post #672773 5th Sep 2023 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 34 of 36 <123 ... 33 343536>