Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 12mph in the snow - what could possibly go wrong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

From my 2002 handbook...

Operation of the airbag SRS is dependant entirely on the rate at which the vehicles passenger compartment changes speed as a result of a collision.....

It follows, therefore, that significant superficial damage can occur without the airbags deploying or, conversely, that a relative small amount of structural damage may cause the airbags to be deployed.

So that seems to indicate it's down to how many G's you pull on impact, I've dropped off large boulders and jumped the rangie several times and none have gone off...

Better to be safe than sorry I suppose, glad no one was hurt and you will have it back soon.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #371988 12th Feb 2016 1:17pm
Ian c2

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

RRVSE wrote:
Cheers Jkay. I did feel like someone had been punching me in the stomach for around 4 days due to the seatbelt, couldn't believe how tight it was, assume it is to protect you from a roll-over or something.

Glad you're ok (apart from the sore stomach)

The seatbelts are a compromise between safety and comfort (hence the tensioner a going off) and are to hold you in place in all accidents not just rolls .
A 5-point harness will hold you n place much better , but driving to work drinking coffee and smoking would be a pain !!
I have 6-points in one of my cars , and it crushes the cigarettes in my top pocket Rolling Eyes
Smile

They are designed to go around your pelvis , not your stomach .
If I remember the figures right , Your hip bones can take around 6000lb and your stomach around 150 Shocked

They could have deformed during and accident , so they'll be totally replaced .

It's a bad situation for you obviously , but be glad the car safety did it its job .

Post #371994 12th Feb 2016 1:45pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Cheers Pete - it was the last thing I was expecting to happen. I suppose if they didn't trigger, the sudden jolt in some circumstances could cause people to hit their heads on the windows so it would have protected against that if it had happened. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #371995 12th Feb 2016 1:47pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Without wanting to appear too alarmist, it is (IMHO) always a good idea to have a sharp cutting implement (stanley or otherwise) to hand in the front cabin for when the seatbelt is unable to open. can be a life saver when fire is part of the accident or you are upside down and can't self-release.

I think Halfords may sell the safety cutter type thingy?

Just a thought. Thumbs Up

Post #371997 12th Feb 2016 2:00pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Wow. As a matter of interest what tyres were you using?

This is the sort of thing that puts me off driving Defenders, however iconic - the seatbelt bolt is just in the right place to hit my temple in the event of a driver side impact and of course no airbags. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #372000 12th Feb 2016 2:08pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I was just about to ask the tyre question too....

Having read this, I need to move my seatbelt cutter - it's in the door pocket, but sounds like thats a useless place to keep it as I wouldn't be able to reach it.

I arrived in La Plagne today in the snow - the roads were covered in compacted snow - I was certainly glad I had winter tyres on Thumbs Up

Post #372042 12th Feb 2016 7:13pm
Ian c2

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Fastened to the inside of the centerconsole , or underside of its lid is an ideal spot ..

Post #372051 12th Feb 2016 7:59pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

Wow - great story. It does make me question again the wisdom of having 22" wheels on my L405. Like you, my old L322 was on 19" wheels and was an absolute delight in snow. It seemed pretty invincible and I just don't have the same level of confidence in the L405, certainly in the 22" rubber. 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #372077 12th Feb 2016 8:54pm
RRVSE

@CS & Alistair - I am on the tyres that come standard with the 22" wheels - Continental 275/40 R22 CrossContact LX 108 Y - Range Rover version (there is a specific one for RR that is about £30 more than the normal one, all I can assume is that they have a strengthened tyre wall due to torque of the 4.4L but could be wrong).

@DolphinBoy - I was thinking that at the time, my other car has a cutter affixed to the central tunnel and a fire extinguisher Sad

@Ian - my story was a bit misleading, the belt was across my hips / lower stomach, but the sudden tensioner pull (I was already tensed up once I realised I was not going to get out of the slide) tightened on an already 'braced for impact' body.

@EDj - I will be wary in future when the roads aren't overly wide and will go to smaller wheels for my next one. Steve

Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #372114 13th Feb 2016 1:21am
RRVSE

Also now seems the side air bags slightly bent some metal retaining struts when they went off , so when the guy tried to fit the new airbags, he found the struts had bent sufficiently enough to prevent the new airbags being fitted, so had to order new metal struts. Must be one powerful charge when the airbags go off. Steve

Post #373109 19th Feb 2016 1:06pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

These have been on the market for many years:
http://www.lifehammer.com/features_instructions.html

Post #373119 19th Feb 2016 2:09pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

That's exactly what I have - but it's sitting in the door pocket - I had never thought about the seatbelt tensioning such that I wouldn't be able to reach it Embarassed

Post #373152 19th Feb 2016 5:40pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Is it me? but all this damage from hitting a kerb at less than 20mph I think is just ridiculous and I for one do not think this is right. I would be very worried going off road in the OPs RR cant be right.

Post #373264 20th Feb 2016 3:25pm
RRVSE

When I asked the accident repair guy to guess what speed I was doing to cause the damage, he said they had cars in that triggered as little as 10mph (not RRs) so wasn't surprised due to the weight of the cars basically. Also now seems the drivers seatbelt has 2 tensioner systems so another has been ordered as the 2nd tensioner wasn't with the belts that were ordered. The door card will also take a while apparently , it's a special order (I assumed they would have stores of these in the different leather options but seems not) and will have to be made. Steve

Post #373326 21st Feb 2016 12:19am
J4cko

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Barossa

Glad you're OK.

On the subject of tyres - the all season tyres JLR put on as standard are pretty rubbish in snow and on ice. I'm just over the Pennines from you and have put Michelin Alpin's on for the winter. The difference even on a cold wet road is staggering. Just back from a week in the Alps and was amazed by the number of struggling Landrover products of all shapes and sizes - all British and I'm guessing all on standard tyres.

I know it's a bit of extra cash up front but if you're keeping a RR for a while then it's the same cost in the end. I honestly couldn't recommend the change enough.

Hope all is well with it when it's back.

Cheers,

H

Post #373389 21st Feb 2016 3:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>