Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 12mph in the snow - what could possibly go wrong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

caymanblack wrote:
Is it me? but all this damage from hitting a kerb at less than 20mph I think is just ridiculous and I for one do not think this is right. I would be very worried going off road in the OPs RR cant be right.

Land Rover spent a stupid amount of money when airbags became the norm to ensure that they didn't go off when off road, unless you have actually had an accident... the controllers use inputs from all sorts of sensors to ensure they don't go off while you are off road.... mine has been well tested Whistle and not set one off yet....

Of course as with all things, that was a "yet" at the end of that sentence...!!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #373423 21st Feb 2016 7:06pm
EdJ

United Kingdom 

When you put winter tyres on your car, do you store the summer tyres yourself? And if the winter tyres are smaller size tyres, do you have to make any other adjustments? Presumably you pick different alloys as well? 2024 Range Rover P550e AB

Post #373439 21st Feb 2016 8:17pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I run the same size winter & summer tyres - store them myself and have them on another set of rims.

On my L322 I had a different style of wheel for the winter tyres. For the L405 I ended up buying another set of identical rims.

Some people argue that you should run smaller wheels - with correspondingly taller tyres - others that the tyres should be narrower. Whilst there are arguments for both these things, I'd rather still run the exact same size.

Post #373443 21st Feb 2016 8:23pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Just on the question of storage - if you just have no garage or other storage facility, having tyres indoors involves putting up with an unpleasant smell and I have heard suggestions that there are carcinogenic compounds involved. In those circumstances I would look for a dealer or someone else to store the spare tyres for me. I think BMW have a scheme where if the dealer sells you winter tyres they also store the ones you are not using. I am not aware of LR dealers offering that service.

I have a spare set of wheels, 19" for winter, the car came with 20" wheels which I use in summer, on my old car I just swapped the tyres over as it had 19" wheels which would take the Goodyear MT/Rs or Duratracs I use in winter. No adjustment required, the wheels are LR wheels and the tyres LR homologated. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #373462 21st Feb 2016 8:54pm
Alistair

I'm fortunate to have the space - but I wouldn't want them stored inside the house.

I think ATS - and maybe others - offer a storage facility - presumably you're expected to buy the tyres from them in the first place.....

Post #373474 21st Feb 2016 9:43pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

Cheers H. I'd have to buy a full set of 20 or 21" (they don't do 22") wheels to put them on and I basically have no where to store 5 wheels & tyres when not in use, unless of course I change my garden shed for a larger more secure one. Have to say, at present , my plan is to run this one for another year or so then change it and make sure next one has 20/21" wheels. Never had any issue with the standard tyres on my old L322 in any weather conditions (they were Michelin Latitudes and then IOTAs) and the current car in the wet is fine , just doesn't seem to like ice under snow Sad Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #373699 23rd Feb 2016 12:48pm
Alistair

Quote:
I'd have to buy a full set of 20 or 21" (they don't do 22")

Continental do Winter 22's- that's what I have Thumbs Up

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic34831.html

Post #373700 23rd Feb 2016 12:55pm
RRVSE

Thanks Alistair, I had forgotten about that thread. Thinking of getting my 2 damaged wheels back as spares (if they can be repaired) and then I could get winters for these (if I sort a 2nd shed out for the garden, or 1 bigger more secure one) as long as I could source another pair of 22"s to have a full (excl spare wheel) 2nd set. Steve

Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #373926 24th Feb 2016 5:08pm
Alistair

Thumbs Up

I thought about your airbags some more - and I guess it makes sense that they went off

If you were parked at a junction & a truck ploughed into the side or you - you'd expect the side airbags to go off - which is a very different movement than driving off road - or anything including forward motion.

It seems reasonable that the side airbags could be triggered sole by a lateral shock irrespective of forward speed.

Post #373939 24th Feb 2016 5:31pm
RRVSE

Yes, it's just that it seemed so mild, I wasn't even rocked that hard laterally (one of the lads was holding a box full of Chinese takeaway - didn't even remotely get close to dropping it). Ah well , at least I know what an airbag sounds like now Smile Steve

Post #373951 24th Feb 2016 6:09pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Alistair wrote:
Quote:
I'd have to buy a full set of 20 or 21" (they don't do 22")

Continental do Winter 22's- that's what I have Thumbs Up

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic34831.html

+1 - problem is: we had NO snow at all..... Big Cry All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #373966 24th Feb 2016 7:24pm
Alistair

Rolling with laughter I had to take mine to the Alps to find some

We haven't even had that many freeing mornings this year.

Post #373995 24th Feb 2016 9:25pm
RRVSE

We actually had a flurry of snow for about 5mins on Wed afternoon, luckily, it was sunny so it disappeared as it landed . There was a possibility that I would have been getting my car back that afternoon aswell so I was then thinking, is this fate mocking me in that I would have to bring it home in the snow again - although if this had been the case, I would have taken the corner at 5mph this time around instead to be safe!! Steve

Post #374042 25th Feb 2016 1:18am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Steve, I’m glad no-one was hurt sir...
But, in some ways I’m supprised the insurance company are repairing the car!!! A lot of insurance companies won’t entertain changing airbags/pre-tensioners/etc etc as they cannot be 100% sure other components have NOT been unduly stressed!

In the last 10yrs or so 3 customers have done similar with their cars (ok one involved another car on a roundabout) but all VERY low speed and all icy weather, kerb’s and airbag deployment & NO apparent body damage BUT all were written off because the insurance wouldn’t take the risk IMHO... (i bought one of them! Very Happy )

Simple case in point Steve. You mentioned above, you wonder why the webbing part of the seatbelt was changed? How can you be sure what damage has been caused to that part when the pre-tensioner deployed? Stretching the webbing or breaking fibre’s...

In this modern society where blame & claim go hand in hand! Rolling Eyes

Post #374066 25th Feb 2016 10:24am
RRVSE

Hi Craig. I assume it's just economics, it would be easier for the insurance company to replace every conceivable part relating to the cars safety systems than pay me out as a write off . Guessing the cars you refer to were L322s and if I still had my old one at this stage, it would have been a write off as the replacement parts would easily be over 80% (if not all) of its value. Steve

Post #374122 25th Feb 2016 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>