Home > Technical (L322) > Debutante with questions about iPhone/iPod
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Greg66

2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black
Debutante with questions about iPhone/iPod

Greetings! Newbie here.

I'm considering an 07 FFRR to replace my now ageing A8. I've upgraded the Sat Nav in that to give me bluetooth for the iPhone and to take SD cards, so c 1000 tracks.

From what I can make out, iPod integration in the RR is a bit rudimentary. I assume the iPhone will operate handsfree as a phone over bluetooth - correct? Can I access my phone's contacts list from the car, or the steering wheel though? Can I voice control an iPhone?

As for accessing music, i've not seen anything that suggests that I could play music from an iPhone over the RR's ICE system via a Bluetooth connection. Correct? So i'm looking at hardwired connections for either the iPhone or an old iPod I have hanging around. How much control of the iPod do I get though? I've seen comments that I get the first five playlists subbed in as CDs 1-5. Correct? Can I scroll between them from the ICE system, or via the steering wheel? Can I get a better level of integration - such as having access to all the iPod functions from the ICE system?

And if I were to go for a Vogue SE and get the rear DVD player, where is that located physically, and what outputs does it connect to. I am wondering whether I could sub in a mini hard disc video player, which would give a library of 30+ films to choose from

TIA.

Post #35706 11th Nov 2010 1:10am
doublejay

I''ll kick it off, might neeed others to fill in :

1. Bluetooth phone / handsfree is pretty good although not the best. My old Blackberry connected 1st time everytime, somestime the iphone needs a nudge.

2. i understand a software update is available to share contacts. I don't have this right now on my MY05 - i used the iphone voice dial, - NOT the range voice dial - they dont link. An MY07 may or may not have this installed. Can be retro fitted by dealer at your cost.

Can't help you with the rear ICE I afraid.

JJ

Post #35738 11th Nov 2010 11:41am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

DVD player is a 6 disc multi-changer in the boot. LHS as you look in the boot, behind a panel that is easy to remove.

Not sure how easy it is to change out as it is all controlled by the touch screen at the front or a remote from the rear.

I have an 07 FFRR S/C and have an iphone that I link via a fly lead that was hard wired to the aux port. I put the iphone on a holder that sits in the cupholder and control it from there.

Post #35748 11th Nov 2010 12:22pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

I have a BMW based FFRR so I've played more with those - and I've heard and read conflicting reports about fitting the latest BT module to an earlier facelift RR and as to what a sw upgrade does with the contacts/voice control - sorry can't help there. I have full access to my contacts via the steering wheel buttons and voice control over the phone and nav (and full iPod control).

No A2DP in the RR. The only way to go AFAIK is the OEM LR ACK (how's that for acronyms? Laughing ). And yes, the ACK emulates a CD player. As for hardwiring, there are attractive options. This is a 2010 that I did for an acquaintance last year (ipod and charging):

Can't help with the DVD player either - I do know that almost all other components in the LR RSE use proprietary connectors and protocols. It would surprise me if a swap such as you suggest were easy to do.

Sorry - not a terribly informative post. But it does have a pretty picture. :D

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #35753 11th Nov 2010 1:05pm
Greg66

2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black

Thanks for this, everyone.

So to clear out the easy bits:

- phone functions over BT should be OK, including contacts uploads, albeit sometimes with a nudge.
- anything to do with the DVD player has come off my list. If it is controlled by the front touch screen, then I can't see it being remotely easy to fit a different player and retain control on the touchscreen. 6 discs will have to do.

Which leaves the ipod functionality of an iphone, or a separate ipod.

So what I've got so far is that I can connect either an iphone or an ipod for this purpose, as long as I get the LR ACK (audio connectivity kit? Aka ACM(odule)?) and then choose where to site it in the car for the neatest finish. What I don't quite get still though is the degree of control I'd get over (say) an ipod nano hooked up this way. Steve, you say you can get full iPod control through the steering wheel. I take this to mean navigate songs, artists, playlists, etc. But others seem to suggest that this solution gives access to 5 playlists as CDs 1-5, and all songs via CD6. Does not the CD6 amount to a huge playlist of everything on your ipod, with no means to navigate it (other than track forward & track back)?

Thanks again.

(As a PS, I can sometimes get A2DP working for music from my iPhone to the A8, but to be honest, it's not worth it. The connection drops a lot, and the sound quality is definitely inferior to an mp3 on an SD card, which itself is not as good as a CD from the boot).

Post #35767 11th Nov 2010 2:27pm
jez000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

If you have the Rear Seat Entertainment fitted it does have an AUX in port (only composite though) built into the back of the center arm rest, you could plug a video iPod or something similar to get additional video in. 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB
Gone 2011 Bournville TDV8 VSE
Gone 2008 Black Canadian HSE LUX

Post #35797 11th Nov 2010 5:13pm
Avi

2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red

Greg66 wrote:

- phone functions over BT should be OK, including contacts uploads, albeit sometimes with a nudge.

Phone will work over BT, but contacts only if you have the later software or it has been dealer enabled. Hit and Miss, and you probably won't know until you get one whether it will work.

I believe Wiggs on here will supply a new BT module on an exchange basis for about £60 if your contacts don;t work. I'm just about to contact him about mine, as i'm fed up of trying to use the voice recognition to call people. It only seems to work when i'm at a standstill. Apologies if i've posted this on my phone and it contains strange spelling and punctuation.. i just can't be bothered to correct it Very Happy

Post #35798 11th Nov 2010 6:00pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Greg66 wrote:
Steve, you say you can get full iPod control through the steering wheel.

Yeah, but as I said, earlier (BMW) system. I have the Intravee which works quite well - except the display times in large categories are somewhat slow. So if I'm looking for the 'Red Hot Chilli Peppers' I scroll to artist 200 of 240 and then wait to see where I am when the artist name appears. Playlists and album tracks work just fine. Suppose you can't have everything. My iPhone gets mounted and charged as in the pic above. And cell reception is improved through use of the GSM antenna. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #35801 11th Nov 2010 6:48pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Greg66 wrote:

So what I've got so far is that I can connect either an iphone or an ipod for this purpose, as long as I get the LR ACK (audio connectivity kit? Aka ACM(odule)?) and then choose where to site it in the car for the neatest finish. What I don't quite get still though is the degree of control I'd get over (say) an ipod nano hooked up this way. Steve, you say you can get full iPod control through the steering wheel. I take this to mean navigate songs, artists, playlists, etc. But others seem to suggest that this solution gives access to 5 playlists as CDs 1-5, and all songs via CD6. Does not the CD6 amount to a huge playlist of everything on your ipod, with no means to navigate it (other than track forward & track back)?

There's no need to put it anywhere neat as the ipod will be blocked when its working with the ACM. All you get is the LR symbol on the screen, so the best place to leave it, is permanently on the glovebox out of sight. As it charges itself with the car, you can just leave it there and never worry ever...

5 playlists is correct, and cd6 will be a gigantic playlist.
The ACM just emulates a cd, so there's isn't any addicional funcionalities there. All you get is a CD with more tracks and the identification of the track. In adition you can control it like any other cd, you can use the voice commands to look up tracks and cd's, like '' cd4 track 5'', ''cdplay'' etc... The ACM module also comes with 2 other plugs, one usb por for a pen drive (similar functions, playlist cd1-5, all cd6) and another for RCA connectors, if you want to connect a turntable to the car.... Mr. Green Mr. Green

But CD6 can also be emulated as a single playlist, just take it out of the car, do a search on ipod, or block it for a single album/artist, etc...and voila, you will just listen to what you want.

In my opinion, it's not a perfect system but it beats a regular CD anytime. It's advantages clearly outweight the niggles.

Post #35867 12th Nov 2010 12:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1