Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > TDV8 EGR maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Hammer

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

proser wrote:
To be totally honest there is no need to clean them as they do not get blocked up like on other cars. I have a couple of EGRs in the garage and they have a light coating soot but nothing like I have seen on other vehicles.

If you are going to remove/replace then you can get the inlet manifold off with out having to disconnect the wiring to the injectors. you just need to move the manifold to the left (looking into engine bay) and then swing the right side out and then move it right and lift off.
For my first time, I was removing EGRs in and hour from starting.

Bloody awesome Mark, last time i stuffed around and tried, but could not remove the intake by maneuvering around, I will try your rubix cube method.

My intake is full of crap that needs a clean hopefully as you metioned the egrs arnt too bad.

Can anyone recommend what to soak the intake in and egrs if necessary (petrol diesel)

Paul

Post #374093 25th Feb 2016 1:37pm
Hammer

austeve01 wrote:
Hammer wrote:
I'm sure some smoke is normal, most diesels do, it seems the key is to clean it out from time to time otherwise it builds up and blows out all the build up in the exhaust when you put your foot down to overtake on the freeway. I've notice in the country; put your boot into it and clean it out and it stays clean for a while. Anything to do with fitting dpfs to the later? Also the Intercooler hoses are crap, I've had new ones last only a year, you may think they are ok but they are not. Fit silicon hoses. I had to take the manifold off and fitted new hoses when refitted and I noticed the improvement straight away but I didn't seem to have any leaks prior, pitty can't get silicon hoses for the 4 short pipes on top.

I'll give this a try. I agree with you re the intercooler hoses. Unfortunately for me on both occasions I was out in the sticks and local garages could only source parts from capital cities with a wait of up to two days! Phoned my workshop & they despatched genuine to me straight away. I have not found anyone local who stocks silicon which I would prefer.

Steve there's s product called emergency tape, could handy to have in the toolbox.

Paul

Post #374096 25th Feb 2016 2:02pm
proser

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Hammer wrote:
proser wrote:
To be totally honest there is no need to clean them as they do not get blocked up like on other cars. I have a couple of EGRs in the garage and they have a light coating soot but nothing like I have seen on other vehicles.

If you are going to remove/replace then you can get the inlet manifold off with out having to disconnect the wiring to the injectors. you just need to move the manifold to the left (looking into engine bay) and then swing the right side out and then move it right and lift off.

Bloody awesome Mark, last time i stuffed around and tried, but could not remove the intake by maneuvering around, I will try your rubix cube method.

My intake is full of crap that needs a clean hopefully as you metioned the egrs arnt too bad.

Can anyone recommend what to soak the intake in and egrs if necessary (petrol diesel)

Paul

Paul,

If you PM me your email address I will send over the WSM procedure in removing.

It indicates that the wiring is completely out of the way when it say to remove the intake manifold, but if you bring the wiring forward it covers the front 90 degree hoses (the sections sticking out left and right of this picture

But as I say if you lift the back up and then move it left and swing the right out, then move it right and a bit of a wiggle and the whole thing will lift away. It's just the size of it that makes it awkward Regards
Mark

2012 Westminster
GONE - 2007 Java Black FF Vogue, with Ivory interior

Post #374099 25th Feb 2016 2:23pm
austeve01

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Hammer wrote:
austeve01 wrote:
Hammer wrote:
I'm sure some smoke is normal, most diesels do, it seems the key is to clean it out from time to time otherwise it builds up and blows out all the build up in the exhaust when you put your foot down to overtake on the freeway. I've notice in the country; put your boot into it and clean it out and it stays clean for a while. Anything to do with fitting dpfs to the later? Also the Intercooler hoses are crap, I've had new ones last only a year, you may think they are ok but they are not. Fit silicon hoses. I had to take the manifold off and fitted new hoses when refitted and I noticed the improvement straight away but I didn't seem to have any leaks prior, pitty can't get silicon hoses for the 4 short pipes on top.

I'll give this a try. I agree with you re the intercooler hoses. Unfortunately for me on both occasions I was out in the sticks and local garages could only source parts from capital cities with a wait of up to two days! Phoned my workshop & they despatched genuine to me straight away. I have not found anyone local who stocks silicon which I would prefer.

Steve there's s product called emergency tape, could handy to have in the toolbox.

Thanks Paul. I did have some industrial tape I wrapped round the split but after about 10 mins of driving the heat in the hose turned the tape into a sticky mess and didn't seal the split. Needless to say I've bought some better tape.

Paul

Post #374101 25th Feb 2016 2:36pm
Hammer

Thanks Steve,

Intake manifold off in 1 hour like you said
Cheers Paul

Post #374631 28th Feb 2016 6:11am
Chlorothalonil

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

proser wrote:
Hammer wrote:
proser wrote:

Paul

Paul,

If you PM me your email address I will send over the WSM procedure in removing.

It indicates that the wiring is completely out of the way when it say to remove the intake manifold, but if you bring the wiring forward it covers the front 90 degree hoses (the sections sticking out left and right of this picture

But as I say if you lift the back up and then move it left and swing the right out, then move it right and a bit of a wiggle and the whole thing will lift away. It's just the size of it that makes it awkward

Out of interest, what is the part in the red circle?

Post #563259 31st Jul 2020 10:13pm
leusfx

The air intake manifold has a variable intake valve (a.k.a Intake manifold plenum chamber runner control actuator) which allows the two sides of the manifolds to be connected/separated to balance the airflow.

Post #563533 4th Aug 2020 11:28am
Chlorothalonil

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Thanks, useful. When I have pressurised the small hose from the air box it sounds as though air is either rushing through that part, or leaking. I presume it is meant to be sealed. Will have to sort a smoke test I suppose.

Post #563582 4th Aug 2020 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12