Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > LPG > Moving LPG filler from towbar to bumper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Knightrider

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Moving LPG filler from towbar to bumper

Hi guys, new ffrr owner here, I bought a 2004 vogue a few weeks ago that already had a Romano LPG system fitted (fitted may 2013 by mint LPG).

I want to move the LPG filler from the rear tow bar to the side bumper - I wanted to get tips on moving the location and how I should go about it. I wanted to know if it's possible to disconnect the flexihose from the bayonet filler side without the whole tank emptying out?

The flexihose is long enough to feed to the side bumper so I'm thinking I just need to get a right angled filler and run the flexi behind the heat shield and connect back up?

Thanks in advance for any help, I've attached a photo of the current location.

Post #249936 22nd Mar 2014 10:57pm
cliffy

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

It is doable but it's not something I would wanna take on, with out a gas guy assisting my other halfs farther is a gas engineer boiler etc and he is always saying about joints leaking etc from relocations etc

Due to the condition of the connections again a leak detection agent should b used as these connections r in the elements all the time

Also I believe the filler point is different as ur need a cup like receiver to re locate

The tanks I've seen on BRC systems has a valve stopping gas coming back out via that pipe IE 1 way valve

Post #249941 22nd Mar 2014 11:22pm
mick-ne

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hi, The fitter who fitted that has no taste for sure Shocked . The connection between the filler and pipe is a dry joint just loosen and off it comes tighten and back it goes. The pipe will be full of gas you will lose but theres a one way valve in the tank, I personally find putting the filler in the bumper just as bad to look at. Mine is the smaller type filler mounted on the tow bar right under the bumper, still easy to fill but out of sight hope this helps.

Post #249948 23rd Mar 2014 12:45am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Right, YES you can undo the flexi hose without the whole tank emptying out, BUT you will get a gas escape from the small amount contained within the flexi pipe itself.

The filler on the actual tank has a non return valve so that's all good. Undo the nut on the back of the filler slowly until you hear a hiss. Leave it for 5 mins to allow the small amount of gas to escape. Undo the nut fully.

Then relocate the filler to where you want it. Note when you take it apart there will be a large boot on the back. Remove this and from the rear you will be able to see 4 x 8mm bolts. These are how it comes undone and splits into the 2 halves. The boot "might" have to come off before the gas pipe can be undone, depends on how it was assembled.

As Mr Haynes would say, refitting is a reversal of removal. When you re-connect the gas flexi filler hose you need to use some green gas paste on the threads. Plumbing merchants is your friend. Tighten as you would a radiator valve, i.e. nipped up and then 1/4 of a turn more.

Test for leaks with a mix of washing up liquid and water 20% 80% in that order, in a spray bottle like an old Mr Muscle bottle etc. Leaks will present as bubbles forming. You can't actually do this until AFTER you've filled up again as the flexi pipe is empty and gas doesn't leak back from the tank into the flexi pipe.

Hope this helps.

Post #249973 23rd Mar 2014 7:51am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

As they have both said above Thumbs Up One way valve in the tank so the contents cannot escape Thumbs Up

One quick question....... WHY? They look hideous in the bumper! Leave it alone where it is, at least its hidden there Thumbs Up

Post #249976 23rd Mar 2014 8:00am
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Had one in the bumper and got cracks in the plastic. The bumper is not strong enough to keep up with the force you need sometimes to get the filler in or out. I would not do it if I were you, but you are not me... so

Post #249984 23rd Mar 2014 8:39am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I too would be leaving that where it is. Looks much better than in the rear bumper.

I'd get a bit more shielding around the connections to protect it a bit more from dirt and stones etc, but that's just me. Like the armoured trunking you can feed wires down, what ends up looking like a shower hose.

Where do they tend to get fitted ? Is there a way you can tuck it out the way and flip it down for use somewhere ?

Last thing I'd want to do is drill a hole in my pride and joy, if it wasn't there already. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #249992 23rd Mar 2014 9:12am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Actually. come to think of it, the P38's used to have them fitted in the 12S towing socket location so it might be possible to fabricate a suitable bracket for where the towing electrics go which is up behind the bumper.

One advantage of having it near the middle of the car is that you can go either side of the pump. Just a thought.

Post #249997 23rd Mar 2014 10:32am
Knightrider

Hi thanks for the replies guys, some great tips and info. I want to remove the tow bar completely as it's no use to me (will sell the complete unit after I've removed it if anyone is interested).

I want to put it in the most discrete place possible - any ideas? I saw this pic below on autotrader and it seems about as discrete as possible?

Post #250033 23rd Mar 2014 3:49pm
cliffy

Mines here

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #250119 23rd Mar 2014 8:04pm
cliffy

This can b done but it's not recommend and a lot of installers don't like go threw the double skin

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #250122 23rd Mar 2014 8:08pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

I cant remember if it was a P39 or L322 ( think was a 322) but I have seen on the trader the RR had the LPG filler where the petrol filler behind the flap as well....yes a tad tight but can be done.

Just dont put it on the body work like I've seen on some, looks cheap Imo.

I too would leave well alone, if its not broke, dont fix it! Thumbs Up

But I'd give your tow hitch/bash plate a lick of paint Sniggering If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #250134 23rd Mar 2014 8:58pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

mine is on the top part of the side bumper. colour coded so not too bad to look at. with a cap etc. I remember reading on the lpg install rules, that a minimum height from ground is required, I think its 400mm. just in case some super lowriders out there try and tuck it underneath, and risk grazing it. the present position, seems ok height wise, but ring an installer for the best tips. its true it can break away and still only release a fart-full of gas in an accident etc, hence the need for the tank one way valve.
bear in mind, that a lot of weight is sometimes put on the fitting when the gas hose is trying to recoil etc, so maybe a sandwich plate of 3mm steel behind might boost the bumpers strength.
by mounting on the rear wing, you will definitely be risking body deformation etc.

Post #250183 24th Mar 2014 9:14am
steptoe

England 

My LPG filler is barely noticeable just behind the rear mudflap

Click image to enlarge

Post #250208 24th Mar 2014 12:42pm
Knightrider

Hi guys I'm interested in the option of welding a plate under the car to attach the LPG filler as an alternative to having on the bumper. Makes sense as will avoid cutting holes into the car, any tips on exactly where I should or shouldn't have the filler plate welded?

Post #250506 25th Mar 2014 5:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>