Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Fuel Burning Heater - Runs Cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SHC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
Fuel Burning Heater - Runs Cold

I have a 2003 RR Vogue TD6. It’s got a Fuel Burning Heater and the on-board computer allows me to run the heater directly or programme it to come on at a set time. When preset, the heater light (just next to the computer display illuminates). When the heater is due to come on the light flashes and the interior fan comes on (you can even hear it when stood next to the car). The problem is that it seems to just blow cold/unheated air around inside the car for 30 minutes (even when the outside temperature is nearly 0 degrees). The heating dials are set to 22-24 degrees.

Has anyone any ideas?

Post #2487 21st Jan 2009 4:57pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

How much fuel do you have ?

Post #2493 21st Jan 2009 5:14pm
SHC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

A full tank or at least 3/4.

ken wrote:
How much fuel do you have ?

Post #2495 21st Jan 2009 5:18pm
ken

Not that then

Post #2496 21st Jan 2009 5:18pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

perhaps its linked to your smell of fuel...

Post #2499 21st Jan 2009 6:02pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

could be wrong but there is a sensor inside and outside the vehicle that measures temp so it heats up acordingly if you have a duff sensor that could be your problem or check the fuses Thumbs Up onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #2502 21st Jan 2009 7:50pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Here's something you should consider (and I don't know if I am right or not) but I have a feeling the proper fuel burning heater was not standard when your car was made. I think that the timer only gets the fans going to ventilate the car on hot days for example.

I think the heater part of it was added in later years.

Ring your dealer and ask them if your VIN range had it or not, soon find out. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #2525 22nd Jan 2009 1:14pm
ken

RRUK wrote:
Here's something you should consider (and I don't know if I am right or not) but I have a feeling the proper fuel burning heater was not standard when your car was made. I think that the timer only gets the fans going to ventilate the car on hot days for example.

I think the heater part of it was added in later years.

Ring your dealer and ask them if your VIN range had it or not, soon find out.

You see thats why forum's are great you learn every day Thumbs Up

Post #2534 22nd Jan 2009 2:28pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

I copied this text from the RR L322 Workshop Manual:

A Fuel Burning Heater (FBH) system is installed as standard on Td6 models and as an option on V8 models. The FBH is a supplementary heater installed in the heater coolant circuit. The FBH can be operated without the engine running to pre-heat the passenger compartment and after the engine starts to reduce the heater coolant warm-up time. On Td6 models, the FBH also boosts the heater coolant temperature while the engine is running at low ambient air and engine coolant temperatures, to maintain heater performance at an acceptable level.

The system consists of a FBH unit, a FBH fuel pump and a changeover valve. On vehicles with the remote operation feature, the system also includes a FBH receiver and a remote handset. Fuel for the FBH system is taken from the vehicle fuel tank, through a line attached to the fuel tank's fuel pump unit, and supplied via the FBH fuel pump to the FBH unit. In the FBH unit, the fuel delivered by the FBH fuel pump is burned and the resultant heat output is used to heat the engine coolant. The changeover valve isolates the heater coolant
circuit from the engine coolant circuit

An ECU integrated into the FBH unit controls the operation of the FBH unit and the FBH fuel pump. The ATC ECU
controls the changeover valve. System operation is initiated by:

1.The instrument pack, via the ATC ECU, using I and K bus messages, for parked heating selections made on the Multi Information Display (MID) or Multi-Function Display (MFD)
2.The remote handset, via the TV antenna, TV amplifier and the FBH receiver, using radio and hardwired signals, for instant activation of parked heating
3.The ATC ECU, using K bus messages, for additional heating while the engine is running Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #2538 22nd Jan 2009 4:03pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Probably different systems, but we had a similar symptom on a Mercedes van and the fault was with the FBH water pump that had to be changed.

Post #2547 22nd Jan 2009 9:03pm
dark.soul999

Romania 

The FBH its located on the passenger side (below battery). When running a “fan/blower” noise its heard in this zone. If noise stop after few minutes (after activation), FBH its defective. Go to dealer workshop to investigate cause. Crying or Very sad

Post #2813 5th Feb 2009 1:03pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

When was this a standard fit then? I'd like to know if ours has it, although we won't know till the weekend when we pick it up

Post #3061 24th Feb 2009 2:35pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

use the vin number and ring a dealer, they should be able to tell you Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #3063 24th Feb 2009 3:21pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Just went out and had a play:

I found the timers in the OBC and set them to come on straight away - the little red light came on and the fans started blowing, but it seems like its only blowing cold air. I suspect it's a cold air blower for hot days (if there is such a thing) and not a heater- I may be wrong and hope I am. It says Aux Ventilation on the display, not heat. However, it states that the vehilce is equipped with FBH in the owners manual and it doesn't appear to be an option (no asterisk).

I can see good times ahead in the winter if it is a heater! I work shifts and coming out of work at 7am a couple of weeks ago, it was like an ice box in the BMW. I had to go outside and start the car up at about 6.45am.

Post #3237 2nd Mar 2009 1:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1