Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Front suspension clunk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

As I say the bushes wear out but the balljoints have little movement, unlike a steering arm, your control arm has the ball joint built in, the other ball joint in the hub is a pain to get out and I bet it will be fine, mine is after 14 years and 152,000 miles.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #402011 25th Aug 2016 11:08pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

OK I will go with control arms and endlinks for now. Thanks all.

Post #402012 25th Aug 2016 11:17pm
DM993tt

United States 2008 Range Rover Westminster 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

I just replaced front upper control arms the ones that start in the aft part of the bottom of the front fender liner. That stopped the clunk that occurred under quick hard braking. sort of a thunk you could feel in the steering wheel with a quick stab of the brakes.

The front low speed over bump rattle was cured by replacing drop links (from anti-roll bar down to A arm). The drop links is a quick & easy and cheap fix for that irritating front end rattle/clunking that you get at slower speeds going over bumps.

Post #402078 26th Aug 2016 2:01pm
doclees

Thanks. Yes drop links identified as primary/only source of clunk. Parts on the way. No clunk any other time but those slow rolling bumps like speed bumps. I'm still going to try to mount my video camera under there to document just what is happening. I'm sure what northernmonkeyjones says is correct and my control arms are on the way. I'd just like to find a way to visualize the ball joint or bush play while on the vehicle instead of after the part is off.
This brings me to the control arm bolt. RAVE says use new bolt. Are these torque angle bolts? Anyone reuse them?

Post #402104 26th Aug 2016 3:27pm
DM993tt

United States 2008 Range Rover Westminster 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

pretty sure you won't be able to "see" what is causing the noise on the drop links. Just make sure when you put the new ones on you use an 18mm spanner to hold the back side of the joint when you tighten the nut. There are 2 flat sides that fit an 18mm spanner just inside the little rubber boot. If you don't get those real tight you'll have the same clunk. Its a very simple fix to a very irritating noise. I had the car on a lift, but I'm pretty sure you can do it on the ground with the wheels on.

Post #402106 26th Aug 2016 3:40pm
doclees

Haylands wrote:
As I say the bushes wear out but the balljoints have little movement, unlike a steering arm, your control arm has the ball joint built in, the other ball joint in the hub is a pain to get out and I bet it will be fine, mine is after 14 years and 152,000 miles.... Thumbs Up

I'm beginning to see the what and why about these ball joint control arms. Just got mine today and out of the box I can't move the ball joint at all which is unlike any ball joint I have dealt with in the past.

Post #402277 28th Aug 2016 5:30am
doclees

Update:
Just got back from having the right side control arm, upper ball joint and endlink replaced. There does seem to be play in the old control arm ball joint when bent to its extreme but non of this changes my steering wheel shimmy at 65-70mph. Took just about 1 hour. Air chisel is very helpful. Will do the other side next week. The clunk seems to be gone but I need a nice slow speed bump to fully test that.

Post #406053 23rd Sep 2016 4:02pm
doclees

2nd update: All front endlinks, upper ball joints and lower control arm/arms done. Clunk ended with right side endlink replacement. Shimmy still their. Next going to have balance of tires checked. It wasn't a total waste to do all this premature. I did find the control arms bushings a bit dried out.

Post #407561 3rd Oct 2016 6:05pm
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Your query about re using the bolt on what you call the "Tie Rod" I reused the bolt and nut, it was in perfect shape.
The bush is referred to as castor adjustment bush, when you instal it you will see an arrow on the bush which needs to be lined up with a mark on the tie Rod, im guessing that this bush can be used as an adjustment if required.....only by installing a new one though, this bush is around 70mm diameter.
If you look at this bush you will notice its centre is only connected on two sides the bottom part of it relies on resting on the part the bolt passes through, the vulcanized part of the bush fails and caused more of a squeaking sound and a very slight thump on my FF.
Its actually pretty hard to see that it has failed.
Your issue sounds like wheel alignment. Did it just start all of a sudden or has it always been there.

Post #407616 3rd Oct 2016 10:44pm
doclees

It's not that I call it a tie rod. RAVE does.

Click image to enlarge

The bush in the tie rod looked very good on both sides. Very similar to BMW bush type.
Alignment was checked and rechecked. I hadn't done much highway driving until about 6 months after having new tires mounted and balanced. So it is possible they weren't balanced correctly or one lost a wheel weight. We will see.

Also the bolts for the tie rod and control arm are torque angle bolts that are meant to stretch so once used they are weaker if reused. It may be overkill but I feel better following this rule.

Post #407633 4th Oct 2016 1:09am
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Goodo,
Thanks for putting that up.
WOW 165nm thats pretty tight, I did mine up FT by it would not have been 165.
Im changing my front discs and pads soon I will torque the sucker up properly, if I can source a new bolt I will fit them.
It wasnt that tight when I took it out thats for sure.

Post #407636 4th Oct 2016 2:55am
doclees

Bolts are generally less than $10 us unless you go dealer. I would imagine as long as you don't plan on any real off road adventures the old bolts would be safe to reuse but don't torque angle then again. As we move into winter here in Pennsylvania pot holes get rather large and abrupt. I feel better with new bolts even if no one has heard of one breaking.

Post #407691 4th Oct 2016 2:34pm
doclees

So to sum it all up all ball joints were within serviceable limits. The bushing on the control arms were just starting to break down. The right sway bar end link was worn and caused the clunk. The upper ball joints were a pain to remove with an air chisel. I need to make a puller. As of now all ball joints and both end links are new. Front tires ballanced.

Clunk from end link. Shimmy at 65 to 75 MPH due to wheel balance.

Post #409583 17th Oct 2016 1:28am
doclees

Following up on this. As of this moment the following parts are new with between 0 and 10k: both inner track rods, both tie rods, both upper ball joints, both end links. I had just done both inner track rods because the alignment/mechanic garage said the right was worn and causing my clunk. They were obviously wrong. There is no play in the half shafts or the outer track rod ball joints.
This clunk is with bumpy roads going slow or speed bumps. That rocking roll of the front suspension brings it out. What is left to test?

Post #471517 7th Mar 2018 6:22pm
olliecat2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Apparently its well known that the Dunlop strut is known to fail in the top of the strut if it has been fitted as a replacement to the OEM. Mine does it, and unfortunately only cure is to replace whole strut.

Post #471527 7th Mar 2018 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>