Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Reverse camera repair / upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Reverse camera repair / upgrade

My reverse camera has developed the black screen of reversing death. TBH the sensors and mirrors are fine but it's annoying not to have it. I've read a few bits accross the www that kind of show replacement camera installs but I am going to have a bash at this, so has anyone actually done it with success? If yes what camera and how? I saw one in the wiki but for a numpty like me I need more help.... Rolling Eyes

Cheers folks Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #405966 22nd Sep 2016 11:49pm
themule

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Hi, there are a couple of threads here about it.
I am currently doing the same as you, here is what I found so far. The problem was caused by a poor connection either on the camera circuit board or between the wires and the camera. The solder gets very brittle with age/heat/cold and the whole thing gets repeated shocks when closing the tailgate. I ended up snapping one of the pins that are soldered to the camera board. I tried soldering it back on but it's so fiddly and you need a tiny soldering iron. The connection from the camera to the wires is via a little push on block which is very weak and a source of poor connection.

What I have decided to do based on another thread on here is buy a cheap reversing camera from eBay, take out the camera itself from its housing and swap it in (apparently it fits). It has 2 wires for power and 2 for the coax cable for the picture. I will solder the existing wires in the tailgate to the 4 wires from the new camera. Seal the whole thing with silicone sealant.
The camera cost about £7 delivered, but they all come from Hong Kong or China so take a couple of weeks to deliver. Whether it will work remains to be seen. I will write up when it arrives and I do the work.

The other thing I learned is that some of the YouTube videos recommend removing trim inside the tailgate so you can access wires. I tried that and the spring clips that held it in came out and fell inside the tailgate between the inner and outer skin and were a PITA to get out again, also the trim is very brittle and easy to snap - I won't risk it again unless i have to. You don't need to remove it, just remove the spoiler by undoing the 3 bolts from inside the tailgate and sliding it towards you. You can't completely remove it from the car but you can access the camera and wires - just means I will have to do the soldering in place rather than bringing inside.

Andy

Post #405984 23rd Sep 2016 9:04am
n1cktdv8

Andy - you're a star, Sir. I've had the rear spoiler off before and made that same mistake. Cost me a bag full of clips from LR but was a fiddle of a job to get it all back without it rattling.

Reading your text and the other threads it seems there is a good success rate but a lot of apprehension doing this. Not being an electrical techie I will be enlisting the skills of a mate who is, but would welcome the advice and process when you have a successful install Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #405986 23rd Sep 2016 9:09am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

I'm in the exact same boat. I'm so cack handed , I'd be left with a pile of ashes should I attempt this, the post 2010 cameras are way cheaper than he earlier ones so I'll just have to save more pennies!

Post #406000 23rd Sep 2016 10:29am
n1cktdv8

My view, albeit a bit 'gung-ho' is that I have no camera working now so anything is a bonus. On that basis I'm having a go ! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #406003 23rd Sep 2016 10:42am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

best of British old chap!! Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #406039 23rd Sep 2016 1:49pm
n1cktdv8

The boy done good Thumbs Up

Having read the other wiki and install info by far more skilled chaps I would only add something which appears to be missing from them....

Phono - RCA adaptor. On the Japachinkorean camera I obtained from 'that' well known website I paid £6.82 inc delivery and it arrived with power + yellow phono.

So for the simpleton's on here like me who are more have a go than discuss for ever, here goes;

1. Remove spoiler, via 3 bolts - do not remove fragile interior trim, you don't need too
2. Say yes to wifey for a nice cup of tea
3. Snip the leads on the new camera and solder the LR connections to them.
4. RCA - Phono connector, source via suitable outlet OR solder
5. Remove camera from housing and from spoiler, drill rivet out
6. Cup of tea number 2
7. My camera needed some adjustment, trimming and then shims to fit, test and mark camera 'top'....when nicely tight, back fill with silicone
8. drill out housing bracket to accept new cables and thread through spoiler
9. pop rivet housing back in spoiler
10. refit camera

Apply suitable smug grin and be chuffed that you've spent less than a tenner and 2 hours of time to save a lot of cash. It's maybe not the A* solution but it works fine for me, the output would kick the original LR product out the ball park Thumbs Up

If I can do it, you can too Mr. Green Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #407382 2nd Oct 2016 5:03pm
Kinch

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Are you still following this subject? Could you provide a link to the camera please? I tried this and the camera was slightly too large and I do not want to destroy my existing housing by drilling it out so that it will fit.

Did you take any pictures of how you wired this together?

Thanks

Post #408011 6th Oct 2016 9:24pm
n1cktdv8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141918317810?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

I used an NTSC camera. I stripped the housing using the instructions in the wiki, then removed the camera except the power and signal cable. I snipped them and soldered them.

The camera above only needs the bezel trimming. I used a steady hand and a sharp craft knife, I also removed the steel clips. When in position and rotated correctly I pumped the rear with silicone.

Trim the camera bezel, not the housing.

Also, I'm a civil engineer....not an electrical techie at all....and mine works, looks exactly factory look from the outside and the screen....well, you can tell it's a newer, better camera.

Best of luck Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #408013 6th Oct 2016 9:33pm
Kinch

Hey thanks pal. I'll give that a try. It looks a lot like the one I bought that doesn't fit. I may try the craft knife on the one I have now before I order this one. But for the price it's not a great risk.

Seriously though thanks.

Post #408026 6th Oct 2016 10:22pm
n1cktdv8

If you strip the camera as per the wiki, then get this camera you'll know what I mean and see the little bezel/lip that needs trimming...when in the original housing you cannot tell the difference. Its hard to explain, but will make sense...I guess the $10 ish price tag isn't the end of the world.

Inbox me if you need anything Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #408028 6th Oct 2016 10:25pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I fitted one of these to my earlier ffrr, as it replaces one of the numberplate lamps you just see the bumper, and if fitted, TOWBAR Bow down

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Reversing-Pa...SwzgRWzWha

It did require a bit of trimming to the numberplate lamp holder (on the car) but it's an easy job to fit, the only other thing that is required is an IID tool to knock off the LCM for the numberplate bulbs, while it does have an LED light, it's not canbus friendly, and will drive you nuts Evil or Very Mad The only problem that I had was getting the wiring through the top of the tailgate into the car, as the plugs are rather large. However on a later install for a friend I just cut the plugs off as it's hard wired to the TV module..... later cars wouldn't have this problem as the wiring is already at the top of the tailgate... so has the potential to be a easy upgrade for anyone who tows Thumbs Up

PS anyone wanting to have a go at this who is nearish.. I'm up for it Very Happy Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #408046 7th Oct 2016 1:09am
Kinch

n1cktdv8 wrote:
If you strip the camera as per the wiki, then get this camera you'll know what I mean and see the little bezel/lip that needs trimming...when in the original housing you cannot tell the difference. Its hard to explain, but will make sense...I guess the $10 ish price tag isn't the end of the world.

Inbox me if you need anything Thumbs Up

Okay here is what I have.

Post #408145 7th Oct 2016 4:22pm
Kinch

Post #408146 7th Oct 2016 4:25pm
Kinch

When I take the extra stuff off the camera, it still won't quite fit. Which part do I trim off? Should I put it on a grinder? Or should I order the other one from ebay, is it a bit smaller? Thanks.

Post #408147 7th Oct 2016 4:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>