Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2004 - 2006 Bi-Xenon Help Required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green
2004 - 2006 Bi-Xenon Help Required

As most of you know I have a 2004 that's had the face-lifted front end.

The 2004 Bi-Xenon Lights were removed.

2006 Xenon + Halogen lights were fitted.

I have just bought some 2006 Bi-Xenon + Adaptive lights, however the Xenon lens is not moving to the high beam position - it should tilt up-wards for main beam and down for dipped.

Wiring diagrams are very thin on the ground so it's difficult to verify that I have all the wires required. I appreciate the "adaptive" part wont work, so they wont swivel left/right but still thought they would dip etc.

1. Does anyone have the new shape front end withOUT adaptive lights?
2. Does anyone know whether the main/dipped control is separate to the adaptive function?
3. I would love comments from technically minded ppl on this, as to whether this is even possible or not!?

Thanks guys,

Dan 

Post #45450 10th Jan 2011 9:30pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Dan I'm no help BUT look up our new member mattstevens he has a front end conversion and has had a few light problems so may help. Try dropping Swast (Adam) a message as he's just done the conversion.
Hope it helps
Rob

Post #45456 10th Jan 2011 9:50pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I thought Matt bought the car with the Front end conversion. Still a really good shout. reading his posts he's definitely very very knowledgeable and much smarter than me!

Good recommendation, Rob. Thumbs Up

Post #45458 10th Jan 2011 10:06pm
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

Rob2529 wrote:
Dan I'm no help BUT look up our new member mattstevens he has a front end conversion and has had a few light problems so may help. Try dropping Swast (Adam) a message as he's just done the conversion.
Hope it helps
Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the recommendation!

I did have a problem with the new style headlights on my facelift conversion - my car has the 2007 Bi-Xenon NONE adaptive headlights fitted and the issue was that when the diagnostic cover (at the drivers knee) was in the up position (i.e. the cover was closed) it was causing the headlights to drain the cars battery, when the previous owner had the facelift done, who ever did the conversion wired the Bi-Xenon high beam position shutter to the permanent 12+ volts supply from the diagnostic socket so the shutter was permanently energised in the open position. When the weather gets a bit warmer i will re-wire my headlights so that the Bi-Xenon shutter only energises when the high beam switch it turned on until then i just leave the diagnostic cover down so it doesn't drain the battery. And in answer to your second question the main/dipped control is differently separate to the adaptive function.

If you PM me your email address i can email you a wiring diagram for a 2002-2006 conversion.

Matt

Matt

Post #45464 10th Jan 2011 10:46pm
dan_uk_1984

Thanks guys - PM's & texts flying all over the place, you're all a great bunch!

Will post back if I need further assistance Thumbs Up 

Post #45467 10th Jan 2011 11:01pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Dan, have you got photos of your previous 06MY headlights and your new ones?

From the lens side is the only difference the fitting of an extra halogen lamp in the sidelight pod?

I thought that the 06MY had three headlamp options - halogen, xenon and adaptive xenon?

Ignoring the halogens as irrelevant here, what you're in effect trying to do is go from 06MY xenon to 06MY adaptive xenon.

Both of the Xenon options have a halogen "fill in" bulb as the innermost lamp. There is only one Xenon bulb irrespective of whether it is adaptive or not. There is a shutter which changes the xenon between dip and main beam functions.

So, over and above the xenons you already had, the adaptives only add the cornering lamp (halogen) and the swivelly xenon function - no extra xenon bulb.

I don't think there's a difference between how the main beam is activated on non-adaptive and adaptive xenons, they both use shutters. Does the main beam halogen work?

Electrically, your adaptives should work as replacements for your non-adaptives, without any adaptive function - but goodness knows what position the lamps will be in. For the adaptive feature to work would require an Adaptive Lighting ECU, which sits on the high speed CAN bus and communicates to the motor control module in the lamp assemblies on a LIN bus. That plus an ignition feed and two extra grounds per lamp.

As the 04MY and 06MY headlamps have different connectors, your car must have had 06MY connectors fitted, or is there some kind of adapter harness?

So I wonder whether there are missing wires in the headlight connectors, something that doesn't make a difference for non-adaptives, but does for adaptives. Have you got a clear pic of the wide side of the connector that's there now so I can see if anything obvious is missing?

Post #45478 10th Jan 2011 11:37pm
dan_uk_1984

Thanks for that Martin,

There are Halogen, Xenon and Adaptive Bi-Xenon.

It's the Bi-Xenon bit I want.

Currently my Xenon bulb does not have a shutter in it, it is always dipped. So for main beam it just uses halogen. This gives a nasty yellow light on all the road signs etc. They were the cheapest lights the conversion company used.

I want dipped AND main to use the Xenon (Halogen is also used for main aswell)

As for the missing wires, the company that did the conversion left them out as they weren't needed for my poverty spec lights, not considering future upgrades, or the fact they've just ruined the night time drivability. Add that to the fact they didnt seal the plugs and all the terminals have corroded - not an A1 job, which for £1500+ I would expect! 

Post #45493 11th Jan 2011 12:27am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Your "old" lights are already Bi-Xenon - "Bi" doesn't refer to two xenon bulbs, but to the two functions of the (single) bulb (dip/main).

If you look at your new lights, they still only have a single xenon bulb Thumbs Up

As I said, pics would be handy Smile

Post #45494 11th Jan 2011 12:30am
dan_uk_1984

I know it doesnt mean two xenon bulbs... It means that the Xenon is used for both Dipped and Main.

But the lights that have been fitted to my car only have one mode of Xenon - Dipped. It does not have an internal shutter to deflect the beam for main.

So the only "extra" light you get with main beam comes from the centre Halogen. 

Post #45496 11th Jan 2011 12:43am
Josh Wyatt

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I understand what you mean Dan. I used to have a '55' TD6 Vogue, and main beam was Xenon and high beam was halogen. I did, however think that Bi-Xenon was only available from either late 2006 or early 2007.
Because Xenon headlights take too long to switch on - not as instant as halogen, there's not two Xe bulbs. The shutter blocks the light, so when high beam is selected the shutter moves to allow the light through.
Because Xenon headlights have dynamic beam levelling, I wonder if a fault code would be raised if the adaptive cornering function is inactive but the beam levelling isn't?

Post #45497 11th Jan 2011 12:57am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Ah ok... well that may be how they've been wired on your RR (so the shutter is inactive), however the non-adaptive xenons are fitted with a shutter on the xenon bulb which switches them between dip and main beam in addition to the halogen "fill in" bulb.

The shutter is only active when the xenon bulb is fired up - i.e. when the lights have been switched on either manually or by the auto lights.

What you've said suggests that you didn't have an active shutter before, and as you still don't this which points to a wiring issue unrelated to the headlight assemblies themselves.

Sounds to me that you're either missing the xenon shutter feed or missing the earth for the same, or both.

Post #45498 11th Jan 2011 12:58am
dan_uk_1984

Martin,

Before the conversion, my lights were Bi-Xenon, as per the Vogue spec the AB is based on.

There is NO Shutter inside my headlight, the headlight is NOT Bi-XENON.

If you look at Microcat you will see there is Halogen, Xenon and Bi-Xenon. I have Xenon only. There are also only enough connections in these headlamps for Indicators, Sidelights, Main Beam and Dipped. It is missing the pins that the shutter control signal would run.

These new lights I have have the shutter control pins, so now with the help of those above I can wire these into action. 

Post #45499 11th Jan 2011 1:08am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

OK, well evidently LR have the information regarding headlights wrong on the wiring diagrams and in the workshop manual.

Night.

Post #45500 11th Jan 2011 1:09am
dan_uk_1984

Martin wrote:
OK, well evidently LR have the information regarding headlights wrong on the wiring diagrams and in the workshop manual.

Night.

Evidently, either that or the whole of Microcat is wrong, and I have something in front of me that just doesnt exist! 

Post #45501 11th Jan 2011 1:11am
dan_uk_1984

Here's one of those lights that doesn't exist, note the "Xenon" in the title, not "Bi-Xenon" and that microcat has it as one of the cheapest xenon headlights available....

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=98281

This only has 9 pins too, which is only enough inputs for the bulbs, not enough for the shutter +&-. 

Post #45503 11th Jan 2011 1:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>