Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2010 Heated/Cooled Seat not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 26 <123 ... 121314 ... 242526>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I wouldn't get a replacement seat. Colour match / fade for one. You'll also be getting two used heat/cool units and they only last a finite period to better to just replace the unit(s).

Getting a secondhand seat and taking the units out might be a way to go. But I personally would only look at doing that from a passenger seat. Passenger typically seats get a lot less use.

Yes they communicate together in series as I understand.

But a fault with heating function in either unit means, despite error codes, you do need to replace the unit.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #534097 13th Nov 2019 4:53pm
LeeKelley

United States 2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Barolo Black

Quick question: is that B1232-7A mechanical failure code for the back or is it not specific to back or bottom?

Post #534098 13th Nov 2019 4:56pm
LeeKelley

United States 2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Barolo Black

More info... (I understand this is getting annoying, so I really appreciate the feedback!)

I sit in my car at idle.... I turn on seat back heat only... wait.... it doesn’t work, but never throws any codes. I try the passenger seat back to confirm that I know what heat is supposed to feel like... ah yes, that’s very nice and warm... I then click to engage the seat bottom on the driver side, and boom. Immediately throws the mechanical leak/failure code. I mean it takes a few seconds and spins up, but before it even does that it throws the code.

So... the seat back does NOT heat, but it never throws a code until you engage the seat bottom. Strange. I really really really don’t want to replace the seat bottom unit/foam/ducting! Please tell me there’s a chance that when I replace the seat back unit, all my troubles will go away and I’ll have a warm butt on my way to North Carolina next weekend. I beg of you.

Post #534101 13th Nov 2019 5:10pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Just had my heated driver's seat stop working, not got the time or weather at the moment to look into sorting the problem so as a temporary measure I've ordered a plug in heat pad, link below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-heated-seat...2749.l2649

Worth it to have a warm bum and back till I can get the bits sorted, will probably get both peltier units and new ducting for the seat base. No point trying to 'fix or fettle' the existing bits, just replace with new units then I know I'll be both toasty and cool as the need arises. Thumbs Up

Post #534131 13th Nov 2019 7:55pm
carmaniac37

United States 2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

GGDR wrote:
I wouldn't get a replacement seat. Colour match / fade for one. You'll also be getting two used heat/cool units and they only last a finite period to better to just replace the unit(s).

Getting a secondhand seat and taking the units out might be a way to go. But I personally would only look at doing that from a passenger seat. Passenger typically seats get a lot less use.

Yes they communicate together in series as I understand.

But a fault with heating function in either unit means, despite error codes, you do need to replace the unit.

Haven't done any more investigation into this but the symptoms are unchanged. Might be worth swapping back units first but I'm looking at replacement seats from lower mileage vehicles.

I've been using vindecoderz.com to try and determine the correct interior trim for a true match. The seat wear will be impossible to tell until its installed in the vehicle. On this topic though, does anyone have some insight on the feedback of interior color from a VIN decoder?

I have found two potential matches to my vehicle. When I run my own VIN, it returns an interior color of "Sand Ox Lthr Sts Jet/Sand Int (Jet Car)" Both of the potential replacements return this "Sand Lthr Seats Sand/Jet Interior"

Is the Oxford leather seat a different material, an option, in some way different, or just a labeling thing?

Appreciate any help. I'll update with the seat back swap once this freak November snow storm is over here in NY.

Post #534283 14th Nov 2019 11:21pm
carmaniac37

United States 2012 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

carmaniac37 wrote:
Appreciate any help. I'll update with the seat back swap once this freak November snow storm is over here in NY.

Finally did the seat back heater swap. Confirmed the problem. I guess my attempted repair wasn't good enough, these things are very fiddly. That being said, my repaired seat back heater always worked on back only but would fault out as soon as the base was turned on... interesting. Anyway, put the good one back in the driver seat because I deserve it and left the passenger empty. Ordering a replacement and we'll be in business.

Cheers

Post #537855 19th Dec 2019 4:02am
michaelpalmer7

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Rimini Red

I have been reading this thread with interest as the driver and passenger seats on my 2007 322 are not working properly (I suspect the back motors from reading).

I think I will do some testing and then just source new motors however I did just come across this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114223609466

Looks like someone in the US is selling replacement Peltier cells, part of me thinks that if the ducting goes brittle and cracks causing overheating that this could end up being a waste of money and I imagine a lot of time and stress Very Happy.

I wonder if anyone has come across this, maybe if the ducting could also be replaced with something more “off the shelf” There is a potential refurb option.

I also feel like I read somewhere that the parts in the Jaguar XJ are the same but a lot cheaper although I may have dreamt it, has anyone looked into that?

Thanks 2007 Range Rover L322 TDV8 Vogue SE (Rimini Red)

Post #565627 27th Aug 2020 9:39am
GGDR

the ebay option seems new to me, having done a lot of experimenting (see earlier pages) - I think you should give it a go. I have some some non-working units I was going to put on ebay btw.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #565655 27th Aug 2020 1:31pm
michaelpalmer7

I think I will have a go at removing the driver’s one at the weekend and see what it looks like with the ducting etc. 2007 Range Rover L322 TDV8 Vogue SE (Rimini Red)

Post #565660 27th Aug 2020 2:04pm
michaelpalmer7

So I have just taken a proper look at both the ventilated seats on my 2007 Vogue SE and this appears to be the status:

Drivers Seat
If I turn the dial to cooling both the back and lower blowers seem to come on and operate as normal (I think).
When I then switch the dial to heating there appeared to be a little life for a few seconds then nothing, after that even switching back to cooling left both blowers lifeless.

Passenger Seat
Cooling seems to work fine also on both motors but heating appears to do nothing. interestingly though when I then flick back to cooling they both start blowing again unlike the drivers side.

Would this indicate both back Peltier cells have gone?

This is as far as I got with the strip down, I'm hoping the back motor is fairly straightforward to remove although the lower half seems to be obscured. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Interestingly the part number on the Drivers side (L0084982) seems different to the one previously mentioned in the thread and seems to ring through as a part for a Jag XF, does that sound right?

2007 Range Rover L322 TDV8 Vogue SE (Rimini Red)

Post #565954 31st Aug 2020 10:43am
GGDR

Can't really comment regarding part umbers, only to say that 2007 is a good four years from 2011 so they might have updated within that time.

Getting the rest out should be easy from the seat back. Seat bases are another matter.

The cut off after a few seconds on heat setting you describe is typical of a peltier unit failure. Yes they tend to still cool but won't heat.

Once you get the unit out, inspect the ducting and repair with, well duct tape. Plug in and test. Sometimes (but not usually) a repaired ducting crack will come back to life.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #565957 31st Aug 2020 11:15am
michaelpalmer7

So having unhooked the white ribbons covering the blower and carefully pulling off the black plastic duct on the lower right which covers the filter and fan you can get access to the 3 TX20 screws that along with unplugging the connector and removing a couple of cable ties allowed the assembly to be carefully pulled out.

on the bench 4 x TX6 screws and removal of a couple of cable ties allowed me to seperate the duct and get the Peltier cell loose.

I plugged back into the car and tested again and the fan is running silently at different speeds so happy thats fine and just gave it a blast of compressed air and a hoover to clean it up.

Click image to enlarge

There is a slight crack in the duct albeit small which I have glued and will probably reinforce with some duct tape also upon reassembly to be 100% sure however the fact it was so small i'm pretty sure its the peltier cell at fault although I will reassemble with repaired duct first to be sure.

Visually it looks exactly the same as the one on eBay with the 2 green wires, 1 yellow & 1 blue but I am suspicious that my LR part number is different so I have sent some dimensions and pics to the seller to hopefully confirm it is the same.

If it is I will order one solder it in and post my findings, assuming it does work anyone that can use a soldering iron could easily tackle this and assuming there is a reliable source of the peltier cells it should be a nice easy refurb job.

Found the below guide on the jag forum which seems to explain the system operation very well:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachm...-seats.pdf

In all honesty if I have to pay £300 for a new assembly I'm not going to lose any sleep but I quite enjoy doing stuff like this and given that my fan was really clean hopefully it will be a lasting repair rather than a sticky plaster.[/url] 2007 Range Rover L322 TDV8 Vogue SE (Rimini Red)

Post #565979 31st Aug 2020 3:01pm
GGDR

Quote:
If it is I will order one solder it in and post my findings

please do Michael.

Have you seen my experiment using a Mustang peltier ?
Scroll on up to page 10 if you haven't.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #565991 31st Aug 2020 6:11pm
michaelpalmer7

I did see that yes. Good work!

I wonder if striping the mustang one and taking out The peltier would work in the LR assembly.

Re assembled with the repaired duct and no change so I’ve ordered a peltier. Long delivery but will see what happens. 2007 Range Rover L322 TDV8 Vogue SE (Rimini Red)

Post #565996 31st Aug 2020 6:45pm
GGDR

Hi Michael,

The Mustang unit IIRC was the same except for the housing, including wires / wire colour.

I did think it, both having Ford (supplier) origins, would work... but alas not.

I bit the bullet but there must be a solution out there and great you found a supplier.

When I did my experiment, there seemed nowhere to buy a replacement peltier.

Do they give any idea about compatibility?

. Cheers, Greg

Post #566013 31st Aug 2020 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 26 <123 ... 121314 ... 242526>