Home > General (L405) > Resale values
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Print this entire topic · 
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey
Resale values

Evening all

I've had my 4.4 SDV8 autobiography for 1 year now and i've only done 7k, with all the bad press about Derv i thought i would see what its worth. I contacted my dealer and they gave me a price of 62k this means I've lost 38k in a year surely this cant be right.
Anyone else looking to get out of a Diesel car.

Are we going to get hammered on tax for having a Euro 6 car and will they keep dropping like stones

Jay 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Last edited by JAYBOY on 29th Nov 2017 8:50pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #458938 29th Nov 2017 8:46pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Shocked

that loss is roughly a third of the original price , wow.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #458940 29th Nov 2017 8:50pm
JAYBOY

Yep, I paid 99k for it one year ago and 7000 miles Shocked Shocked 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #458941 29th Nov 2017 8:51pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Last of the 16 MY or first of the 17MY?

I suspect 17MY would be retailing mid £75k+ and the old duffer 16MY about £65k. Stealers want around £10k margin on a straight buy in so I'd suggest they are about right.
Talking to my local Bentley dealer they confirmed that Range Rover's have recently taken a big residual hit because A: There's loads around these days as LR have churned them out relentlessly and B: The facelift is due out imminently.
Lots of us are going to take a big bath I'm afraid unless you're in for the long run. I'm on my 4th in 4 years so maybe time to change tactics Whistle
I don't believe the Diesel is the issue here as Euro 6 cars aren't the one's being targeted. It's all the old crap chucking clouds of obnoxious fumes etc from their exhausts.

Post #458944 29th Nov 2017 9:17pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

If you look at the Pendragon (Stratstone) profit warning announcement on their website (or London Stock Exchange site) you will see that one of the things they plan to do to get back to better profitability is to rebase the cost of their second hand stock (i.e. pay less for it as it is too expensive and they are not getting it away as they would like). This will be partly about diesel, but also about the banks tightening up on motor finance under Bank of England pressure and buyer fatigue after many years of rising sales, plus in the case of the 405 the fact there is the MY18 facelift. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #458946 29th Nov 2017 9:26pm
JAYBOY

Andy

I think you're right. in for the long haul or get out now Confused 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #458948 29th Nov 2017 9:34pm
Fat Wolfie

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The OP got my interest piqued.

Just been on the configurator and built an AB 4.4, standard spec pretty much but added “normal” extras which took the car to £108k. A 2018 spec car of course.

But then at the end did a finance quote for it and after 12 months, and 10,000 miles it gave a balloon payment of £65,800 .

So it looks on the face of it that a loss of £38k in year 1 is pretty well aligned with JLR own view on likely value....

A bit scary as I’ve got a 2018 4.4 AB on order ...

Post #458949 29th Nov 2017 9:36pm
JAYBOY

It's very scary. I have a ballon of 40k after three years on mine, I've already lost 40k ish after a year so probably worth keeping it for anther 2 years and just giving it back, I cant lose any more on it.
It may only be worth 25k after 3 years but that will Landrover's problem.
I'm sure they gave me a guarantied 40k after 3 years but i will check in the morning.

They have found me another car but I won't commit unless they will give me 75K for mine on the part Ex. Looks like I'm staying in a not so popular 4.4 Diesel

You shouldn't lose 40k in a year on a prestigious brand as a Range rover.
Its down to all of these new so called Range Rovers (EWOKS ETC)
It damaging the Brand 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Last edited by JAYBOY on 29th Nov 2017 9:58pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #458951 29th Nov 2017 9:42pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

CS wrote:
If you look at the Pendragon (Stratstone) profit warning announcement on their website (or London Stock Exchange site) you will see that one of the things they plan to do to get back to better profitability is to rebase the cost of their second hand stock (i.e. pay less for it as it is too expensive and they are not getting it away as they would like). This will be partly about diesel, but also about the banks tightening up on motor finance under Bank of England pressure and buyer fatigue after many years of rising sales, plus in the case of the 405 the fact there is the MY18 facelift.

Interesting and thanks for the info.

Although this sounds like a plan, I'm sure that wanting to pay less for the used stock is absolutely nothing new.

With the drop in sales over the last 6 months and LR needing to keep the production lines moving, their dealers will come under ever greater pressure to shift new stock. If they have decided to pay less for trade ins, there will be that many people who simply can't, or don't wish to finance the difference and will either stay put, or be tempted away by another brand that will value their trade in higher. Certainly it'll screw up the dealer's chances of upgrading PCP plans early and ultimately, it could mean a lot of over valued stock dumped back on the finance companies at the end of those PCP's - that could create a lot of problems in relation to finance company's willingness to sign up new agreements and keep the whole ball rolling.

I can't see a workable solution ever being as simple as just telling the stock market that your going to "re-base the cost of their second-hand stock"!

Post #458954 29th Nov 2017 9:52pm
JAYBOY

I also cant see how Land Rover can over me 62k and be advertising the same cars on their web site for 75-87K.
Its just not right Evil or Very Mad

Especially when a lot of us have been very loyal to the brand for many many years.

It makes me Censored mad 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #458955 29th Nov 2017 10:05pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

JAYBOY wrote:
Andy

I think you're right. in for the long haul or get out now Confused

Amortise your depreciation over a 36 month period and it will be more palatable but get out early these days and you get severely short changed.
The days of 405's rock solid residual values are long gone and it's back to business as usual for RR depreciation. Maybe when the next new model arrives the cycle will start once again.
Not sure when the new model as opposed to a face lift would be due, what's the model cycle in tears these days?

Post #458956 29th Nov 2017 10:13pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Expensive car, lots of supply = depreciation.

Next one 2021 from the sound of it.

Post #458958 29th Nov 2017 10:19pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

JAYBOY wrote:
I also cant see how Land Rover can over me 62k and be advertising the same cars on their web site for 75-87K.
Its just not right Evil or Very Mad

Especially when a lot of us have been very loyal to the brand for many many years.

It makes me Censored mad

I sold my last 2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux to an independent trader; he offered me usefully more than the main dealer. If dealers are looking to buy cheap, it might be worth a try.

Post #458966 29th Nov 2017 11:26pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I do sympathise with you buying new and seemingly losing so much value but I think it’ll level out a lot better than you fear.

Personally I buy nearly new, rather than brand new when I’m buying expensive cars as the depreciation curve is at its most precipitous when brand new.

Yes the residuals were rock solid for 12 or 18 months from new and they are sliding a little now but that is exactly the way it always works with this type of car. Look at the new Discovery. For the past twelve months there has been no reason whatsoever, (save for getting in one and avoiding the wait) to buy a used car and it’s only now that prices are starting to get to a level where someone like me would even consider one second hand. Only a month or so ago these cars were selling for list price, when adjusted for available discount.

The only way to protect your money when buying big, expensive SUV’s is to buy something that doesn’t cost much in the first place but life is too short for that. Thumbs Up

Post #458969 29th Nov 2017 11:50pm
S33MAF

2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Baltic Blue

I recently purchased a 2014 3.0AB on PCP with a GFV of only £12k less than I paid for it over two years Thumbs Up This was with Alphera Finance rather than with LR finance which was a whopping loss of £20K over the same period.

£500 a month depreciation I can live with all day but £3,000 Jayboy, that is Censored mental.

I still get the same warranty just not that new car smell and pick of spec but with so many available the only thing I compromised on was privacy glass.

But if you can afford it then why the hell not buy new.

Post #458972 29th Nov 2017 11:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>