Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > First Service (and Ad Blue)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
GadgetBazza

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Fuji White
First Service (and Ad Blue)

Hi,

Picked up my first ever Range in mid september 17 from new.

At 4,200 miles the first Ad Blue warning came up (1500 miles). I topped up at 4,800 miles shortly after the warning dropped to 1,000 miles to go. Took about 9 litres of fluid.

Soon after this I started getting very brief and random service warnings when starting the car. By this I mean that during ignition or shortly afterwards sometimes I would see a message along the lines of “Service due in —- miles”. This flashed up far to quickly for it to be properly displayed.

Over the next number of uses it has come up intermittently, sometimes with a mileage value, sometimes with just 3 dashes instead of a mileage number.

The car has since come up with a spanner on startup saying service is due, but again it’s not consistent.

The car has 5,500 miles on it. The warnings started at around 5,000 miles. I wasn’t expecting a service at such low mileage and 6 months, that would be as bad as my Mitsubishi Evo service intervals!

Can anyone else shed any light on how long / miles to their first service?

Also is there anywhere in the menu’s that tells you what the service is calling for (like my BMW used to)?

Thanks

Post #476043 17th Apr 2018 12:00am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Should be at least double that - more like 15k or 12 months

There have been some threads about early service warnings, but down to some sort of faulty sensor - I’d call your dealer and express my displeasure and see where it goes - though the car will have to go in for them to check it.

Post #476047 17th Apr 2018 2:14am
ADI

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Fuji White

This will be an "oil service".

They will change the oil and filter and reset the counter to 16000 miles.

Main service is as Alistair says every 12months or 16000 miles.

With ignition on and engine off check the Service menu which will show you oil service miles and Ad Blue range.

Andrew BMW X3 30e XDrive M Sport
GoneBMW 330e
Gone MY2016 RR Vogue Fuji White SDV8 with a few extras...
Gone MY2016 Discovery Sport HSE

Post #476055 17th Apr 2018 8:00am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Is it possible that diesel is being dumped into the engine oil due to a diet of short runs from cold etc (also leading to higher AdBlue use) and that resulting deterioration of that oil is causing the car to tell you that it needs an oil change service? I'd be getting the dealer to check that. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #476059 17th Apr 2018 12:06pm
GadgetBazza

Thanks all, I will check the service menu later today.

What's people's usual AdBlue top up interval out of interest?

Post #476060 17th Apr 2018 12:10pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Only done 8k miles and not needed a top up yet - note to self I had better check the current position 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #476065 17th Apr 2018 1:02pm
GadgetBazza

Right, managed to find the service info menu now. Never tried looking without the engine turned on, and it doesn't show up when it's running!

So, looks like oil level is a bit low and that AdBlue is being consumed much quicker than any of you guys have mentioned which seems odd.

Also note the 2 screen shots where the car can't decide between 0 miles or --- miles before the next service. It keeps changing randomly in front of my eyes! Maybe this is why we're not consistently seeing the notification?

Will speak to the dealer and get it booked in.

Cheers

Post #476074 17th Apr 2018 2:53pm
GadgetBazza

OK, dealer says it's a known issue for my car once they took the registration. Apparently there is a software issue that mis-calculates the details that will fix this.

There are 2 other pending fixes for the car which they will deal with at the same time (didn't query them).

Also checked the oil level, they are happy that this is normal currently and said to ask them to re-check it when it goes in for these fixes.

So, hopefully just a little glitch that is easily solved.

Oh, and the AdBlue usage is fairly typical, he quotes approximately 500 miles per litre for town driving. I put 9 litres in which equals 4500 miles which is pretty much bang on what I experienced.

Cheers

Post #476077 17th Apr 2018 3:16pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Be very careful. These messages are usually triggered by oil dilution with diesel as a result of incomplete DPF regeneration cycles. Your car may be crying out for an early oil change (which is usually paid for by LR) as the oil may now be knackered Shocked

Software updates usually refer to revisions in the regeneration cycle program to limit dilution in future.

Post #476087 17th Apr 2018 7:42pm
ADI

Agree with CS and Red Merle re. the oil dilution. Very dependant on type of journeys.

The Ad Blue tank is 18 litres capacity so by your dealers reckoning that should have given you 9000 miles range.

I heard that for MY 17 vehicles the algorithm was changed that meant more Ad Blue was used than previous years.

Did the 9 litres you put in top it up full ?

Something not right......

GoneBMW 330e

Post #476099 17th Apr 2018 8:39pm
GadgetBazza

Thanks all,

Ok, so I need to push them a bit more on the oil front. All this Ad Blue and DPF recycling is new to me.

I had a DPF on my 535d (2007) and it's never complained or wanted for anything in over 10 years!

Thinking about the AdBlue top up, no it didn't fill over, I was told it took about 10 litres to fill up so I bought 10 ltrs and kept a litre back "just in case". But if you say the tank is 18 ltrs then I may well have only half filled it. Looking at the screen shot of the miles to DPF, if I put 9 litres in, that would give me from approx 4500 on the odo to 9000, and that kinda tally with the current odo + remaining DPF miles, but doesn't explain the early requirement to top up?

We don't do many long runs in the car to be honest, probably 20-30 minute journeys most of the time, along with some even shorter ones (taking the dog to the park is about 10 minutes each way). Equally it's not used for excessive miles, e.g. 5,500 in 7 months.

The service guy did refer to oil dilution algorithms as part of the software fix, but I think what you are saying is that potentially the oil has already been diluted with diesel? If this is the case, wouldn't this increase the oil level or does it get burnt off somehow?

And just to clarify, is there a potential fault with the DPF regeneration cycles or is it just a factor of shorter journeys? I don't consider our usage that un-typical for it to be so far out of whack? Also, when I purchased the car, the dealer mentioned that if we ever see a warning about DPF build up (or something along those lines) and that this suggests not enough long runs and to take it for a good blast if that ever comes up, but I've never seen anything to this effect?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Post #476119 18th Apr 2018 1:36am
Red Merle

Do bear in mind that the AdBlue and DPF are two completely separate systems on your car.

If your car has been used to a lot of short journeys, the car will have been trying to compensate by going through an “active regelation” cycle. If it’s stopped halfway through this cycle, it contaminates the oil with unburned diesel (that runs does the side of the bores and into the oil once the engine is switched off). Once the car registers a level of contamination beyond a certain threshold, it triggers an oil change message.

Unfortunately, the very stupid electric dipstick only registers “full”. If it starts filling up with diesel, any excess above “full” isn’t reported.

In answer to your other questions, there’s nothing wrong with the DPF, your short journeys are going to be difficult for a modern diesel and will require a fair bit of DPF regeneration, but your software may need a revision to limit the oil dilution.

To put the mileage into context, my own is 6 1/2 months old and is now showing 19,500 miles, having driven nearly 500 miles yesterday alone. Ideal conditions to avoid active regeneration Thumbs Up

Post #476121 18th Apr 2018 6:55am
ADI

Hi Red Merle

As a matter of interest what is your Ad Blue usage ?

GoneBMW 330e

Post #476129 18th Apr 2018 10:49am
Red Merle

Andrew,

Regular as clockwork, 10 litres will last for 4,000 miles (SDV8), which equates to around 9 x 10litre bottles a year!

John.

Post #476131 18th Apr 2018 12:56pm
ADI

Thanks

MY16 is getting about 700 - 750 miles to a litre on very short journeys.

They certainly have changed the algorithm.

More Ad Blue usage was also noticed on the Discovery Sport forums from MY17.

GoneBMW 330e

Post #476132 18th Apr 2018 1:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>