Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Gps can't find satellites
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MrP

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Gps can't find satellites

Got in the car today set the sat nav (maps all work) but then noticed there were no satellites found !

Ejected the disc and restarted the car but still not satellites.

Anyone got any ideas? "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

'61 Plate 5.0SC Autobiography - in Black ——— Gone
'53 plate 4.4V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey inside and out. ----- Gone

Post #49646 10th Feb 2011 10:01pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Pigeon Censored on the sensor? 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #49662 11th Feb 2011 12:02am
47p2

Scotland 

Duff antenna

Post #49663 11th Feb 2011 12:06am
MrP

Ok so I'mm guessing (hoping) its the ariel that is duff - just traced the cable out the back of the MK4 nav and it disappears into the rear pillar and then into the head lining - I don't have a shark fin antenna so where does it terminate? i.e. where's the gps ariel?

Also - anyone know how much they are and where I can get them?

thanks
simon "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #49691 11th Feb 2011 11:18am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

I think it's in the rear spoiler

Post #49696 11th Feb 2011 12:19pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

MrP wrote:
Ok so I'mm guessing (hoping) its the ariel that is duff - just traced the cable out the back of the MK4 nav and it disappears into the rear pillar and then into the head lining...

...and exits the headliner at the RH grommet/conduit going to the upper tailgate. Remove the spoiler and you'll immediately find the antenna - it's the little one on the RH side. The bigger one on the LH side is the GSM antenna.

Check all connectors in the antenna cable first - and then check ebay. Universal GPS antennas for BMW can be had new for GBP10, so you should be able to find one with the RR mounting plate inexpensively. Do not buy this item at the dealer unless you consider your dealer a worthy charity. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #49700 11th Feb 2011 12:53pm
MrP

thanks
found it in the spoiler - checked the connectors but still no Sat's - will get a new one off ebay and hopefully that will sort it. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #49708 11th Feb 2011 1:38pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Has your car been moved more than 60miles from the location where the fault was first noticed? Also if your car is parked close to a building or in a garage it won't pick-up satellite signals which are very weak. Generally, with satnavs if the unit has moved more than 50-60 miles from where it was switched off then it will take 20-30 minutes with a clear satellite horizon to acquire the satellites above the horizon and download the almanac / time data that the computer needs to calculate your location 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #49713 11th Feb 2011 2:03pm
MrP

It has been moved yes but this has happened a couple of times now - before it came back next time I started the car but not this time so looks like a failure rather than an lost acquiring satellites issue. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #49719 11th Feb 2011 2:51pm
47p2

Scotland 

I had this fault in one of my Mercs and thought it was the antenna. I purchased a new antenna and fitted it only to discover the fault was still there. Further investigation revealed the fault was in one of the circuit boards which cannot be bought separately, but speaking to a Sat-Nav dealer he had an old unit which he removed the circuit board from and sent it to me. Half an hours work stripping down the unit and replacing the faulty board and it's working perfectly now.

Post #49727 11th Feb 2011 3:54pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Has your car been moved more than 60miles from the location where the fault was first noticed? Also if your car is parked close to a building or in a garage it won't pick-up satellite signals which are very weak. Generally, with satnavs if the unit has moved more than 50-60 miles from where it was switched off then it will take 20-30 minutes with a clear satellite horizon to acquire the satellites above the horizon and download the almanac / time data that the computer needs to calculate your location

this is true on portable units like garmins etc, but the RR's sat nav starts acquiring as soon as you switch on the iginition......... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #49730 11th Feb 2011 3:59pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

On my old 4.4 petrol Rangie, it once went mad. Would only show a position on the map but would only go north and west. Eventually it showed me somewhere off the coast of Liverpool, presumably heading to the Isle of Man, when the car had never left the home counties. I think that needed a new antenna.

Post #49748 11th Feb 2011 5:13pm
MrP

I think the car heard me......tested it this morning, traced the antenna, checked all the connectors - nothing. Said 'thats it I'm getting a new antenna". This afternoon its working perfectly, new antenna on its way as well. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #49761 11th Feb 2011 6:43pm
Porridge

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Has your car been moved more than 60miles from the location where the fault was first noticed? Also if your car is parked close to a building or in a garage it won't pick-up satellite signals which are very weak. Generally, with satnavs if the unit has moved more than 50-60 miles from where it was switched off then it will take 20-30 minutes with a clear satellite horizon to acquire the satellites above the horizon and download the almanac / time data that the computer needs to calculate your location

Hey Tim.
Sounds like your knowledge is more advanced than mine. Wonder if you can point me in the right direction.

2007MY Vogue with touch screen. Little GPS Symbol with a line through it shows in the top LHS of screen.
Found a Denso Diagnostics manual http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/download/...0814a507fd which seems to imply that the GPS Antenna is seeing satelites, but the system isn't using the data (T or P).

RR Dealer (AKA unknowledable Censored with excessive price demands) haven't got a clue and no interest in finding the problem.

Ever come across this problem before?

Post #57785 31st Mar 2011 11:50am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Me? I know nothing, I'm a professional GPS user at work not a GPS Techie, if it doesn't work then my ship goes nowhere so the company gets a techie in PDQ as none of the monitoring systems will work without it. In car bespoke systems are somewhat more sophisticated than the professional use units as the good car units have clever connections to gearboxes and speedos as well as built-in compasses so when the signal is lost (eg going through tunnels or offroad under trees) they can still
give you a pretty accurate idea of where you are.

Have you checked all the connections at the computer unit? 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #57832 31st Mar 2011 1:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>