Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > what else will i need for sat nav fitting on no nav rr
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
what else will i need for sat nav fitting on no nav rr

hi i have a ffrr hse and it has the typical lcd problem on the stereo i was thinking of installing an aftermarket stereo with nav built in but have since been told that my stereo is needed to programe clocks and other things so ive decided to get a sat nav system and wanted to know exactly what i need apart from the screen and the dvd drive.......thanks in advance

p.s ive found a system from a 2006 rr and mine is a 2003 will this still work? Thumbs Up Crying or Very sad

Post #50229 15th Feb 2011 3:04am
JW911

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I'd be tempted to stick to plan A. I had an aftermarket Kenwood system fitted. It hooks up to the iPhone, has full functionality with the steering wheel buttons and I had the MID (trip computer controller) relocated from the dash to the glovebox where the CD changer used to live. Wasn't cheap unfortunately but I'm keeping the car so I thought "what the hell".

Check out this thread:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic2295.html?highlight=ice 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2007 3.6 TDV8 Vogue - gone!
2003 V8 HSE (LPG) - gone!
2018 F-Pace 25t Portfolio
1974 LR Series III Lightweight FFR
2014 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Post #50234 15th Feb 2011 9:22am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Or there is this thing, it's designed to look completely OEM, there was a really good post about it somewhere but I cant seem to find it. Perhaps someone could oblige.

It has the benefit of not looking like a fairground ride has been installed in your dash.

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catalog/bmw...m-247.html

Click image to enlarge

Personally though, I would sell the HSE and buy a Vogue with all the other toys too.

D 

Post #50239 15th Feb 2011 9:46am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

got to admit these after market chinese jobs aint that bad...i put one into my smax and although a bit clunky it did work pretty well... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #50240 15th Feb 2011 9:50am
pretlove

i brought my hse from the auction and some idiot had stuck a Vogue badge on the back so i just assumed it was a Vogue but other than the sat nav im very happy with the car it seems to have all the extrs apart from satnav and heated rear seats plus its a very clean version with low miles for its year and it is in my opinion the best colour (light silver) or at least its the colour i wanted .....if i decide to go the standerd range sat nav route do you know if ill need anything else like loom or extra modules to control it..............dan i like that lookalike stereo its very close to the origional in looks

Post #50244 15th Feb 2011 10:06am
pretlove

JW911 wrote:
I'd be tempted to stick to plan A. I had an aftermarket Kenwood system fitted. It hooks up to the iPhone, has full functionality with the steering wheel buttons and I had the MID (trip computer controller) relocated from the dash to the glovebox where the CD changer used to live. Wasn't cheap unfortunately but I'm keeping the car so I thought "what the hell".

Check out this thread:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic2295.html?highlight=ice

wow that looks good but if im onist i dont want to loose the multichanger Sad

Post #50245 15th Feb 2011 10:09am
dan_uk_1984

pretlove wrote:
i brought my hse from the auction and some idiot had stuck a Vogue badge on the back so i just assumed it was a Vogue but other than the sat nav im very happy with the car it seems to have all the extrs apart from satnav and heated rear seats plus its a very clean version with low miles for its year and it is in my opinion the best colour (light silver) or at least its the colour i wanted .....if i decide to go the standerd range sat nav route do you know if ill need anything else like loom or extra modules to control it..............dan i like that lookalike stereo its very close to the origional in looks

It has been discussed a few times before, mainly ending in the fact that the cost is prohibitivly expensive as it means entire interior out job (seats, dash, carpets etc).

I believe you would need:
New Radio Unit (the BM54 integrates a lot with the nav) Used: £300
Different Amp (I don't believe the low-line amp has nav input/output) Used: £300
Nav computer: Used Mk3 £200 Used Mk4 £350
Nav Screen: Used £300-£500
Antenna: Not sure, £100?
Associated wiring needed: £1K?

So a total install price of £2000-£2500 would not be far off. I imagine if you were really clever and bought smart and over time you could probably get that down to £1500. Maybe even 1K if you fudged some bits.

Either way, that's generally the diff between a Vogue and an HSE and there are a LOT of extra's you get in a vogue...

That being said - the copycat install as above is probably the closest to OEM you're going to get, thatand its designed to work with the limited HSE systems.

D 

Post #50248 15th Feb 2011 10:37am
pretlove

cheers mate looks like ill be going the aftermarket route what other extras does the Vogue have that mine wont have as i do seem to have a lot of buttons the only differance i can see is the nav and heated rear seats

p.s ive just removed the Vogue badge and fitted a hse one and i must say the Vogue badge did look as if it had been there since day one so maybe ive had a new tailgate

Post #50270 15th Feb 2011 1:14pm
dan_uk_1984

Completely different seats (13 way adjustable and much more comfortable)
12 way sound system with active sub and a DSP Amp vs 6 speaker.
Heated steering wheel.
TV
SatNav
Telephone (most Vogues)
Bi-Xenon Lights v Halogen
Leather dash top
Leather door pulls and cubby box lid
Front parking sensors (I think)
Sunroof
Diversity Radio
Different Alloys

Few other bits I'm sure I've missed, check the brochure for your year to be sure.

Most of the above could be ticked as an option on an HSE spec. 

Post #50275 15th Feb 2011 1:30pm
JW911

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver

By way of example, my HSE has Xenons, front parking sensors and a couple of other Vogue bits.

If you have a good HSE that you know well, I'd keep it and go "aftermarket". Mine has only had a couple of little niggles since I bought it (front diff aside) and now has 65000 miles as a nearly eight year old. Any doubts, get a Vogue but at this sort of age, I'd be looking at age/mileage/history as much as spec - especially as you won't get much for it as a part-ex. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2007 3.6 TDV8 Vogue - gone!
2003 V8 HSE (LPG) - gone!
2018 F-Pace 25t Portfolio
1974 LR Series III Lightweight FFR
2014 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Post #50281 15th Feb 2011 2:50pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

we do have some 'vogue vigilantes' here mate so dont worry to much..i'm in the same boat as you having a hse but with all the vogue bits except for the sunroof and the badge of course.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #50283 15th Feb 2011 2:57pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Hey Pret,
I posted this in Nick's MKIV thread a couple of days ago:
------------------------------------

pretlove wrote:
hi guys i hope someone can help ive just brought a hse and it has loads of extras but no nav and as with most of these stereos my lcd is playing up is there a way i can instal a sat nav system or maybe one of those aftermarket double din sat nav dvd cd players that are on fleebay...cheers guys sorry for the lack of knowledge its my first rr

Hi pretlove,
mate has an oem nav with a custom retrofit harness (not avail from LR) - gbp1400
PM if interested

The prob with aftermarket is that you still don't have all the i-Bus items (such as clock, on-board computer, etc.). I've retrofitted a nav to mine.
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic2737-45.html 2nd post down.
I took much more apart than you'd have to. With the retrofit harness, it's basically plug n play. The install requires removal of the upper dash, center console, left rear seat section, and trim between the LR door and the trunk area where th satnav mounts. It's actually not that bad to do: the better part of a day the first time and much less if you ever decide to do it again. Razz

Let me know if you're interested.

I'd def do it again. In the mean time I've fitted bluetooth, a phone cradle in the center console, and am still working on a fully integrated car pc. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #50327 15th Feb 2011 6:39pm
pretlove

JW911 wrote:
By way of example, my HSE has Xenons, front parking sensors and a couple of other Vogue bits.

If you have a good HSE that you know well, I'd keep it and go "aftermarket". Mine has only had a couple of little niggles since I bought it (front diff aside) and now has 65000 miles as a nearly eight year old. Any doubts, get a Vogue but at this sort of age, I'd be looking at age/mileage/history as much as spec - especially as you won't get much for it as a part-ex.

i agree i think ill keep the HSE as mine must have a lot of extras as i also have the Bi-Xenon Lights ,front and rear parking sensors plus its got the Vogue 20 inch alloys plus as with yours mine has only done 70,000 miles with full dealer service history with paperwork from universal studios to back it up and drives like a dream and as for the seats i cant see how they could be any more comfortable and the only bit that is not electric is the headrest im very pleased with the car just not the stereo due to the lcd issue......i appreciate the advice guys but i must say selling the car is not a route i wanna take as im very happy with the one i got

Post #50389 15th Feb 2011 11:34pm
pretlove

[quote="SteveMFr"]Hey Pret,
I posted this in Nick's MKIV thread a couple of days ago:

pretlove wrote:
hi guys i hope someone can help ive just brought a hse and it has loads of extras but no nav and as with most of these stereos my lcd is playing up is there a way i can instal a sat nav system or maybe one of those aftermarket double din sat nav dvd cd players that are on fleebay...cheers guys sorry for the lack of knowledge its my first rr

Hi pretlove,
mate has an oem nav with a custom retrofit harness (not avail from LR) - gbp1400
PM if interested

The prob with aftermarket is that you still don't have all the i-Bus items (such as clock, on-board computer, etc.). I've retrofitted a nav to mine.
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic2737-45.html 2nd post down.

thanks steve i may go this route ive been offered the dvd unit and the screen for £280 so will all i then need to get is a harness if so where can i just buy one of those thanks again
buy the way very intresting read thanks for the link im very mechanicaly minded as i had my own garrage for years and used to break cars as well so should be well within my skill set just not sure on the cost even at £1400 it may be i a bit high even though im sure its worth it

Post #50391 15th Feb 2011 11:37pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

1400 quid for landrover\bmw sat nav, my tom tom does a better job for 100quid.

Got a sat nav in my vw as thats crap too. 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #50400 16th Feb 2011 1:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>