Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Flip key conversion?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi, have you done this mod and did it worked as i thought the transponder was located with in the copper coil V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #53213 6th Mar 2011 8:00pm
oodathort

Yes done working the issue is if you leave the copper coil and 8 legged Ic in you will have issues as with your key transponder inserted you then have 2 and the BCM will not reconise

Post #53215 6th Mar 2011 8:09pm
daveo

so you are saying remove the 8 leg chip but leave the copperwound component attaced and this will charge the exsisting batt, sorry what year is your car
dave V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #53233 6th Mar 2011 10:22pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Davo,
I havent done this yet but having a read of the info Dan put up from the BMW forums the copper wound thing is the transponder for the diamond key. remove that or the car will get confused with the old and new transponder. the chip is for the charging so when the rechargeable bat is removed the chip needs removing.

Do we have to use the case designed for the dimond key? couldnt we just use any case with the 3 buttons in a line that will hold the circit board?

Post #53312 7th Mar 2011 2:24pm
oodathort

within the copper coil is a ferite and fiberglass slither this provides the core to the coil for battery charge a bit like the iron core of a transformer the IC is the transponder

Post #53374 7th Mar 2011 6:28pm
daveo

now this is getting confusing, the transponder is with in the copper coil, it does not need any type of power to work this part is correct.. the copper coil around the transponder is to charge the key, i think this is correct.
now oddathort is saying if you cut the 8 legs of the chip to the right and remove it it will allow the key to still charge but the transponder to stop working. this bit is what confuses me as it needs no power to work..
so before i start cutting the guts out of my key i want to get it right.. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #53375 7th Mar 2011 6:29pm
oodathort

say your car has a diamond key if you remove the 8 leg IC and put it in another key that key will start your car Proven

IC is !!! transponder

Read BMW E46 forum

Post #53377 7th Mar 2011 6:41pm
daveo

hi, ok if the IC/Chip is the transponder and removing it removes the transponder funtion when you use the board minus the chip in a remote with the correct key cut it will start it.... Question but would the new car you are using it on be looking for the transponder. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #53380 7th Mar 2011 6:50pm
oodathort

try this

Posted by StigsHero
My current best guess is that it's the 8-pin IC near the copper coil. (see Luckysnafu's pic above) Out of the four keys I've been inside, it's the only thing that has the same part number in each. However, below the part number is another number that is unique to each chip. Furthermore, one of the traces from the coil goes directly to it.

Good (ish) news! I was right! The bad news is that the information is useless to anyone who doesn't have spectacular soldering skills... Or in my case, is incredibly lucky.

So, I found my spare working key and tossed-back a Guiness to steady my hand before diving in... I started by removing the chip from one of the ebay keys for the experience before putting one of my working keys at risk. Once I had it off, I had this strange urge to test it out... Interestingly, the remote still worked normally in spite of the missing chip. Obviously, this was encouraging since the only functionality I wasn't testing was that of the immobilizer transponder. Forging ahead, I removed the same chip from my original, non-working remote and placed it on the ebay remote's board. Low and behold, it works perfectly!

I know, pictures would be nice but the wife seems to be keeping the camera at work an awful lot lately. I do, however, have a few thoughts on the process:

The pins on the chip are very close together. It's a surface mount device and would be best dealt with using specialized equipment. Still, I was able to do the entire job with a lousy 20W soldering iron and some desoldering braid.

The circuit traces are dying to come off of the board. You'll want to take incredible care to ensure that you don't tear them. The one on the lower left as shown in Lucky's picture doesn't actually connect to anything. It's just a pad that connects to nothing. As such, it'll almost certainly come loose from the board. Don't worry about it.

I can't fathom any reason anyone would try this with a working key, but I'll still say that I don't recommend it. There's just as much of a chance that you'll destroy your transponder as there is that you'll end up with a successful transplant.

A desoldering iron is useless... the typical ones are far too big for the area you'll be working in.

As with any semiconductor, the longer heat is applied to the pins, the greater the risk of damaging the chip. Solder each pin quickly and alternate sides to spread the heat load.

Thanks again to Lucky for his write-up and the inspiration to dive-in and give this a shot!

Done the same it works

Post #53383 7th Mar 2011 7:00pm
daveo

quick one..did you use the original transponder "small carbon chip a bit like a magenet" from you key in the new key.... V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #53389 7th Mar 2011 7:23pm
oodathort

Hi Daveo

Yes you have to as that bit is autonomus to your car as i said in earlier posts the only thing we are really discussing is the charging of the battery and if you use the same flip as i have who cares because you can change the battery

The whole mod i did took 30 mins thats all and im unsure yet if my battery will charge but thats the challenge

Post #53391 7th Mar 2011 7:30pm
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

i thought the battery charging feature was on the older bmw keys and not on the keys used in the 02-05 range rover

matt

Post #53402 7th Mar 2011 8:16pm
oodathort

read the above post to the end

Post #53403 7th Mar 2011 8:22pm
HUGI

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Java Black

I just had the same idea. But my car is a facelift (06)

I will have a IDS system for 2 weeks. (A friend is giving me his when he is in his vaccation)
He will borrow me also the IDS DVD v 122 6.06 LR+ JR Do I need other tools for programming a key?

Should I try it? Is there a chance that it will work? Very Happy

Post #53786 9th Mar 2011 8:23pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

mattstevenson2005 wrote:
i thought the battery charging feature was on the older bmw keys and not on the keys used in the 02-05 range rover

matt

The keys used in the 02-05 Range Rover ARE the old keys - Circa 1991. The newer BMW keys charge, but they weren't given to the RR.

Lets face it, BMW kept all of the good tech away from the RR. Thats why the 2002 RR had the mk3 nav and the X5 had the mk4 etc. 

Post #53789 9th Mar 2011 8:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>