Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > EGR Delete photos ( update +1300miles) more miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Andy,
I think 1 of the main benefits of blanking the exhaust end off is that if done, it doesn't matter if the egr valve head subsequently breaks up - which might still be possible as it is still operating all the time unless electronically mapped out. With the exhaust end blanked off, no bits can drop into the exhaust / turbo.

I fitted an egr delete to our 3.6 tdv8 a couple of days ago.
Although the egrs appeared to be working OK before the mod., the engine seems. quieter & smoother when idling immediately after a cold start. But no other differences. Time will tell if mpg changes.
Two side benefits of removing and re-fitting the pollen filter housing :
1 - I discovered that 1 of the rear straight inlet manifold hoses wasn't fitted properly & was leaking slightly &
2 - I discovered the bracket holding the AirCon charging connector was bent allowing it to contact the RHS metal engine shield. Straightening it has got rid of a vibration I used to have on hard acceleration.

All positive so far Laughing Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #511795 12th Apr 2019 9:45am
WB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

ur20v wrote:
A tip (and its in the thread on egr delete and the instructions with the kit) is to use a magnet on a stick pick up tool and do the bottom blanks first, that way you can’t drop anything into the egr ports, don’t worry to much, the egr valves will be shut and you can Hoover or use the magnet to clear the port if you did drop something, also the bottom blank plug, gasket and bolts are all held together by the gasket so can’t be dropped once on the magnet pickup stick.

Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll get a magnetic pick up tool ordered!

At the point of removal would you recommend undoing and removing the top bolts first then unscrewing but leaving attached to the gasket the bottom bolts then removing the entire assembly?

I think that's the only part I wasn't clear on but it may all be much more obvious when I'm standing in front of it.

Post #511823 12th Apr 2019 1:32pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Deleted

Last edited by ur20v on 4th Oct 2021 7:18am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #511827 12th Apr 2019 1:51pm
WB

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Thanks ur20v - got it! Thumbs Up

Post #511830 12th Apr 2019 2:53pm
Henda

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Went for mot today and passed with a smoke reading on 1 pass of 0.79

So still happy with the egr blanking Thumbs Up

Post #512132 15th Apr 2019 11:31am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Just a quick reminder for those who may be considering disabling their car's EGR valves:

"Although it is not illegal to remove the EGR from your vehicle, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of the EGR will almost invariably contravene these requirements.

The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle."

I'm surprised that anyone might disregard that, write up about it in a public forum, then even publish their registration number! Wink

Post #512144 15th Apr 2019 12:32pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Red Merle, your objections to the practice of deleting and blanking the egr's is noted. Unfortunately very few of us can afford the price of a year old euro 6 compliant RR. Further to that owners are simply trying to protect their engines from the destructive damage that egr's lead to.
The government's knee jerk reactions to the diesel pollution issue is bad enough if wasnt founded upon blatant lies.
Here are some further facts for all to digest.
1) There are over 5000 volcanic eruptions occuring across the planet at any one time. All but a few are under the oceans.
2) It has been estimated by scientist's that the eruption of Mt pinatubo in 1991 released more CO2 during its 2 weeks of activity than all manmade sources has ever released.
3) NOX gas is an inherently unstable compound and dissipates into harmless substances within 20 mins.
4) The planet has cycled between ice age and temperate conditions since the dawn of time. Warmed and cooled. Over an over. Its just the way it is.

The bottom line is that the motorist is the easy target. Other larger polluters get off paying any more. Shipping, airlines, power stations etc.
Who is going to charge all the volcano's then.

So, if Co2 is produced in much larger quantities naturally than Diesel owners contribute and the same is true for NOX gas, why then are they villified so readily. Simple answer because its a cash cow. Rant over 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #512157 15th Apr 2019 2:21pm
gj88

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Also, without getting dragged into again, it says it isn't illegal, but effectively becomes so if the car cannot meet the air quality emissions standards set for the vehicle. Henda's meets it, as does mine, I think at best you could argue it's a grey area, but I think that's being generous. As I believe I've said in another thread, my emissions dropped from one MOT to the next with the EGR removed, so I won't feel too guilty about the polar bears Whistle

Post #512166 15th Apr 2019 3:47pm
Henda

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

I am a bit confused I've passed well under the legal requirements of the new mot , so by blanking off the egr the vehicle runs cleaner and yet there's still people trying to frighten others by quoting the rules and regs which seems to me that its complying within the rules of said regulation
Is it me or what Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #512175 15th Apr 2019 6:36pm
ur20v

A Trap 

Deleted

Last edited by ur20v on 4th Oct 2021 7:19am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #512210 16th Apr 2019 6:48am
gj88

I'll point all the scientists who've dedicated their lives to this field over to your post, I'm sure they'll be grateful. Blimey, I don't suppose the earth is flat too is it?? Rolling with laughter

Post #512212 16th Apr 2019 7:04am
Joe90

England 

What, the earth isn't flat ? Laughing .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #512224 16th Apr 2019 8:24am
ur20v

A Trap 

Deleted

Last edited by ur20v on 4th Oct 2021 7:19am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #512230 16th Apr 2019 9:13am
gj88

It's amazing how the argument "follow the money" only ever works one way.

Remind me, who benefits from climate change being real? All those wind-farm magnates you're always hearing about? Or conversely is it more likely that gas & oil billionaires have an interest?

If you don't believe in 96% of experts in a field, can I suggest you maybe aren't as clued up as you think.

And to pick up a point above, science hasn't proved any such thing with relation to volcanoes, in fact most recent estimates suggest that volcanoes generate around 200million tons of CO2 per year, and "automotive and industrial activities" produce over 24 billion tons. Here's a useful article - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article...or-humans/

This stuff is how America ended up with Trump, people on the internet sure they know more about volcanoes and CO2 than US Geological Survey and the CO2 Analysis Centre.

Anyway, back to arguing about the EGR removal Rolling with laughter

Post #512232 16th Apr 2019 9:42am
gj88

Provide evidence. From something peer reviewed, not Breitbart or the Mail.

Don't suppose I can interest you in some magic beans? rolls eyes

ur20v wrote:
So you think money and politics are not heavily involved here... rolls eyes.

There are a lot of scientists who follow the funding or hounded for not having the populist views

Post #512233 16th Apr 2019 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 12 <123 ... 567 ... 101112>