Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > What speed motorway?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Post #496603 25th Nov 2018 5:09pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

near lee, you need to be careful, 12 points and youre out........... BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #496605 25th Nov 2018 5:31pm
AJGalaxy2012

Mr Glover, be careful dropping down M180, M18, A1 areas, they have the vans parked on bridges and they too operate zero tolerance. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #496606 25th Nov 2018 5:33pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I don't understand why, but I seem to drive the Supercharged RR slower than my previous Defender on motorways... Maybe because it's such a pleasant and comfortable place to be, wife can enjoy the TV, etc?!

I tend to set the adaptive cruise on 68mph, and just let it do it's thing.

Post #496610 25th Nov 2018 5:41pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

depends on your tyres Paul - if you have a GPS speedo app or on the IIDTool you'll see your true speed.
I set my cruise on 80 and my true speed is 73/74 running std size 255/50s

Your 68 might be different to mine though, you have 275/45 tyres if I recall.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #496613 25th Nov 2018 6:01pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

nearlee wrote:
North Wales operates a zero tolerance on speeding.
I've been booked 3 times, 2x 31mph in 30 zoned and a 51 in a 50 dual carriageway

Seriously?! That’s utterly insane Evil or Very Mad

It’s completely unreasonable and imbalanced to expect that degree of obsessive speedometer watching; I’d have been furious!

Post #496618 25th Nov 2018 6:21pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I actually find adaptive cruise is a positive as I used to find that, on a long journey, my speed would creep up. I think that one becomes inured to speed, so 70mph feels slower after doing it for an hour, 80mph feels more like 70mph. Then, after another hour, 90mph feels like 70mph.

With adaptive cruise, one can relax a bit more on checking the speedo and focus on the road ahead.

Post #496621 25th Nov 2018 6:39pm
nearlee

Wales 

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
near lee, you need to be careful, 12 points and youre out...........

No worries, I've done 2 speed cash machine courses and the points are clear on the other, in fact my licence is currently clean Mr. Green Remember:- amateurs built the ark
Proffesionals built the titanic

Post #496622 25th Nov 2018 6:48pm
nearlee

Wales 

Red Merle wrote:
nearlee wrote:
I've been booked 3 times, 2x 31mph in 30 zoned and a 51 in a 50 dual carriageway

Seriously?! That’s utterly insane Evil or Very Mad

It’s completely unreasonable and imbalanced to expect that degree of obsessive speedometer watching; I’d have been furious!

It is ridiculous I fully agree, even took the 51 to court, and still lost Big Cry Remember:- amateurs built the ark
Proffesionals built the titanic

Post #496623 25th Nov 2018 6:52pm
AJGalaxy2012

I spoke to a senior Police officer and he re iterated we could try court with the guidelines but we would lose and the penalties are worse. My Mrs was definitely not too happy and is currently still very anti police which is a shame really, far worse crimes than 2 mph over a limit and a lot of goodwill has now been destroyed. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #496632 25th Nov 2018 7:44pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

gonna_go_double_r wrote:
depends on your tyres Paul - if you have a GPS speedo app or on the IIDTool you'll see your true speed.
I set my cruise on 80 and my true speed is 73/74 running std size 255/50s

Your 68 might be different to mine though, you have 275/45 tyres if I recall.

Good point - one day I'll check with the IID, handheld GPS or GPS app! I've done some limited testing at least on those flashing speed signs that show actual speed in 20/30/40 zones, and they seem to very closely match what the car is saying, so up until now I've assumed I'm fairly accurate (and yes, well remembered, that is on 275/45's!).

Post #496646 25th Nov 2018 9:43pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

they really are cracking down nowadays, and the reason is to stop folks speeding.

I recently did a speed awareness course and the AA chaps doing it were actually quite good. they showed a vid with Tiffany dell on it stopping an SMax from speed. it was very imformative and made the point well that it was the differnetial in speed which is the issue not the overall stopping distance which is now obviously lower than it was 30 years ago......

I tend to do 70 - 75 on the motorway, on cruise and stick to the speed limits elsewhere. Ive currently got a clean license and have never had any points, been nicked three times, once when young in a mini for which I got banned for a fortnight, once on a stretch of unfamiliar road in Dorset (speed awareness course), and once near home on a stretch which used to be 40.....and I was chatting away at the time and forgot it wasn't any more...(SAC 2) There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #496649 25th Nov 2018 10:01pm
Norm

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Alaska White

Pleased I don't live in UK anymore, I was back on a visit in July and hated the driving there, couldn't wait to get back to Canada. Anyway, I think a lot of poeple are mistaken about the reasons drivers speed. If I speed mostly it's NOT because I want to get somewhere faster it's because I just find it more enjoyable at the higher speed!

Post #497340 2nd Dec 2018 4:04pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I think people are more aware if they drive faster....within reason obviously.

I also think if a spike came out of the steering wheel instead of an airbag, people would also pay more attention..... Whistle 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #497344 2nd Dec 2018 5:00pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

nearlee wrote:
I've been booked 3 times, 2x 31mph in 30 zoned and a 51 in a 50 dual carriage way.

Hasn't stopped me speeding though Whistle

North wales..... and the wretched mr Brunstrom, who was the chief constable there in the naughties . He was the man that pushed the speed cam agenda. He was the man who stated there is no such thing as an accident... that’s why an accident is now a murder scene and the road is closed for 24 hours. He wrote the book.

Tie that in with the dept of transport, who employed a managagment firm that came up with the slogan ‘speed kills’ little signs put up on all the lamp posts to start with, ended up with multimillion pound annual contracts..
Speed didn’t kill. However if a car was on a sharp bend on a cliff edge, in icy weather, in a force 12 gale ,with sun shining in the drivers eyes a tyre had blown, the driver had a heart attack, and was traveling at 31mph, then speed was considered to be the culprit. It took a huge effort to have the police reporting system to be changed.

The main culprit for accidents was inattention/distraction.

The thing that got me involved with this subject20 years ago, was the claim, speeding drivers were killing all these children...
Looking into it at the time , in most counties there was less than one child killed by a speeding motorist a year. Ok maybe less than one to many, but not worthy of a national advertising campaign- nor for govt councils sticking their thumbs on the back of all of our heads. Even of that less than one, almost none were walking, most were actually in a car, and a small percentage was the drives fault and even less were speeding...at the time I just considere it to be just nonsense. Emotive for sure, but still nonsense.

Charities such as Brake, had bereaved relatives on tv, crying about how the speeding motorists had killed their loved one and they needed a 30mph zone in their town , and ‘the driver was drunk as well!!!!!’ Speed was made the villain By the way the department of transport part funded brake in those days, to support the departments agenda... u what????

The whole speeding deal was a money making machine, even the ACCP couldnt keep their hands out of the till forming companies to provide advice...I’m not sure where the money for all those flats in london came from!!!

Anyway I spent to much of my life examining the wrongdoing of the authorities , trying to help where I could. There are one or three web sites worth looking at....

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/ Argues using facts not make believe ; regret the author Paul Smith died, a very clever man.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/. Used the law, going as far as the European court, with support from liberty/. Very useful if you have an unfair car parking ticket now a days. Assuming you think principles are worthy of time. Back in the day millions refunded to motorists for wrongful speeding tickets...en mass as well as individual.

http://www.abd.org.uk/ They campaigned hard. Made speed cams visable, not placed just before a national speed limit sign on exiting a village, in sight.

All these argue the facts about speeding, without claiming speeding is a good activity!

In those days, even the councils realised that speed humps would kill more people than speeding ever did. Ie the fumes from slowing down and starting up again. We now know the cost.

Best

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #497357 2nd Dec 2018 7:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>