Home > General > What speed motorway?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Bill

United Kingdom 
Re: What speed motorway?

gonna_go_double_r wrote:
Ok guys, what speed do you do once you hit the motorway (or any national speed limit D.C.W.)?

What about average speed cameras? Have they slowed you down? YES

I push as far into the "10% zone" as I dare. YES

But it's risky doing 77 no? (don't want to get ticketed with so many cameras). I DONT THINK SO.. OTHERS REPORTING TICKETS AT 1MPH OVER, BUT ARE PROBABLY UNSAFE TICKETS, THAT SAID I WATCH MY STEP IN NORTH WALES,NO LONGER WILLING TO FIGHT

Who's been ticketed at 80? NOPE

What about a blast to 'clear her throat'? When's safe? NEVER SAFE!!!! MENTIONED ELESWHERE, I DRIVE ALWAYS LOOKING A MILE AHEAD.

I have slowed down a lot , used to go everywhere at 100mph. The FFRR slowed me down , it’s just a comfy ride...

but after venting my spleen earlier thought I should answer the question posed. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #497359 2nd Dec 2018 8:04pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

Quote "My local constabulary tweets “speed kills”. "

Incorrect!!

“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
― Jeremy Clarkson

Post #497417 3rd Dec 2018 12:31pm
nambFFRR

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

AJGalaxy2012 wrote:
Lincolnshire has no such tolerance, the speed limit is exactly that, 1mph over and you get a ticket. My other half last year got 32mph ticket in a 30, did a speed awareness course. Not good for public perception of the police.

The police used to use our premises for surveilance, we left the heating on all night, left them tea / coffee etc, not any more now, my Mrs told them to get lost, oops, that all worked out well.

Don’t think this can be enforced as mot states a speedometer only needs to be accurate to 10% at 30mph hence why the 10% discretion is usually applied. The extra 2mph again is a guidance most police commissioners apply to their region. Only police cars have calibrated speedometers as far as I’m aware. If everyone stuck to the 10% abov ethe displayed speed, most people at 77mph would only be doing 73-74mph so well inside the 10% actual of 77mph. To push it to 10%+2 would also probably be safe as well. Remember the speed limit is a limit not a target....😉

Post #497426 3rd Dec 2018 1:38pm
Andy Cox

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Fuji White

To answer the question, I find 80 is a good comfortable speed on the motorway. The Fattie is in it's element and I think most modern cars will cruise effortlessly at that speed. I suspect the average motorway driver cruises in the indicated 75 - 80 range and therefore the differential is actually quite low at that speed.

I think your more likely to be involved in an accident on the motorway travelling at 60-65 mph due to the higher differential with most other drivers.

I have the factory fitted 19" wheels fitted and have noticed a big difference between the speedo reading and the speed over the ground from the GPS. I set the high speed alarm at 90 and on the rare occasions it gets triggered the speedo will be reading in the high ninty's, suggesting a 7 or 8 mph under reading of the speedo.

Andy

Post #497470 3rd Dec 2018 7:23pm
Richcl

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

70mph.
I like to relax, listen to my favourite tunes.

Post #497477 3rd Dec 2018 7:44pm
Andy Cox

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Fuji White

Sorry, speedo is over reading.........not under reading Thud

Post #497481 3rd Dec 2018 7:48pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

120 kph is the limit over here and i stick to that in the main. We are still lucky enough to be able to go a fair bit quicker if needed as we dont have draconian enforcement yet. Luckily my bikes always seem to have a digit wrong on number plates when i get them made Thumbs Up 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #497496 3rd Dec 2018 8:44pm
m@ttsFF

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

the great thing with the fattie is it lowers the suspension to let you know you’re at motorway speed Wink 4.4 AdBlu Tractor
4.2 SC - sold

Post #497507 3rd Dec 2018 9:37pm
HS66

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

dolph34 wrote:
120 kph is the limit over here and i stick to that in the main. We are still lucky enough to be able to go a fair bit quicker if needed as we dont have draconian enforcement yet. Luckily my bikes always seem to have a digit wrong on number plates when i get them made Thumbs Up

I find the screws and tail tidy in my Panigale are a terrible design, the vibrations from the engine are always making the screws come loose and the plate fall off.

Post #497992 9th Dec 2018 11:16am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

You two have terrible luck with your motorcycle number plates!

Post #497996 9th Dec 2018 12:03pm
dolph34

Its a cross we have to bear Red Merle !! 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #498000 9th Dec 2018 12:35pm
HS66

I know!, such a pain when it happens.
I had a 98 R1 a few years ago too, still regret selling it, one of the best bikes I’ve ever had.
Currently got the new Panigale V4 and loving it though, well on the rare occasions I get to ride it anyway Sad .

Post #498031 9th Dec 2018 4:57pm
dolph34

Im on a ferry from holyhead to dublin , riding my eldest sons latest purchase back ( he only has an A2 license), a ktm 990 smt , i had to drive through North wales , about 100 miles , saw 5 police cars and countless cameras , i dont know how you lads stick it. New Duc , looks a weapon 👍👍 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #498032 9th Dec 2018 5:03pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Dolph, we cant stick it any more..... Now where is my Gilet jaune? Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #498040 9th Dec 2018 6:29pm
HS66

I’d not say the whole country is as extreme as North Wales but yeah riding a bike is becoming less enjoyable here, best thing to do for me is go out early on Saturday or Sunday mornings and do track days.
I’ve not ridden a bike in Ireland, have driven there a few times but mostly fairly near Cork and Dublin, would be interested to hear of some nice roads to go on/ places to visit as might have a trip there next summer, once I’ve checked there is a week free of rain Razz .
The new Duc is pretty damn epic, way too much for the road if I’m being honest but such great fun, one thing I have to say though, my previous Aprilia sounded better.

Post #498041 9th Dec 2018 6:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123