Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Nice one cheers Thumbs Up

Post #499123 19th Dec 2018 10:28am
nubbin

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Nice one Kace - I found it here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mann-Filter-FP-19...amp;sr=1-3

Prime delivery on Friday. Good price too!

Post #499198 19th Dec 2018 6:47pm
Kace

United Kingdom 

I think euro car parts have 50% off. Worth comparing prices

Post #499203 19th Dec 2018 7:50pm
nubbin

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Fitted the new filter today - very obviously different to the standard filter, which does not have any charcoal embedded and feels a lot softer and flimsier. Only difficulty is getting the recirculation "cowl" to move to the right position, which required switching it in and out as the cowl seems to have a mind of it's own (and probably does). All I need now is some pollution for testing - there's never a '04 plate diesel Astra around when you want one is there? Laughing

Post #499427 22nd Dec 2018 2:42pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

can get the filter down to £25, eurocarparts code sale90 for 50% off Thumbs Up

Post #500834 7th Jan 2019 10:47am
ImEugene

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

So I had a problem with fumes in the cabin which was toxic. As it turns out I had a fuel leak from the fuel filter (which is another story about not going OEM for the filter… in short don’t do it) which was pretty much flowing into the cabin unless the HVAC is on re-circulate. Anyway after taking all the vents apart and checking seals without any success. As it turns out there is incompatibility between the hood seal and the plastics, specifically around the back of the fuel filer. So I fashioned a piece of rubber to complete the seal and boom no more fumes. I think this problem is a design fault that is probably exacerbated by rubber seal on the bonnet hardening. Anyway it stops the HVAC intake being in the engine bay.

Post #676574 27th Oct 2023 9:33am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Interesting, any photos of the area of concern?

Post #676606 27th Oct 2023 2:07pm
ImEugene

Whilst there is a small area on the other side I have used a small piece of rubber to fill, the main culprit is the circular indentation on the passenger side (LHS) where there is a misalignment with the bonnet rubber. You can see the circular indentation on the rubber as well as seal line on the plastic showing a gap. Whilst not the neatest fix the rubber pad I fashioned works perfectly and I now no longer have to smell the engine bay. Interested in your opinion but it is clear in my mind that it is a design fault.

Post #676680 27th Oct 2023 10:12pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Brilliant! I was wondering how I was getting engine fumes in the car, not diesel like yours but from a small oil leak onto the exhaust manifold.

I suppose it's one of those unintended consequences of having to cater for left hand & right hand drive options.

Post #676691 28th Oct 2023 6:23am
ImEugene

Yeah, it is probably likely to do with LHD/RHD but I with a better seal it has changed my driving experience a lot. Good luck with fixing your issue.

Post #676692 28th Oct 2023 6:37am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Did a bit of work on this today - firstly, I determined there is no oil leak (any more - the oil cooler, turbo oil feed & LH turbo oil drain all had previously been leaking...) the burning oil smell is just from residual in the insulation of the exhaust crossover pipe. I'm tempted to cut it away and wrap with some exhaust insulation tape.

Anyway, back to the problem above - I was going to cut some foam to fill the gap, looking at the seal, there is 'not much' of a gap and there should be enough slack/stretch in the seal to reposition it.

The seal is held on by lots of 'T' shaped clips, not listed for the L405 but they are for the L322 - BYC000010 The holes are drilled at 4.7mm dia. but they work perfectly in a 4.5mm dia. hole.

You can see where the seal crosses the edge of the trim (and engine bay fumes get up the back!)

Remove the trim clips with a trim fork, here you can see one of the two clips that broke still in the bonnet.

The next stage is to push back the seal to a position where it'll be in contact with the scuttle trim with no gap, I put a small dab of paint on the end of the clips to mark the position, then drilled a 4.5mm dia. hole - slowly. It's only aluminium and you don't want to go through both skins...
Push the fasteners into the hole after a dab of touch-up paint in the new hole has dried and you end up with this.

To test, I put a swipe of silicone grease on the contacting part of the seal, closed the bonnet, and got this.

As you can see, the seal is too far towards the windscreen on the left of the photo, I put the corresponding seal clips back in the original holes.

Much better.

Went for a test drive - still some fumes getting in but I'd say 60-80% better, the next stage is to replace the foam seals on the covers and leading edge of the scuttle trim.

Post #677252 4th Nov 2023 5:09pm
ImEugene

Great job, I did think of similar but went the rubber option. I might follow suit a much more elegant solution.

Post #677294 5th Nov 2023 6:34am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Thanks, I'm on the lookout for some small plastic plugs I can paint the tops of and pop in the holes, just for neatness.

Post #677301 5th Nov 2023 8:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12