Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 "design faults"?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
L405 "design faults"?

Just wondered what people think are the things that might have been thought out differently on their L405.

My starter is the remote upper tailgate that could easily get damaged if you park close to a wall, solid object or low roof and hit the boot opening button without thinking; and

The rear seat centre armrest which has a solid hard plastic opening handle across its width and digs into the head or back of anyone sitting in the rear middle seat (not a good design/ no idea how they thought anyone would not find this uncomfortable, unless they didn’t test it for comfort).

Last edited by pld118 on 25th Dec 2018 7:22pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #499640 25th Dec 2018 11:38am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I'm not sure the remote tailgate is any worse than the manual one - or doors that still open the full way when you park next to a low wall.....

The only things I don't like have been rectified on later models, I just can't justify the update yet. Things like the heated seats being on the centre screen so you're half way up the road before you're allowed to switch them on, Censored sat nav rather than airplay & Waze etc.

Post #499647 25th Dec 2018 5:34pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Terrible reversing lights. Alright to be seen by, but hopeless to see by when reversing in the dark.

Switches mounted horizontally on the flat centre console, which naturally get completely covered with “flat fungus” as soon as the family get into the car.

Appallingly badly designed roof rails / roof bar combination, which are difficult to use, impossible to adapt to different loads and the rails are seemingly made from silver painted cheese...

Still one of the best two cars that I’ve ever owned though Thumbs Up

Last edited by Red Merle on 25th Dec 2018 7:33pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #499651 25th Dec 2018 6:52pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

The vehicle needs a power tailgate disable function so that you can operate it manually if required. e.g. on the previous models you could just open the lower tailgate and keep the top closed so that you could stand on the lower tailgate with the top one closed to load a roof rack or the roof bars / rails with a kayak for example. Before you could just open the top slightly then drop the lower tailgate keeping the top one closed.

Now what happens is if you have a long load on the roof and open the tailgates the top tailgate tw4ts the object on the roof. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #499655 25th Dec 2018 7:21pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

In foggy conditions in daylight the auto lights often don't turn themselves on. In my MINI if I turn on the fog lights the headlights come on as well. It would be nice if LR followed MINI's example.

Post #499674 26th Dec 2018 8:46am
Red Merle

I don’t understand Confused

One of the reasons for having front fog lights is, when in dense fog, being able to turn off the headlamps to stop the useless glare, when the higher mounted headlamp output simply bounces back off the fog.

Post #499675 26th Dec 2018 10:31am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

front fogs are for other road users to see your vehicle and are not necessarily for more front illumination although they do help...i'm pretty sure front fogs must be used with headlights .

Post #499677 26th Dec 2018 10:46am
pld118

Red Merle wrote:
... One of the reasons for having front fog lights is...

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 -

"Front fog lamp":
A lamp used to improve the illumination of the road in front of a motor vehicle in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

“Front position lamp”:
A lamp used to indicate the presence and width of a vehicle when viewed from the front.

“Headlamp":
A lamp used to illuminate the road in front of a vehicle and which is not a front fog lamp.

Requirements about the use of headlamps and front fog lamps -

25.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle which is fitted with obligatory dipped-beam headlamps unless every such lamp is kept lit–

(a)during the hours of darkness, except on a road which is a restricted road for the purposes of section 81 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 by virtue of a system of street lighting when it is lit; and

(b)in seriously reduced visibility.

(2) The provisions of paragraph (1) do not apply–

(a)in the case of a motor vehicle fitted with one obligatory dipped-beam headlamp or a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination fitted with a pair of obligatory dipped-beam headlamps, if a main-beam headlamp or a front fog lamp is kept lit;

(b)in the case of a motor vehicle, other than a solo motor bicycle or motor bicycle combination, fitted with a pair of obligatory dipped-beam headlamps, if–

(i)a pair of main-beam headlamps is kept lit; or

(ii)in seriously reduced visibility, a pair of front fog lamps which is so fitted that the outermost part of the illuminated area of each lamp in the pair is not more than 400 mm from the outer edge of the vehicle is kept lit;

(c)to a vehicle being drawn by another vehicle;

(d)to a vehicle while being used to propel a snow plough; or

(e)to a vehicle which is parked.

(3) For the purposes of this regulation a headlamp shall not be regarded as lit if its intensity is reduced by a dim-dip device.

Post #499680 26th Dec 2018 12:35pm
Red Merle

I’m not sure how many times I’m going to have to read that for it to make sense! Rolling Eyes Laughing

...okay, 2 (a) seems to cover it 👍

I’d always understood that their biggest advantage was being mounted very low, so as to illuminate the road with minimal glare from fog. Leaving headlamps on as well nullifies this advantage.

Last edited by Red Merle on 26th Dec 2018 12:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #499681 26th Dec 2018 12:41pm
pld118

A cure for insomnia Laughing

Post #499682 26th Dec 2018 12:47pm
Red Merle

Indeed!

Post #499683 26th Dec 2018 12:48pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:

I’d always understood that their biggest advantage was being mounted very low, so as to illuminate the road with minimal glare from fog. Leaving headlamps on as well nullifies this advantage.

+1 that was always my understanding as well and used to appear in the Highway Code as such 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #499687 26th Dec 2018 1:49pm
martinf

Red Merle wrote:
I don’t understand Confused

One of the reasons for having front fog lights is, when in dense fog, being able to turn off the headlamps to stop the useless glare, when the higher mounted headlamp output simply bounces back off the fog.

So you agree with me in the sense that you have to have the headlights on the operate the fog lights.

Post #499688 26th Dec 2018 2:21pm
martinf

I did not refer to front fog lights. Front fog lights were an option on my Vogue. My point is that if you want the rear fogs on in foggy but daylight conditions you have to put the lights onto manual.

Post #499689 26th Dec 2018 2:24pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

I think this is why in a lot of vehicles the front fog lights will operate with just the sidelights switched on rather than full beam to stop glare as RM states.

Post #499692 26th Dec 2018 2:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>