Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Would you pay sticker price from main dealer???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Balloonengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Discounts is the way we are being programmed to think. Just look at the TV adverts. Discounts currently being advertised on items that have never been sold at the lower price (on post sale prices in small print) It should be illegal.

Don't get hung up on a discount, the question is, is it a good price for the car? (or indeed any item?)

You could go somewhere else where the car is advertised more expensive, and they will give you a discount and it makes you feel better as you got money off.

Or its a good price, but its out of your price range. It happens, there are lots of things I would like to buy out of my price range, and happy to make an offer, but realistically unless the seller is desperate to hit a target, or needs cashflow, he won't sell for a loss, and businesses have to make a profit to be in business.

So the question comes back to whether it was the right price for the item, and whether it was the right price for you, rather than can you get it at a discount, and are you prepared to lose it to somebody else who values it higher.
Just like Ebay bidding.

I have a business that sell new items. The margins are small, 10% is normal. people make offers less than my cost price and people do get annoyed if I won't sell it to them at the price they offered! Sometimes they are desperate to buy, and they say so, but won't pay the price and can't buy it cheaper elsewhere, but that doesn't devalue the item.

On the other hand customer service should not be confused with price. I give great service, its part of the price, and the only way of standing out from the competition when margins are tight and prices are the same.

So maybe pay full price and negotiate on service, or warrantee ot extra's

Walk away if you can get a better car at a better price with better service, and be prepared to wait.

But if you can't, and you want it, want it now, and can afford it, buy it, and enjoy it.

Remember, tomorrow is never guaranteed...…. Previously......
Series 1 80, Series 3 88, Turbo 90, 300tdi 90, 110's with 200, 300, TD5
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,
Now 3x FFRR, some would say I should have learned by now......

Post #499854 28th Dec 2018 11:12am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I have to say my kneejerk reaction is to walk away as there is always something available in the margin of a car. The dealership knows that most car buyers will look for some sort of sweetener to give them a warm feeling inside. I'm surprised that given the current climate regarding car buying that they'd be prepared to do something.
I say all this and did it differently myself some 6 months ago. I'd been looking for a 405 for about 6 months and had resigned myself to getting a 15/16 plate if I was lucky. I found a 17 plate with 24k on the clock. All the software had been sorted but there were a number of things the car needed which the dealership didn't really give a tinkers cuss about. I had to fight the good fight to get stuff put right and made their lives a living hell for weeks until it was completed properly. It took 4 months and I was without the car for about 6 weeks of the first 16 weeks of ownership. I did all this because the car was underpriced in my estimation and I could get stuff done by throwing the 165 point check back at them. The sales guy was a wrongun to say the least and had cobbled together some ridiculous Heath Robinson repairs. I got these sorted and used the fact they had bodged as leverage against them for the rest of the work I wanted done. I also contacted LR via this site who called me shortly afterwards and got the paint sorted by an LR approved paint shop instead of the dent doctor type set up they were aiming to use. I did get £500 off the deployable tow bar which helped. What didn't is that it needed to be replaced within a month.
All in all it was worth it and I love the car I've ended up with.

Post #499857 28th Dec 2018 11:55am
CUE99T

Scotland 

Balloonengineer wrote:

Remember, tomorrow is never guaranteed...….

.....but taxes and depreciation is........hence why I like a deal......

Appreciate your words, and you're probably right about just buying it, but when I was proper skint and lost a fair part of my wealth due to the recession I can't help but want to put a protective measure in place should I need to liquidate an asset/liability and maybe its just that......I don't fancy being broke again!!!! all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #499858 28th Dec 2018 12:06pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

I'm pretty sure if I put it through WBAC I'd get the shock of my life........and that my friends is the cold hard reality of now being more risk adverse than I used to be..... all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #499860 28th Dec 2018 12:08pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

CUE99T wrote:
You happy to pay more for something that could be less?

Clearly not - but that wasn't the question Very Happy

I'd want to pay the right price for the car - whatever 'right' means.

In the right circumstances, I'd pay the sticker price. I bought my current house for over asking price because that's what I needed to do to get what I wanted.

The level of discount shouldn't be material - or you'd only ever buy a sofa from DFS etc.......

With my cars I usually narrow it down to 2 or 3 then play them off a bit - but it starts with the Used RR web site and then drop in the names of the other dealers you're talking to - any good sales person (and I know that can be a stretch with JLR) should know what similar cars are on there - or can check pretty quickly.

Post #499865 28th Dec 2018 1:20pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

DFS - Alistair wash your mouth out !! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

All fair points mate, I guess I'm just being cautious as I think its a good time to buy, and they obviosuly think they have something special, so I'll just hold off and see where it goes. Tbh, if they had offerred me something I'd have taken it, and sold my car privately, but it seemed they wanted, boot me in bhollox and sell at top dollar which I think is a bit harsh.

I think the car is maybe 94-95k and at 100 is 5k too dear. It also had 2 owners and for a 17 plate I thought it should have just been 1, however mileage at 8.5k was good.

I'll mull it over. all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #499869 28th Dec 2018 1:43pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Just for clarity....WBAC have it valued at 70k!! all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #499870 28th Dec 2018 1:45pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Just had a look - it's a very nice looking car.

Hard to make a comparison as there are so few & they are all different colours - but that Miami Blue one - WTF Shocked

Post #499879 28th Dec 2018 3:01pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I presume it’s this one?

https://used.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2917563

It’s a lovely car and as there are only 6 SVAs available, I can see why they may hang on for top whack. I can see why they think that - it is a very nice combo and there will be someone for whom £100k is nothing. However the market favours you and if you are in no hurry to buy, then do as said here, leave a price that you are prepared to pay and sit back and wait. Also the time of month is critical and last Thursday in the month are good as they need to hit volume and cash targets to get their dealer bonus as well as invdividual ones.

Maybe pm Gaz Elliott and ask his pennyworth?

Ps @ alistair, the blue one is deffofootballer territory. Gopping is the word! 🤮😱

Last edited by Dolphinboy on 28th Dec 2018 9:00pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #499887 28th Dec 2018 5:02pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Give the guys at GC Motors a ring, they are up for deals, I bought my first L405 from them and had a good experience. They have a couple of similar spec cars available.

I looked on the LR site for the car you mentioned but it kept crashing as usual.

Post #499889 28th Dec 2018 5:17pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Alistair wrote:
Just had a look - it's a very nice looking car.

Hard to make a comparison as there are so few & they are all different colours - but that Miami Blue one - WTF Shocked

Aye, wtf indeed.....at 180k its rediculous!!! But I'm sure someone will buy it.....but maybe they should consult their guide dog first!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #499914 28th Dec 2018 9:11pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

AndyS wrote:
Give the guys at GC Motors a ring, they are up for deals, I bought my first L405 from them and had a good experience. They have a couple of similar spec cars available.

I looked on the LR site for the car you mentioned but it kept crashing as usual.

yeah website is aweful......its in the link above I think.....I do very much like the spec of it too.....just at a ton its seems heavy for a 2017 car. Old model now!! all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #499915 28th Dec 2018 9:13pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

In 3 days time it's two years old AND the old model so will lose a fair chunk of value, so worth waiting 'til then and remind them to check the new CAP guide price and convince them you're their saviour at £90k Razz

Post #499925 28th Dec 2018 10:11pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Well Andy.....I've been on the Ferrari approved used site all morning looking at an FF, and tbh I think they have got a shed load in the car and 90k is even plenty of moeny for it, so think I'm just gonna extend my warranty and keep my car and buy a bit of fun!! all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #500007 29th Dec 2018 5:59pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Here's my 'weekend warrior' outside the museum last summer. It's red and Italian but rarer than a Ferrari, have fun choosing and let us know what you decide on, and of course piccies Thumbs Up

Post #500008 29th Dec 2018 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>