Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Mudflaps - To fit or not to fit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I wouldn't be without them tbh. They are less capable of protecting the side of the car than you expect but much better than nothing at all. I don't use my FF for off roading as such as it's primary function is that of tow car/limo so clearance is not a real issue. I have drilled the panels to accept the bolts for the mudflaps but then the intention is for them to stay there so this also isn't an issue to me.

Post #503042 28th Jan 2019 1:04pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I've had them on all of my RRs. Dealer fitted. The car still gets dirty, but I expect less so, they are also useful in reducing the amount thrown at anything being towed, or vehicles following when in convoy off road, perhaps also stones at the sides of the car and maybe also cars behind on poor road surfaces, especially with blockier tread tyres. Aesthetics inferior to function here. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #503046 28th Jan 2019 1:27pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

^ Thumbs Up Didin't think of the towed vehicle protection.

Post #503047 28th Jan 2019 1:28pm
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey

Why not just buy the flap material online and cut it how you want, rally style dragging 2mm off the floor and sticking out of the arch Whistle

Post #503769 3rd Feb 2019 6:40am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
A few questions please

Just read this thread.

Our car has ceramic paintwork protection, all round mudflaps and is well cared for bodywork and exterior wise. However, leaving the car more than a fortnight without a wash (even if it's only done short number miles/ local journeys) it still needs a good quality citrus pre-wash and firm pressure with a good wash mitt to clean each panel... so, unconvinced the mudflaps are keeping much at bay.

1. How do those without mudflaps on the L405 fare (is the car always dirtier quicker and the dirt/ crud more baked on to the lower sill/ panels areas)?

2. We had a Q7 in the past. It had no mudflaps. The lower/ underside area of the rear bumper near the rear arches (colour coded) got padly paint chipped off what was obviously tyres throwing debris up from the road. Anyone experienced this with a mudflapless L405?

3. Our L405 mudflaps were factory fitted. If now removed, will they leave drill holes in the bodywork (think the lines of the car look cleaner without mudflaps and ours doesn't go off road)?

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks.

Thumbs Up

Post #544335 18th Feb 2020 6:58pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I had flaps fitted on my previous RR and immediately regretted it - they totally ruined the look of the vehicle and alas it was too late to go back due to mounting holes being drilled. Plus it’s very easy to get them ripped off when off-road, which then also results in panel damage.

On my current RR I have not fitted flaps and to be perfectly honest I cannot see much difference without them. For flaps to make a material difference in keeping the car clean they would need to be massive and almost reaching to the road surface as per Defender flaps.

I definitely will not have flaps again Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #544339 18th Feb 2020 7:19pm
pld118

Thumbs Up Vogue... Was your previous RR L405 or L322 (wondering if holes will be left on ours if the mudflaps are whipped aff)?

Post #544363 18th Feb 2020 8:52pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

322, holes were drilled by the MD into the rear bumper and also the panels in front of the doors. When I bought the 405 the MD asked if I wanted flaps and also mentioned that they also had to drill holes in the panels like the 322 - I didn’t ask which panels though as I had ruled them out - permanently! 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #544375 18th Feb 2020 10:49pm
pld118

Shocked

Last edited by pld118 on 14th Mar 2020 7:42pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #547171 14th Mar 2020 7:40pm
pld118

Removing the front mudflaps from our L405 would leave screw holes as per the below images (don’t think that would cost too much to make good tbh).

However, are we sure that the rear mudflaps are screwed in because as per the pictures below, they look like they’re clipped on to me, so maybe wouldn’t leave rear bumper damage if removed?

Front mudflaps (fixing screws visible in second picture. First shows the two lower trim panels that would need holes to be filled/ refinished):

Rear mudflaps (what look like clips, not screws are pictured)
Click image to enlarge

Post #547172 14th Mar 2020 7:42pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I might get me a rear set for the new shiney. On the red 322 not having them resulted in us decorating the front of the caravan in mud and road film every time we went anywhere!! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #547177 14th Mar 2020 8:03pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: A few questions please

pld118 wrote:

1. How do those without mudflaps on the L405 fare (is the car always dirtier quicker and the dirt/ crud more baked on to the lower sill/ panels areas)?

I don't have them on my 405 Ryan... I made sure when i facelift it NOT to buy a rear bumper with mudflap holes! I had all the undersides PPF'd and that keeps chips to a minimum Thumbs Up

Post #547191 15th Mar 2020 12:18am
2010BlackL322

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Horrid hateful things!!!

If you have to fit them but are anything else than 100% certain you want them? DONT drill holes in your car when fitting them! The holes through the bumper and wing panels will show if you decide (like i did) to remove them later on... TOP TIP! They can be fitted using the original holes/fixings and the sides can be stuck using a good quality double sided tape...

My car has paint protection film around the vulnerable areas (sills/bumper edges) that get chipped and thus far has worked well Thumbs Up

Agreed. I’m taking mine off, front and back, bought a second hand pair of lower wing plastic panels, will get them sprayed up.

On the rear, there is just one hole on the bumper, I have bought a set of plastic bungs, 10mm and will insert them. Doubt anyone will notice.

The mudflaps don’t seem to do anything, see pictures

Check out my YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/UHBbLWZXw4A

Post #624261 20th Feb 2022 6:06pm
baz000000

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I fitted genuine mud flaps to my car yesterday. The RR instructions leave a lot to be desired. First up, there is no need to remove the road wheels, there is plenty of room to get them fitted with the car at the max height setting.

For the hole location I used masking tape and then using a cotton bud painted through the flap mounting holes onto the tape. The front set is more entailed as they have you take the outer and backing trim off. The instructions are to drill the outer and inner parts separately but I struggle to see how you ensure the holes align. So I just drilled through both at the same time for the upper hole and the lower hold just goes through the backing trim.

The fitting guide has you remove the backing trim and replacing one of the press clips with a bolt. I can only envisage this is due to concern that wind drag may be too much for the press clip to survive. I doubt it, the upper press clips (there are two) are really hard to extract. The fitting kit doesn't have any replacements so you will need M10 push clips if you follow the instructions. For the second front flap I just left the rear trim fixed throughout. That was a lot faster.

Guide time to fit is just over an hour, it took me and the wife three hours. So probably best to just pay the dealer charge to fit. I think they add to the cars look and will help to keep it cleaner and also any towing trailer or caravan.

Post #628891 17th Apr 2022 2:29pm
2010BlackL322

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Just removed mine, dirt and rust trap, had rusted the fixings and brackets. Took a grinder to get the bolts off, they were soaked in dirt and grime where they attach to the lower bumper cover, no amount of power washing would get to them hidden away. Plugged the holes with some plastic bungs.

Looks better off IMHO, each to his own I guess Check out my YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/UHBbLWZXw4A

Post #628893 17th Apr 2022 2:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>