Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > P040D-00 (2F) EGR temperature sensor replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi jaguar3
The nut at the bottom of the sensor is separate to the to the sensor itself.
So when you remove the nut the sensor will sit in the manifold on a lip inside the hole
I just made the comment in case (as I was) there was concern it would fall into the manifold
Yes you will need the special tool to fit the new sensor.
Interesting to hear LHD cars have components in different positions to RHD.
Best of luck
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #643979 26th Sep 2022 7:19am
jaguar3

Estonia 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Yea, especially steering wheel Very Happy
NEVER EVER will not do this work again.
Got new sensor yesterday (I didnt expect its so expensive, almost 200€) and first, open the nut compleatly. It was easy, I get it loose couple days ago. And I didnt spray WD40 for many days, only once before opening. And this wrench with joint I use to open the nut.

When the nut is open just pull rest of the sensor out. Good thing is I saw it, not bend to broke from the bottom.

Click image to enlarge

Well, finding correct tool for new sensor its impossible here in our country. Need to order and wait for long time. And the cost is also high, almost half of the sensor price. I dont like to wait and I just made it from some 13mm bycicle socket. Yes, its not the best, its too soft, but at least I can start with work.

Click image to enlarge

And then start the nightmare. I dont know guys how it looks on right-hand vehicles, is there any difference in space between engine and car body, but I have no clue how GGDR get old nut back on place to clean the thread first. Its impossible, no space, only end of the fingers can reach the hole. I try an hour, nut fall down couple times and then I hands up and continue straight away with new sensor. I use copper-based grease for oxygen sensors and lubricate thread also.

Click image to enlarge

Same Censored , its almost impossible to get it on the thread. Only fingers ends can reach to the hole. I spend 2 hours and finally get it there somehow. But I wasnt sure the nut is on the thread correctly or not. It looks like it is, but never know, maybe its starts going wrong way and if I will use force now, I will demage the thread and then Iam in deep Censored . It dosent go by fingers (no force in fingers to continue turning, I must to use tool). Nothing to do, take a risk and try continue to turning with the tool. Going hard. Something is wrong. Take a brake.

Finally I discover, the hard force was caused by too big angle of the joint. That was the problem. The joint can turn under this angle only just a littlebit, not 360. But step by step, 1/6 each time, sensor starts going slowly in until finally reach the bottom. Connect the plug and 99% of work is done!!!
1% of work left, need to tight it with better tool and correct force. I cant tight it well because of my self-made wrench is just too light and soft. Max force I can reach is lets say like with screwdriver by hand. Need to tight littlebit more I think. Well, I can start using the car now and keep eyes on that sensor couple days to avoid its getting open before I find something to tight it correctly.
And again, NEVER EVER will not do this work again. Too many risks.

Last edited by jaguar3 on 27th Sep 2022 12:00pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #644099 27th Sep 2022 11:32am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Is it possible to slide a thicker tube over your home made spanner, and cut a gap in it to reinforce your spanner, or is there no room for anything thicker?

Post #644100 27th Sep 2022 11:41am
jaguar3

Well, lets see. Maybe at first I try to find just stronger 13mm spanner with acceptible lenght and cut it as previous.
And finally, littlebit info. When I ask the cost of this work in LR dealer, they say no, too risky. Only in case if I accept engine removing work cost, they can try and 5h in good case. In bad case (if broken something) engine removing for sure. By the way, they never do it.
Other LR workshops show me the door immidietly, when I start to talking about this sensor replacement. They dont want even to try. And thatwhy nobody dont have special tool.
What that mean? That mean most of RR with 4,4 engines drive around without this sensor. And nothing not happening, they all alive and no any issues. Or Iam wrong? Maybe old sensor sometime working sometime not? Maybe when it get hot it start to show value?
Lets try. Make it hot and measure at the same time.

Click image to enlarge

No, no reaction at all. Its compleatly death.
But yeah, thanks guys you gave me the courage to do this work. Now its done and no error codes anymore in the system.

Other question I have, I tinking about buy own IIDTool. Its too expensive, but the question is how often I need it? Still not often, so I dont know, is there any point to buy it? It never take money back, and pay 1000€ for a toy??? I dont know.

By the way, there is lot of thing I done DIY. For example:
1. Make full service with ALL liquids change, incl brake, steering etc. Change with flush the systems.
2. Webasto replacing to analog and control valve deactivation.
3. Change interior light to LED.
4. Swich driver and passenger seats.
5. Change steering wheel.
6. Butterfly valve cleaning and ensure there is no oil in intercooler.
7. Right-side coolant radiator cleaning.
8. Build day running lights from fog lights.
9. Seat heaters repearing.
etc...
Iam pretty sure you guys here can done all this things without any help, but never know, previous experience is always helpfull. Let me know if someone would like to know how I done some of this things, for sure I will answer with pictures.
Thanks again and good luck.

Post #644115 27th Sep 2022 2:20pm
GGDR

Quote:
But yeah, thanks guys you gave me the courage to do this work. Now its done and no error codes anymore in the system.

It's very satisfying to clear the codes after all the injuries to your hands.

And you're the first left-hooker (LHD) to do it.
Or you can claim that at least!

Well done Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #644117 27th Sep 2022 3:09pm
jaguar3

Hi GDDR and others.
Did you finally find out what exactly this sensor really doing?
I dont know, but my opinion is according this manual:

"The active regeneration temperature of the DPF is closely monitored by the DPF software to maintain a target temperature of 600°C at the DPF inlet. The temperature control ensures that the temperatures do not exceed the operational limits of the turbocharger and the catalytic converter. The turbocharger inlet temperature must not exceed 830°C and the catalytic converter brick temperature must not exceed 800°C and the exit temperature must remain below 875°C.
Depending on the DPF temperature, the DPF software requests the Engine Control Module (ECM) to perform either one or two post-injections of fuel:
- The first post-injection of fuel retards combustion inside the cylinder which increases the temperature of the exhaust gas.
- The second post-injection of fuel is injected late in the power stroke cycle. The fuel partly combusts in the cylinder, but some unburnt fuel also passes into the exhaust where it creates an exothermic event within the catalytic converter, further increasing the temperature of the DPF."

Its must be impossible to make proper regeneration without info about the temperature. This sensor measure temp. direct after burning chamber (its first sensor on the way in exhaust system). Is it possible its just for protect the parts from too high temp.? Turbos? Pistons? EGR? Engine it self?
Reduce/cut off post-injections when temp. value goes too high?
Interesting, how EMC works without this value? Reduce regeneration temp. to be sure nothing no melt? Decrease reg. time? Reduce post-injections?

I know one guy who drive 200km/h quite long time. As a result, pistons melted. And he had the same fault code (of course he had also dirty radiators, that was the main reason probably).

By the way, cars without DPF also have this sensor and the same fault code. Why?
With DPF 6 sensors on exhaust. Without DPF 4.

Post #644592 2nd Oct 2022 8:15pm
jaguar3

All wrong. Finally I found what this sensor doing. All is very simple.
This sensor is not related to DPF at all. Its related to - what a surprise - to EGR. Its measure inlet temperature. Depending of value, ECM operate a vacuum valve inside the EGR, wich send exhaust gas to intake thru heat exchanger (if hot enough), or around it (not hot enough).
When this sensor is our of work, as a default, exhaust gas going always thru heat exchanger and never around it. In this case EGR just not working properly and too cold exhaust gas pass to inlet.

Post #644616 3rd Oct 2022 9:11am
GGDR

great research!

. Cheers, Greg

Post #644617 3rd Oct 2022 9:24am
Jon G

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Just want to say a big Thank You to GGDR for this write up.
Just done this job and the Write up was invaluable.
Still took me about 6 Hrs and my hands and lower arms are very sore but it’s done and fitted and the Fault Code is no more 😎😎😎 2001, 4.4 TDV8, Vogue, Baltic Blue

Post #645189 9th Oct 2022 3:57pm
jaguar3

Just to underdtand what exactly we fixing by changing this sensor:

"NOx forms primarily due to the presence of oxygen and high temperatures. By recirculating exhaust gas back into the cylinders, EGR lowers the heat of combustion and thereby reduces NOx. EGR coolers further lower the temperature of the exhaust gas before recirculation, thereby achieving an even greater reduction in NOx.

However, the constant use of cooled exhaust gas results in the engine taking longer to reach optimal combustion temperatures. Incomplete combustion—and the associated emissions—can result during that period.

New EGR cooler has a built-in bypass channel to send exhaust gases directly back to the combustion chambers when the engine temperature is low. Sensors calculate the engine temperature and a pressure valve opens the bypass channel whenever the temperature is below a set value. This helps the engine warm faster, reducing the time for incomplete combustion."

Last edited by jaguar3 on 10th Oct 2022 6:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #645231 10th Oct 2022 7:40am
GGDR

Quote:
Just want to say a big Thank You to GGDR for this write up.

You're very welcome. and welcome to the club. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cheers, Greg

Post #645240 10th Oct 2022 9:54am
Gowsh

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

Hi everyone and thanks GGDR for all the time that you've spent on this and to everyone who has contributed to this epic thread.
I've just changed this sensor and cleared the code which came with my 2012.(aka beast).

I saw the code when I first scanned, and dismissed it as per the usual advice.

Since then I've done loads of stuff and learnt a lot from you guys.

One niggle which I've had is a burning smell from the engine which comes through the vents after a good run when I pull up (it was really bad) even had some smoke under the bonnet but not enough to trace it to somewhere.

I had an oil leak from the oil/egr cooler stack somewhere so I had the lot off and changed all the gaskets and seals right down to the block.
Finally had a oil free engine but smell still there, even after a good clean and giving it time to burn clear.

When jaguar 3 said that the sensor controls the egr cooler bypass, it occurred to me that if the sensor is reading cool, the egr gasses would never be cooled and possibly overheat the egr and inlet.
I'm prepared to be corrected on this but since changing the sensor the dreaded smell has instantly and completely gone!

Just wanted to thank everyone and offer up my symptom of a faulty sensor.

Post #660350 25th Mar 2023 10:31pm
jaguar3

Well, we dont know exactly what those temp. sensors doing in addition to bypass valve. Maybe those control also EGR valve itself. We also dont know how system works when some of the value is missing, but probably there is some "basic" program for EGR operation in this case, not exactly according to real conditions.
But we know we have quite common issue with inlet manifolds cracking. Maybe it is due too hot exhaust gases pass into the inlet. Maybe.
Well, when this sensor is changed we dont need to think about "how wrong" our EGR working, its working properly for sure now.

Post #660395 26th Mar 2023 2:56pm
Mjak42

Australia 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Here in Australia we don’t have a DPF so we can’t figure out what if anything the sensor does and as I don’t have a DPF, is there a need to replace it and should I just keep ignoring fault, have no engine light or anything on dash, by the way Great instructions on how to change sensor, 2011 Voque 4.4 TDV8

Post #660912 2nd Apr 2023 12:19pm
jaguar3

1. This sensor not related to DPF at all.
2. This sensor operate EGR bypass valve (for sure).
3. This sensor help to operate EGR itself (maybe, not sure).

Post #660914 2nd Apr 2023 12:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 10 <12345678910>