Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > New sdv6 engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

I’m guessing the SDV6 referred to by the OP is the latest iteration of the Lion V6 engine? Like Red Merle, I have no issues with it either. I’ve had 3 cars with that engine in various guises and never had any problems; the two RRSs had the single turbo 190 bhp 2.7 litre version and the more recent F-Pace had the 300hp twin turbo 3.0 litre. The RRSs ran smoothly if a little sluggish, but never let me down. The FPace was a different beast, in its euro 6 form in a light(ish) car, that engine is stunning. Bags of power when you want it, smooth, with acceleration like a stabbed rat and in a chassis whose grip seems to defy physics. It also had a characterful V6 growl, but maybe that was a Jag thing! I’ve also driven an L494 RRS with it at a launch event back in 2013, so probably a 240 bhp euro 4, and found it to be OK, especially with adaptive dynamics, but for me the V8 just feels better in the bigger, heavier chassis.

As for fuel consumption, that is a marginal cost issue. The cars we enjoy owning are not cheap to buy or run and depreciation is the biggest killer of capital, but we accept it for the joy ownership brings. Fuelling it is a revenue issue and if you are concerned about the 3 year cost differential between petrol and diesel then perhaps think of an alternative everyday car? For the kind of short trips you describe we have a small petrol car which suits me and Mrs S, but we are middle aged and don’t have children. Clearly for those younger and with school age children that combo won’t be a solution, but its really a personal choice.

If you like the car having driven it and it will get regular long ish motorway runs to allow proper dpf regen then why not. My F-Pace did 10,000 miles in one year’s ownership, 60% long motorway drives and 40% shorter journeys. No early service calls and only one AddBlu top up - and that was because the are not filled fully in the factory. In other words, if you balance the use out, you shouldn’t have a problem.

Good luck.

Post #510314 30th Mar 2019 11:58am
Kasperss

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Carpathian Grey

Hi Andy - petrol model is 26k more expensive than sdv6 and difference in cost of ownership is huge don’t matter what milage you do.From all comments i have received i came to conclusion that the best engine for shopping and school runs is 5.0 supercharge petrol 😂and the worst engine for every day use is sdv6 - completely opposite to all car magazines reviews. Alternatively been advised if you don’t have money for supercharge 5.0 version buy Nissan leaf and safe some money for petrol😂

Post #510334 30th Mar 2019 4:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12