Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > New sdv6 engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kasperss

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Carpathian Grey
New sdv6 engine

Hi, would like to know if the new sdv6 engine is much better than the old tdv6 and how does it compare to 4.4 sdv8, loads of mixed reviews on internet. I put an order for sdv6 as the car will be used on school runs shopping etc and sdv6 looks like the best option for every day short distance driving.

Post #510247 29th Mar 2019 7:07pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

If you’re doing lots of short runs then a diesel is probably not the best, I’d go petrol.

Post #510249 29th Mar 2019 7:21pm
Kasperss

I would agree that petrol is a better option for short distance driving but only if you can get corsa or fiesta. I have Audi s7 petrol and returns 16mpg in town so not an option for ffrr as would be close or worst to that, i still do longer journeys over the weekend so dpf and other things should clean.

Post #510254 29th Mar 2019 7:30pm
Kasperss

Just

Last edited by Kasperss on 29th Mar 2019 8:01pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #510255 29th Mar 2019 7:34pm
Kasperss

Just to add I will only keep this car for 3 years so any issues with engine wouldn’t be a problem as it will be under warranty.

Post #510256 29th Mar 2019 7:35pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

It is no longer covered under warranty if you need additional oil changes due to the engine regularly stopping mid DPF regeneration cycle Sad The last SDV6 that I drove a week ago only had 1,700 miles on it and the first oil change had already been brought forward by 6,000 miles Shocked

Post #510269 29th Mar 2019 11:02pm
Red Merle

There is s big difference between the 6 and the 8 in handling and braking too. If you really must go diesel, try them both; many buy the 6 as they don’t think they need the extra performance. Relative performance is not that relevant, both can lose a license Rolling Eyes Even if you drive them both gently, they have very different characteristics and one of them should be the obvious choice to you Thumbs Up

Post #510271 29th Mar 2019 11:10pm
Kasperss

Red Merle wrote:
It is no longer covered under warranty if you need additional oil changes due to the engine regularly stopping mid DPF regeneration cycle Sad The last SDV6 that I drove a week ago only had 1,700 miles on it and the first oil change had already been brought forward by 6,000 miles Shocked

I’don’t think engine oil have anything to do with dpf filter, i have owned volvo xc90 diesel and audi a6 2.0 diesel all used on short runs and all service i have done was exactly as specified in service books not an single issue over 3 years of ownership.

Post #510273 29th Mar 2019 11:41pm
Red Merle

Okay, here goes...

When the DPF filter gets too full of unburned particulates as a result of not getting to a high enough temperature and having insufficient throughout of fast flowing exhaust gases, the engine uses a system of forced regeneration. This involves pumping more diesel into the combustion chamber to raise the temperature of the exhaust gases. After a time this then burns the particulate matter away.

However, if you’re doing lots of short journeys the engine often stops mid regeneration cycle. This leaves the bores coated with a film of diesel that then runs down past the rings and it’s added to the sump oil. Once the sump oil has sufficient dilution (FOI - Fuel In Oil), it must be changed. The car can’t detect the level of dilution, but it can count the number of times the engine has stopped mid regeneration cycle.

This affects cars from a lot of manufacturers, not just LR, although VW/Audi have had their own, largely unique, methods of “meeting exhaust emission regulations” in the past which might have meant they could be a bit more relaxed about keeping their emissions control systems in efficient working order Evil or Very Mad

Don’t let me put you off the RR, I wouldn’t want to drive anything else now, but the V6 does seems to be particularly vulnerable to FIO for short journeys, although the V8 seems much less so. I do around 35,000 miles a year in mine and it all works brilliantly but, if I did lots of short journeys, fuel consumption would be a tiny proportion of overall running costs and I’d go petrol Thumbs Up If you must go diesel, I’d go V8 Very Happy

Post #510282 30th Mar 2019 5:32am
Kasperss

I think the main problem with short journeys and oil chainge is the fact that engine is not heated to right temperature. Im guessing if i will buy service pack then i will be fully covered with no additional service cost or if im doing around 8k a year one more oil change over 3 yeats of ownership would still cost much less than runing petrol car with 15mpg fuel consumption.

I would love to have sdv8 as i know that bigger engine with nice v8 sound and better performance is the best option but i would like to know if the new sdv6 engine is much better than old tdv6 and if the running cost and lower price would not compensate the difference between new sdv6 engine and old sdv8.

Last edited by Kasperss on 30th Mar 2019 9:10am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #510288 30th Mar 2019 8:09am
ilard

United Kingdom 

There is no service pack option on the FFRR.

I would also look at the petrol P400e PHEV, it could suit your use case perfectly. At least take it for a test drive.

Post #510289 30th Mar 2019 8:25am
Kasperss

Yes p400e would be an option but apparently loads of issue with this system and it could be a very good option but in the future.

Post #510294 30th Mar 2019 9:14am
Red Merle

I’ve only driven the new SDV6 for a few hundred miles, so my experience is limited.

As far as the V8 goes, the downside is that it doesn’t really have a V8 soundtrack, but it does have a nice and very subtle grumble about it Thumbs Up Where it comes into its own is the nice creamy smooth pull from tick over, the ability to cruise at the legal limit at just 1,350 rpm, the fabulous 6 pot Brembo brakes and the semi active roll resistant suspension that’s only fitted to the ‘8 (I forget LR’s official name for it. Also, I’ve found the running cost difference between the 8 and the 6 pretty marginal (and that at >35,000 miles a year!) Thumbs Up

Last edited by Red Merle on 30th Mar 2019 10:43am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #510301 30th Mar 2019 10:41am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Most reviews about the L405 I have read/seen, say the VSE V6 is the "Sweet Spot" of the range. Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #510302 30th Mar 2019 10:41am
Red Merle

I’ve read that too. It’s usually based on the fact that it’s quick enough and cheaper, missing the main benefits of the ‘8 (listed above) completely!

PS: This isn’t “having a go” at the ‘6, it’s a nice engine. I’m just making the case for the ‘8 Thumbs Up

PPS: It’s interesting to see just how many examples are V8’s amongst the membership:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic47597-165.html

Post #510303 30th Mar 2019 10:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>