Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > 3ltr Diesel vs 4.4 sdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I can’t wait to hear what utter BS dealerships start telling perspective used car customers when questioned why has the warranty been halved from what used to be offered.

Also given the price of the warranty is factored into the price of a used car, surely this means all used cars under the approved warranty should now be at least a grand cheaper if not more???
Me thinketh hell has more chance of freezing over. Laughing

Post #525059 16th Aug 2019 2:25pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

any links to the warranty reduction info?? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #525065 16th Aug 2019 3:23pm
andygts

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

To save starting a new thread with pretty much the same title I'll add on to this one.

I've been thinking of parting with my L322 for a while now and going for 2013 - 15 year L405, I've pretty much decided it's got to be an autobiography or very well optioned VSE it's just the engine that I can't decide on.

Are there any lead footed ex 3.6 L322 owners that have moved onto a 3L L405?

I've got a heavy right foot and like to make progress so don't want to be down on power and be stuck for mile after mile on an A road behind a caravan.

I often tow and occasionally close to the 3.5t limit and still like to make progress if the load allows.

I don't really watch mpg but the mpg and tax savings of the 3L are appealing to a tight arse yorkshireman.

My work run is 6-10m depending on what shift/day/route I take.

Lastly what are the 3L engines like with higher migher mileage, are the horror stories that spread round the net to be believed?

Reading back it pretty much looks like I'm talking myself into a 4.4 but I know figures on paper don't relate to how a car is on the road so I'd welcome a few opinions. Current
2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
+ Many other non LR products

Post #525143 17th Aug 2019 3:39pm
Range Rover LSE

United Kingdom 

I have owned both diesel engine variants of the L405 and previously a L322 with a 3.6. The 3.0 was perfectly adequate in performance terms and the economy was good at about 28 - 29mpg for my driving. However having now had the 4.4L for a year I wouldn’t go back to the 3.0L. For me there is a lot of extra punch in the bigger engine particularly in the 50+ mph range and the towing is effortless. I have lost about 2 - 3 mpg on my average and more when towing but I am more than happy and the consumption is better than my old L322 3.6 TDV8. The 3.0 is a very refined engine whereas the 4.4L feels / sounds slightly heavier particularly at idle, however the difference is relatively minor and does not detract from the 4.4L in my opinion. As ever it’s a personal choice but for me the 4.4L just edges it for the reasons mentioned. Range Rover Sport 2023 D350 Autobiography
Gone RR L405 Autobiography SDV8, RR L405 VSE SDV8, RR L405 3.0L VSE, RR L322 BM 4.4, RR Sport, RR L322 TDV8 Vogue, Disco 4, Disco 3 (2 off), Disco 2 and RR Classic & RR LSE

Post #525190 18th Aug 2019 6:54am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

stan wrote:
any links to the warranty reduction info??

Sorry, no links.

I had seen this posted on another site, so phoned the General Sales Manager at my supplying dealer, around a week ago and he confirmed that it was true.

Post #525194 18th Aug 2019 8:07am
Red Merle

I’ve just driven from Bristol to Perth, towing a 750 kg (but large), box trailer and achieved this economy in a 9/2017 4.4 SDV8:

Click image to enlarge

For a “tight arse Yorkshireman” Rolling Eyes Laughing the economy really isn’t bad at all, but the V6’s ruinously expensive susceptability to potential crank shaft failure would scare me much more, along with the V6 needing cambelt changes, while the V8 has the most robust cam chain that I’ve ever seen Thumbs Up

There's nothing to beat cruising at 70 mph, with only 1,400 rpm showing, with instant pick up at any time Very Happy

It's also interesting to see how many V8's are being run by members on here:

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post525206.html#525206

Post #525196 18th Aug 2019 8:22am
Bigfella70

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I've asked and considered this question recently and sought advice from Land Rover Independents. For me a 3.0 would be ideal when the time comes to change from my current L322.

Performance, fuel consumption and refinement all seem excellent on the 3.0 SDV6.

However on speaking with three local Indy's I was steered away from the TDV6 / SDV6 on the grounds of reliability and on the basis of it being a "weak engine". This surprised me as I've never really tracked down a basis for this other than the earlier RR Sports suffering on occasions snapped Crankshafts. Perhaps this issue has overshadowed the later engines fitted to the L405.

Not wishing to be discouraged by scare stories (internet based or otherwise) I believe in keeping an open mind! Ive previously run a Porsche 996 without issues and the reputation they have is pretty poor for engine detonation. Also my current L322 3.0 TD6 has been great over almost 10 years despite all the stigma around gearbox's and lack of performance.

There are some great looking buys these days with the L405 dropping below 25k on Autotrader ads for the earlier versions. I think there can be some luck involved in ending up with a good L405 and as said history and maintenance is everything. Shame about the warranty period reducing to one year within the JLR network ! Current
2016 MY L405 SDV8
2018 VW Golf GT EVO
Previous
2002 L322 TD6
2004 Mercedes R230 SL350
1994 993 Carrera
Range Rover P38 x3
Range Rover 3.9 EFI

Post #525336 19th Aug 2019 8:37am
aljo

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

The warranty period reduction just goes to prove that landrover have no confidence in their used cars Big Cry Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where,s the f**king ceiling!!

Post #525339 19th Aug 2019 9:09am
Red Merle

I know what you mean about not falling for scare stories, but with LR’s own extended warranty specificallly excluding claims for snapped crankshafts on V6’s (under the clause where they exclude “design faults” from cover), that’s good enough for me to avoid them. It’s a shame really, as the twin turbo SDV6 variant is a very nice engine otherwise, being quick and lacking the bottom end lag of the TDV6.

Post #525340 19th Aug 2019 9:13am
Red Merle

aljo wrote:
The warranty period reduction just goes to prove that landrover have no confidence in their used cars Big Cry

To put it into perspective, if you’re unlucky enough to have the equivalent “Approved” used BMW, 12 months has been your lot for a long time.

Post #525341 19th Aug 2019 9:21am
Triarii

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I asked about the warranty change whilst haggliing over my next RR at the weekend whilst stating that they were losing one of their USPs, which apparently wasn't the first time a customer had said that. They said it was because they were extending the one year Approved Used warranty to LRs up to 7 years old. 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #525425 19th Aug 2019 5:44pm
Ukandrewf

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

FWIW i drove both versions and wanted to get the 3.0 for the economy etc, heard the 3.0 was supposed to give the same power of the old TDV 4.4. But....

A) preferred the drive of the 4.4 - the 3.0 seemed skittish and light by comparison to my previous 4.4 TDV 8.
B) a friend told me to go for the big one it’ll be more fun and forget the extra fuel cost - given what the cars cost a few quid extra to fill up seems irrelevant. Have to say he was absolutely right. I’ve not regretted getting the bigger engine. Expected some buyer remorse (I’m that type) but every time i drive it i LOVE it - the 4.4 just makes me smile. Knowing all that power is available...

Andrew --
On my third Full Fat RR
there's nothing like it.

Post #525468 19th Aug 2019 9:29pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Red Merle wrote:
I know what you mean about not falling for scare stories, but with LR’s own extended warranty specificallly excluding claims for snapped crankshafts on V6’s (under the clause where they exclude “design faults” from cover), that’s good enough for me to avoid them. It’s a shame really, as the twin turbo SDV6 variant is a very nice engine otherwise, being quick and lacking the bottom end lag of the TDV6.

The 2 year extended warranty on our 3.0 TDv6 ended in August 2019. The engine has performed superbly. We have renewed the LR Extended Warranty. We have it in writing from LR UK that if the crankshaft fails whilst we have an LR Extended Warranty, they will replace whatever needs to be replaced at no cost to us (provided we have followed service and maintenance requirements... and we do) Thumbs Up

I'd buy another L405 3.0 TDv6 in a heartbeat (and might do in the near future). Unless I'm reading things incorrectly, it seems that more L405 4.4 TDV8 owners on this forum have experienced problems with their 4.4 engines than L405 3.0 owners (accepting that there are more 4.4 owners of course). Each to their own Thumbs Up

Man maths:
Until reading this thread, was thinking about "swapping" our current 3.0TDv6 for a newer one so as to benefit from the 2 year LR warranty wrapped around a newer car and thus avoiding the annoyance of paying potentially "dead money" to extend the LR Waranty for 12 months... less appealing now Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post #526367 28th Aug 2019 5:47pm
Red Merle

Well done for getting that kind of commitment from Land Rover UK, over and above what their own extended warranty provides 👍

I believe you may be the very first to achieve it.

Post #526371 28th Aug 2019 6:11pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

andygts wrote:
I've got a heavy right foot and like to make progress .......I often tow and occasionally close to the 3.5t limit and still like to make progress if the load allows.

You're exactly who the 4.4 is made for Thumbs Up

Post #526372 28th Aug 2019 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>