Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Who knows, maybe I'll end up doing the same Smile 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #526133 26th Aug 2019 9:58am
uzp315

Hi Weegie,
there is the opportunity to create a "dual boot" system if you install may variants of Linux onto a Windows machine. This enables you to switch on and select whether you want Windows or Linux at boot time.

I didn't fancy that, so just bought another disk so I could try it with no risk, and bin it if I wanted to put the Windows HDD back into the laptop.

Cheers
Mark

To the thread:- I agree, all old arguments about whose OS is better, it goes back to Commodore vs Atari and probably even further. I didnt really want to get into that, and everyone chooses what is right for them.
The point of my post was if, like me, you feel it is a noose, here is a simple low risk, no cost way out adn i have to be honest I really do like using the cinnamon interface, it is a joy compared to Win10.
I firmly believe that MS have been a force for good and given us some great SW over the years. However, I do think that now they are becoming more aligned with 1970s British Telecom than a 21st C silicon valley powerhouse.
I'll probably tear my hear out when I do a major upgrade...maybe I will come back and update this thread.

Post #526151 26th Aug 2019 12:49pm
knares

Australia 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

only thing i dont like about windows is reading there instructions,
i can read all day and learn nothing
as its been said many times, only Microsoft can give you a correct answer that tells you nothing RR 2005 4.4 petrol
Any spelling mistakes are the fault of spellchecker
Previous MG J2, CITROEN light 15 x 2 gone unfortunately
Present MERC 180e, RANGE ROVER L322, JAGUAR XJS, MERC 280SE, MG F, JAGUAR S-Type 6v 2003, jaguar s-type 8v 2004, Ford Cougar

Post #526161 26th Aug 2019 1:55pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

@ SausageCreature. Thanks for that, Mark. Thumbs Up

One of the reasons I am interested is that we have a Humax Freesat decoder which has gone on the blink. There are some recordings on the HDD which MOH is keen to recover. Unfortunately, Humax has coded the recording so that they can only be played on the machine on which they were originally recorded. It didn't used to be the case.

I have the HDD out and can drive the disc but Windows will not recognise the files From some research, it appears that it might be possible using Linux.

It would be interesting anyway to have a dual system and I have a 1TB SSD on one of our laptops which has more than enough space for what I use it for. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #526165 26th Aug 2019 2:44pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

An even easier option is to use a portable distro. You can boot the OS from a thumb drive. Ubuntu can do this. Then just copy the files off the disk.

On the Humax free view boxes there is a byte you change in one of the files to indicate is can be decrypted but AFAIK you still need the Humax box operational to do the decryption. 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone>

Post #526166 26th Aug 2019 3:58pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks for that. Looks as if there is a number of options to explore. Thumbs Up John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #526167 26th Aug 2019 4:15pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Weegie wrote:
@ SausageCreature. Thanks for that, Mark. Thumbs Up

One of the reasons I am interested is that we have a Humax Freesat decoder which has gone on the blink. There are some recordings on the HDD which MOH is keen to recover. Unfortunately, Humax has coded the recording so that they can only be played on the machine on which they were originally recorded. It didn't used to be the case.

It has always been the case that HD recordings could not be played back on anything other than the original box. The files should still be visible, just wont play. There are some patches around that claim to resolve this issue but I haven't tried any of them, I just record HD programs on a Plex based system and then have no issues with playback on anything. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #526171 26th Aug 2019 6:51pm
Joe90

England 

I dual boot, well I have the option to boot into Windows 10, but really only do so to work through the interminable update and upgrade process Windows puts you through. (My wife's Windows 10 laptop just took over 11 hours to update). I have Windows 10 in order to be able to support others who may be having problems Wink My linux system has now been installed for over 6 years and has updated seamlessly to the latest version without fuss or time wasting.

There will always be Windows fan boys/girls and Linux fan boys/girls, but the argument that Windows "must be" better because "everyone" uses it is just fallacious.

Whatever floats your boat, but just because ( "I have worked in IT all my life, and Windows is better, I can't make Linux work") you can't make Linux work must say something - pity your customers!
. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #526176 26th Aug 2019 7:36pm
Joe90

England 

@ Supershuttle

Mac = Unix (underlying OS)
Linux = Unix (underlying OS) .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #526177 26th Aug 2019 7:38pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I did for a while have the facility to dual boot (into Windows) but found I hardly used it so I didn't set it up on this Mac (I also spent a while getting "parallels" to work). My best mate used to work for Microsoft in Reading so he set me up with a copy of Windows Ultimate (7 I think) at the right price for the Dual Boot but I don't even think about the underlying OS now just so long as I have access to the apps I want as a domestic user. Geoff

Post #526181 26th Aug 2019 8:11pm
Joe90

England 

"he set me up with a copy of Windows Ultimate (7 I think) at the right price"

There is the rub

No right price for a linux distro. it is free Thumbs Up .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #526183 26th Aug 2019 8:32pm
AJGalaxy2012

Joe90 wrote:
I dual boot, well I have the option to boot into Windows 10, but really only do so to work through the interminable update and upgrade process Windows puts you through. (My wife's Windows 10 laptop just took over 11 hours to update).

Well you must have a crap broadband speed or a very lo powered / poorly setup laptop.

Quote:

I have Windows 10 in order to be able to support others who may be having problems Wink

Thats so good of you

Quote:

My linux system has now been installed for over 6 years and has updated seamlessly to the latest version without fuss or time wasting.

You sound surprised that it's gone for 6 years, i would EXPECT it to do at least that!
My plex server upstairs has been running for many years too, 25Tb of disk attached to it providing full media coverage throughout the house, that too has gone through updates including from 7 to 10 with no dramas.

Quote:

There will always be Windows fan boys/girls and Linux fan boys/girls, but the argument that Windows "must be" better because "everyone" uses it is just fallacious.

Well lets just try and think this one through, Linux is free, windows costs money. If Linux is all what you make it out to be, why wouldn't everyone, companies, government departments etc use it, they could save a fortune. The answer is of course that its relatively poorly supported, lots of peripherals don't support it and lots of software wont run on it. I wouldnt of course expect brainwashed Linux geeks to agree, they're very similar to that well know religious group that keep banging at the door and wont take no for an answer.

Quote:

Whatever floats your boat, but just because ( "I have worked in IT all my life, and Windows is better, I can't make Linux work") you can't make Linux work must say something - pity your customers!

By the same token just because someone says Ive run Linux for 6 years and it's brilliant does'nt say much either. I never said I could'nt make Linux work I could, I just didn't like it, it didn't have any advantages and there were many serious downsides - Solidworks, Autocad, My Laser Cutter and 3D Printer software would'nt run on it. Why on earth would I want to run on it when Windows IS better anyway?

You say you Pity my customers well they'd all be happy to recommend me to other, our I.T. business is now in it's 20th year, Novell CNE and Microsoft MCSE tickets along with Cisco certifications keeps me up to speed withy thing, you pity my customers.... I pity YOU Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #526186 26th Aug 2019 8:59pm
ur20v

A Trap 

My 2pence.... Linux has a place, it’s just a very small place and very specific. Windows is better supported and runs more applications than anything else by a massive margin so unless you have some specific software, coding or hardware requirements that need Linux you are better off using windows.

I do agree windows has its problems, Microsoft is a beast of a company which means it is blinkered and not as flexible or supportive as it could be. My complaints centre around its vulnerability otherwise from my business prospective and personal Windows is the go to but with IOS for surfing and phone.

Dropping windows is very much tipping the baby out with the bath water.

Pity this thread has got personal and a bit of a pi**ing contest.

Post #526207 27th Aug 2019 8:31am
AJGalaxy2012

Agree 100% I just took offence at the comments pity my customers etc, I shouldnt have got dragged down. Unreserved apologies to all concerned.

AJG BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #526217 27th Aug 2019 10:35am
ur20v

A Trap 

Hi AJ, it’s ok, I like to see conversations on varied subjects and get others views, positive and negative, it’s just always better when constructive. Passions run high and everyone is protective of their own opinions especially when they have bought into a platform/brand etc. Thumbs Up

Post #526226 27th Aug 2019 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>